The AFC East is now wide open.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Mar 17, 2020.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Saying he's the second best HC in the division != Saying he's a great HC

2. DefenseWinsChampionships

The way he let Josh Allen blow a huge playoff lead was coached as the worst coach within the division. Jet fans would have ran him out of town how dare he blow that lead like that. No mercy.

2 games above .500. 0-2 playoffs. He hasn't proved jack squat.

#102 DefenseWinsChampionships, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  3. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

It does, but what we are seeing right now in Buffalo is what alluded us for so many years prior to McDermott and Beane arriving. In the past, theyd just go blow their wad on a couple high paid FAs and hope it made a difference. It didnt.
    These guys have been SUPER responsible and have made it a point to bring in certian types of players. Thus far, they seem to have had a keen eye for role players who havent had a chance to break out and getting players who mesh in the overall team blueprint. Those that havent gotten on board have been shipped out. Diggs aside, this list is sneaky good and the Bills have quietly improved quite a bit in the 1st few days of FA on paper. The hope now is that its not the type of paper improvment that a team like the Browns for example made last year. I dont feel like they are house hold names though so the media may not consider them darlings- which to me would be a bad thing. Here is the list and the Jones and Matakevich signings aside (special teams) they all seem to be well thought out additions that will have have specific roles...
    Here’s what they did with all their cap space:

OG Quinton Spain
    2020 cap hit: $4.75 million

The Bills re-signed their starting left guard for an absolute deal. It solidified a need and ensured that the offensive line wouldn’t be considerably worse than it was last year. Around the league, free-agent linemen are making a killing.

LB A.J. Klein
    2020 cap hit: $6 million

The Bills added the starting linebacker at the beginning of free agency for a pretty hefty price tag. His versatility will hopefully come in handy.

WR Stefon Diggs
    2020 cap hit: $11.5 million

The Bills traded for a top wide receiver instead of attempting to sign one on the open market. When you see Amari Cooper getting $20 million per season, the Diggs deal is a steal at $12 million annually.

DT Vernon Butler
    2020 cap hit: $7.9 million

We’re not 100% sure on this number since we don’t know if the sack incentives are Likely To Be Earned, so we went with the higher of the two options.

DL Quinton Jefferson
    2020 cap hit: $7 million estimated

We also don’t know how Jefferson’s contract is broken down. It’s for two years and $13.5 million, so we split the difference and rounded up for now.

RB Taiwan Jones
    2020 cap hit: $1.5 million estimated

Jones played last year on the veteran minimum. He played 2018 on the veteran minimum. He played 2017 on the veteran minimum. We estimated he’d do that again in 2020.

LB Tyler Matakevich
    2020 cap hit: $5 million estimate

His contract is for two years and $9 million, but we don’t have details yet. The way Buffalo has been front-loading contracts, it’s probably in the $4.5 to $5.25 million range for 2020 so we’ll estimate $5 million for now.

DE Mario Addison
    2020 cap hit: $10 million

That’s a spicy meatball. Addison takes a big chunk of Buffalo’s cap, even at 32, but pass rushers all over the NFL are signing for big money.

SS Jordan Poyer
    2020 cap hit: $8 million (was $3.925 million)

The Bills boosted Poyer’s number by $4.075 million with his new extension. He’s such an important part of the defense that the value is still great.

In the end, the Bills have about $20 million left and can make a few subtractions (like cutting trent murphy would free up another 8 mill) to get a little leaner if needed. Again, these are huge signings- but to menit sticks out as how to do it the right way after doing it the wrong way for so long. But, like everything else, now it comes down to allen. Poke fun all you want- but we think the kids going to be good... to the extent that even if given a choice, thats the kid i want this to depend on.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Don't forget you sucked him off as well btw :rolleyes:

5. DefenseWinsChampionships

Brady is gone from our division for the 1st time in 20 years.

Don't argue with my view points, you just go and ask both Buffalo and Miami (and every head coach in between) what happened to their franchise(s) after they both lost HOF QB's in Jim Kelly and Dan Marino. It has not been pretty.

The Green Bay Packers were blessed to go from a HOF QB in Favre to a future HOF QB in Rodgers. Montana to Young for San Francisco. Very rare. History doesn't lie.

Not even Andrew Luck an awesome prospect coming out could get it done quite like a HOF legend in Peyton Manning did while in Indy before early retirement.

