The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Was he the one that had a mental breakdown? Also, idk about that math.

2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

it's not the cop's call whether to prosecute. It's up to the prosecutor. Years ago i had a friend who was a NYC cop and he told me he was reprimanded for arresting someone who had passed heroin paraphenalia right in front of him. His supervisor said they wanted no drug arrests. Period. The fact that the druggie was flouting cop's authority before him and everyone else meant nothing. Prosecutor's office wasn't pursuing victimless drug use crimes. period. even if it was heroin

I think personally you're making a big mistake that he filed a false report. Not saying it couldn't happen because we know that it isn't true. I am saying it is highly unlikely

And of course if the cop wanted to frame him there are a lot of other things he could have done if he were so willing to lie, e.g., guy threatened to kill me, guy said he was going to even the score etc.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The math is correct for the games I included.

As for the mental breakdown I wasn't aware of that but just did a quick check and found these two articles:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26540036/rough-year-mental-health

https://www.gq.com/story/everson-griffen-mental-health

The first one gives the impression that he's fully recovered and good to go. The second one raises a very troubling question about what role, if any, has repeated concussions and blows to the head play in his breakdown?

Given the above, may be best to take a pass unless we got him really cheap (and that's setting aside the moral implications of enabling someone to continue to cause themselves harm if the second article's premise is true).

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Right first up, police in your country do file false reports, I am not going to fill the thread with links to the cops that have done so but here is one for an example.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/04/05/walnut-creek-cop-falsified-31-police-reports-kept-job/

So what is the offence on the charge sheet, felony threatening a public event or family about if the first amendment allows him to say I wanna nut in your wife's eye, is this an offence or not an offence as you state he can say it and not be charged, surely not a felony then?

I will move straight to your last statement, do you want me to post the videos of the cop shooting the innocent black guy in his back or the one when the cop shot one in his car or any of the other numerous incidents your innocent police force has committed, I am sure those are offences but yeah fucking grow up man.

It is the end of this conversation, take it elsewhere.

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The point is he wasn't charged with it and you or I have zero proof he said it to begin with.

Anyways like I said it isn't the thread for this.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think he's capable of contributing more than that, and since he has been more involved in the offense, he'll never be happy going back to that kind of role. I'm not a guru on player contracts, but I would think the Jets would probably only have to pay somewhere between $2 and $5 million a year to be a WR who is a deep threat and only run 3-4 deep routes a game. They'd be way overpaying him to take that kind of role as well.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

More depth. He can't be a full time starter like he was last year but he can play.

blackssmagic and FJF like this.
  8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Moves like this make me believe two things:

1. Douglas seems to know exactly what he is doing and the importance of depth.
    2. Douglas seems to be in touch with his coaches, which is always a very good thing.

9. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I don't see him as a good route runner, possession receiver etc. His value is speed. If he put on 20lbs of muscle or so and learned how to run crisp routes then he's a more versatile player worth around $10mm per but as is I don't think they'd offer him more money than Crowder probably more like $5-6mm which is about right for a guy who will catch 50 passes a year. I think he's a great fit on this team if they get a #1 WR in the draft but I don't like him as the teams #1 or even #2. Time will tell but so far to me he is what he's shown, a 50 catch speed deep threat.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This doesn't have to turn to politics whatsoever, but are players signing quicker and to friendlier contracts because of the coronavirus? If I were a player I wouldn't be waiting too long to sign. Sign the contract to try to get to your guaranteed money quicker. I think they put a covid-19 stipulation into the contracts or something?

11. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I don't think it matters, all players are in the same situation... no OTA's etc. until this passes.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If he had 1.5 sacks a game in 88 games he'd have 132 sacks. He averages .62 sacks per game.

Regardless, your point still stands. Griffen is a solid edge rusher and would be a valuable asset to the team if he came at the right price.

13. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm late to the party just @ work browsing Jets related information and as of 7 hours ago seem that Clowney was "weighing offer from Jets".

I hope he soon accepts whatever Joe Douglas offered him.

I'm starting to love Joe Douglas. The beautiful thing about a soon to be 3rd year Sam Darnold, is that we're now a Franchise who has a very young Franchise Quarterback to build around. For many of years to come too.

And in his first off-season he's addressing our O-Line and looking for an outside dynamic OLB in order for Gregg Williams to utilize him on an already loaded Jets Defense.

In JD I'm starting to trust.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Seems like players are taking less money for shorter co reacts to be able to take another bite after the tv contracts are re done and the cap jumps. The cba calls for a 48.5% split that could go to 49.5 depending on the tv deals. Could be a huge jump and if you’re a player you don’t want to be in year 2 of a 5 year deal when that happens.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

Take it with a grain of salt but one of the Seahawks writers said Clowney turned down $18.5 mil a year from Seattle. If he’s looking for anywhere near $18.5 mil a year, no thanks. I don’t think Douglas would be that dumb either.

16. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Haha, Clowney is downright delusional.

blackssmagic, SOJAZ and BroadwayAaron like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

wow holy shit lol

joe likes this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Clowney turned down $18.5M a year from the team he just put up 3 sacks in 11 starts for his agents should be burned at the stake. Witches! Only witches would let their client do that to themselves.

JetBlue, jonnyd and joe like this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

this is why I said take it with a grain of salt. I’ve only seen one person report that so I’m not even sure if it’s true, but I would like to think that Clowney’s camp isn’t that naïve and the Seahawks aren’t that dumb.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

OOOPS! That's why I always hated math in school!

But yes, my point is still valid IMO.

NCJetsfan likes this.