Good luck N.E. Tom Brady can not "simply be replaced" as he's an All-Time great quarterback. Coaches coach and players play and very few ever played quite like Tom Brady (some say greatest of All-Time) and still going strong into 40's (to the point of getting a massive amount of $$$ from Tampa Bay). He left New England. Not the other way around.

Good luck to N.E and Belichick because this will not be an easy road for them and could easily become a long journey. Ask Jet fans 1st hand. Hey. We'll tell you stories of 1968-1969. Joe Namath. Long time coming.

If as an NY Jets fan you can not look forward to a Patriots football game without Tom Brady under center and within their locker room you're the definition of cluelessness for 20+ years running.

I know Bill's record with Tom Brady.

And I know his record without Tom Brady as an NFL head coach.

7 years worth of information.

2 winning seasons. 5 losing seasons.

Don't kill the messanger. It's the truth.

It's hard for any head coach to win without a Quarterback on a consistent basis. Ask Rex Ryan and lots of others. Ask Bill Belichick in CLE with Vinny T or N.E with Drew Bledsoe.

Once again. Bill is now an H.C without a quarterback because his kid QB Jimmy G is in San Francisco. Good luck.

6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. .No way that homonym eluded this pea brain.

Chappy13 and Ralebird like this.
  7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

.. um, ...ok?...

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

As long as we're improved upon last year heading into 2020 that's all that matters within a wide open division. This team is an O-Line, a competent offensive line away from competing for the division.

I absolutely love how these players did not quit after a 1-7 start. I seen these kids fight back, play with heart, never quit on one another, stayed focus throughout advisory especially through Sam's mono absence and I witnessed veterans like a young Adams and a so called locker room cancer Bell both promised us to be patient and they'll turn the season around and then I seen them finish off 6-2 under a new head coach, new defensive coordinator and a different system and week 1 against Buffalo if Mosley never left the game we win week one our defense was dominating and instantly fell apart without him in the middle of our D.

We have two awesome MLBs returning in Mosley and Williamson. Depth behind them too.

CBs who showed promise in Austin and Poole. They need help which is what FA and the draft are for.

Quinnen Williams with rookie experience and an off-season.

Jamal Adams coming off an All-Pro season.

Marcus Maye played all 16 games.

Another full year under Gregg Williams for year #2.

We lack pass rushers but this defense has a boat load of building blocks.

Sam Darnold's 3rd year. He's ready to win.

Le'Veon Bell could once again run wild behind an improved Joe Douglas O-Line.

Herndon healthy is an exciting pass cathing TE out of the U.

Crowder showed us his worth as a 1st year Jet he's the most natural slot receiver I've enjoyed since Chrebet over 80 receptions the perfect slot.

I pray we re-sign Robby Anderson and draft either Jeudy or Lamb @ #11 in order to provide Sam Darnold with a WR trio of Jeudy/Lamb and Robby Anderson on the outside with Jamison Crowder working for Sam out of the slot; along with both Le'Veon Bell coming out of the backfield as another receiving threat (66 receptions last year as a 1st year Jet within a new system) and Herndon returning to roam the middle of the field.

Improve this On-line and for the first time the AFC East is wide open for the first time in 20 years.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

For the record, I think if Douglas turns into the GM that many of us believe he will be, the Jets can turn into a powerhouse very soon.

If Douglas can string together a couple strong drafts with Darnold at QB and Brady out of the division, we could possibly be looking at playoffs year after year in the very near future.

Obviously we all hope this happens, but I think it is very possible and very likely with Douglas at the helm

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

This is a reasonable take. I believe it will take at least two offseasons to turn the roster into a playoff contender given the sheer number of holes we have. If everything goes right in 2020(and there is a 2020 season), we could get in as a WC team.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think its important that people realize this doesn't happen in 1 offseason. JD's rebuild, if its gonna have legs, will take several seasons of steady improvements everywhere on the Roster. I hope Jet Fans don't get caught up in the Brady's gone hype as the team still has to play the games (assuming there's a season to be played) and win. We're in that zone where we don't suck, but we're not geared up for a deep run either. We win some more games, show we can hang with the big boys on our schedule, and yeah, we'll start that climb the same way other teams did.. One win at a time.

Pags2112, J-Raw24 and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  12. Falco21

Agree which is why I said if he strings a couple good drafts together.

Darnold has the talent and drive to be a very very good QB in this league. Douglas has the ability to be a very good GM in this league. Those are two things that we have been missing for YEARS. We have been desperately looking for a QB and we have gone through plenty of GM's.

If we have these two pieces in house and they both pan out, we can finally get over that hump and start winning playoff games.

13. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

Its how it starts for sure. Big names are fun, but restraint seems to go much further for building purposes. If Douglas is smart, the tools are in place (maybe minus gase?) for a turnaround

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  14. DefenseWinsChampionships

Am I the only one who's excited to see a Patriots team on Sunday's without Tom Brady under center for the 1st time in 20 years?

How does your Buffalo fan base that you represent feel about this?

When's the last time Jet fans and Buffalo fans and Dolphin fans could look @ our schedule heading into a season, and not fear a future H.O.F leader and an absolute robot within the pocket in #12 not only once but 2x per season, every year and sometimes 3x if lucky enough to make the playoffs?

And he was fearless too. And tough. This division has hit him hard and hit him often. For 20 years. He wouldn't back down from a dog fight. He got up each and
    and every single time. We all took our best swings @ him throughout a 20 year span but could never make him quit. He would pound his fist onto the field. Scream at the refs. Yell at his offensive lineman after getting blindsided. Stare at his teammates when they made a mistake. He was a field general and natural born leader. Kept Randy Moss and plenty of others in check as a Franchise player. Would see him pissed off on the sidelines and not talking to Belichick. He played with a fire. A passion. A desire. A burning hunger and had the type of confidence that's extremely rare. He developed and turned TE's and underdog slot receivers into unstoppable weapons at his disposal. All of that, can not be replaced man. He was a warrior for 20 years and feared by every defense that's ever lined up against him. He picked apart every defensive coordinator who tried to confuse him while Belichick and the world witnessed greatness from the QB position.

The only weakness we thought we knew about with Tom Brady was pressure up the middle and D-Lineman (NYGx2). I truly believe Brady is the reason why our front office went Gholston, Wilkerson, Richardson, Leonard, Quinnen etc and invested so much into the D-Line. Because we all feared not having pressure up the middle against a robot in the pocket.

Brady could play and perform in heat. Rain. Mud. Wind. Snow. Domes. On the road. He was like no other I've ever seen. And pin point accurate. On the money accuracy. You can't replace him.

Brady vs Manning in the snow and mud and rain and wind with hail with your life on the line win the bet or go homeless and die... You're a dead man walking you take Manning and bet against Brady.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  15. DefenseWinsChampionships

Why do I say that our AFC East division is now wide open for the first time in 20 years and why do I feel and believe that Bill Belichick will never be the same without Tom Brady moving forward?

It's simple.

It's because the greatest QB of All-Time just left not only our division and entire conference but his head coach high and dry of a QB. Belichick (once again, after 20 years) does not have a QB. Heck, he doesn't even have his kid QB he developed under Brady in Jimmy G anymore and I don't see any other Jim Kelly's or Dan Marino's in our division either (because Josh Allen isht one of them).

Tom Brady:

9 SB appearances (6-3 record).
    6x SB winner.
    4x SB MVP
    3x League MVP.
    14x Pro Bowler.
    3x First-team All-Pro.
    2x Second-team All-Pro.
    2x NFL Offensive Player of the Year.
    1x NFL Comeback Player of the Year.
    4x NFL Passing TD leader.
    3x NFL passing yards leader.
    1x NFL completion percentage leader.
    Sporting News Athlete of the Decade (2010's).
    NFL 2000's All-Decade Team.
    NFL 100th anniversary All-Time Team.

9,998 passing attempts.
    6,377 completions.
    63.8% career completion percentage.
    541 TD's only 179 INT's.
    74,571 career passing yards.
    97.0 career QB Rating.

Regular Season:

• Most games won by a quarterback: 219
    • Most games 2+ touchdown passes: 173
    • Most players throwing a touchdown pass to: 77
    • Best touchdown to interception ratio in a season: 28:2
    • Most wins on the road by a quarterback: 98
    • Most wins at home by a quarterback: 121
    • Only quarterback to have three consecutive games with 300+ passing yards, 3+ Touchdown-passes and 0 interceptions.
    • Oldest quarterback to lead the league in passing yards: 40.
    • Most yards in a single season for a quarterback aged 40 and older (age 40): 4,577.
    • Oldest player to win NFL MVP: 40.
    • Oldest position player to be named first-team All-Pro: 40.
    • Most career passing yards with one team: 74,571.
    • Most career passing touchdowns with one team: 541.
    • Most Pro Bowl Selections: 14 (tied).
    • Most seasons quarterbacking for one team: 19.
    • Most seasons as passing touchdowns leader: 4 (tied).

Playoffs
    • Most games played: 41.
    • Most games started: 41.
    • Most games won by a starting quarterback: 30.
    • Most consecutive wins by a starting quarterback: 10 (2001–2005)
    • Most consecutive wins to start a career by a starting quarterback: 10 (2001, 2003–2005)
    • Most career home wins by a starting quarterback: 20 (2001–2019)
    • Most consecutive home wins by a starting quarterback: 9 (2013–2019)
    • Most touchdown passes: 73.
    • Most passing yards: 11,388.
    • Most passing yards in a single playoff game: 505 (Super Bowl LII).
    • Most passes completed: 1,025.
    • Most passes attempted: 1,626.
    • Most passes intercepted: 35.
    • Most division titles won by a starting quarterback: 16.
    • Most NFL conference championship appearances by a starting quarterback: 13.
    • Most NFL conference championship wins by a starting quarterback: 9.
    • Oldest Quarterback to win an AFC title game: 41 years, 5 months, 17 days
    • Most career 300+ passing yard games: 16.
    • Most game-winning drives: 13.
    • Most multi-TD passes: 23.

Super Bowl
    • Most touchdown passes: 18.
    • Most passing yards: 2,838.
    • Most passes completed: 256.
    • Most passes attempted: 392.
    • Most wins as starting QB: 6.
    • Most wins as a player: 6
    • Most passes completed in first half of a single Super Bowl: 20.
    • Most passes completed in a single Super Bowl: 43.
    • Most passes attempted in a single Super Bowl: 62.
    • Most passing yards in a single Super Bowl: 505.
    • Most Super Bowl appearances: 9.
    • Most passing attempts without an interception in a single Super Bowl: 48.
    • Oldest QB to start a Super Bowl: 41 years, 6 months, 0 days.
    • Oldest QB to win a Super Bowl: 41 years, 6 months, 0 days.
    • Oldest player to win Super Bowl MVP: 39 years, 6 months, 2 days.
    • Most consecutive completions in a single Super Bowl: 16.
    • Most game-winning drives: 6.
    If you think Bill Belichick can replace that, you're an idiot. And if you don't think Bill Belichick will miss Tom Brady running his offenses you're clueless and if you think Bill Belichick can ever win a Super Bowl without Tom Brady you're naive and I've got a bridge to sell you because Bill Belichick's postseason record of 1-1 after 7 years and 0/7 in winning a Super Bowl WITHOUT TOM BRADY doesn't lie.

If only Rex Ryan and our N.Y Jets were the one's who had Tom Brady (instead of Mark Sanchez) during our 2009 and 2010 runs. And just imagine if Rex Ryan and the Jets had Tom Brady in 2009 vs Bill Belichick who lucked out with Mark Sanchez. Rex Ryan would have won two SB's with Brady running his offense.

Tom Brady saved Bill Belichick's coaching career.

Belichick was already a career loser of an NFL head coach once arriving in New England. 5 years in CLE with 4 losing below .500 season(s).

BB also failed and went 5-11 during his 1st year with N.E (6th year as head coach) with Drew Bledsoe @ QB (along with a Bill Parcells made defense) and even started off 0-2 the following season with Drew Bledsoe.

His record was 5-13 throughout his first 18 games in N.E after already losing for 5 years in Cleveland. Godforbid Adam Gase had a 5-13 losing record after 18 games as Jets head coach after 4-5 losing years with another Franchise before us. lol. Pitch forks galore.

Then week 3 happened during his 2nd year in N.E & 7th year as NFL head coach (after losing Bledsoe wk two vs. our Jets). That's when Tom Brady happened. Week 3 official starter. And immediately went 11-3 and never looked back.

Greatest QB that ever lived to play the game. Look @ his legendary numbers. He saved a defensive head coach who couldn't win without him.

Like Michael Jordan, Tom Brady is the greatest to ever do it and like Chicago with Michael: New England faithful will always and forever miss Tom Brady.

Mr. Bill Belichick has a career losing NFL record after 7 years (combined) without Tom Brady as his QB - consisting of only 2 winning seasons - compared to 5 losing seasons; and a playoff record of only 1-1 with 0 SB appearances after 7 years.

And no other QB of his outside of Tom Brady ever performed at level of greatness under Bill Belichick's coaching, quite like Brady.

Belichick has always been known as a defensive genius and came up under Bill Parcells. Our DC during 1998 under Parcells.

But he's never been known as some type of offensive mastermind and magical QB whisper and none of his QB's under him (ever) such as Bernie Kosar, Mike Tomczak, Todd Philcox, Vinny Testaverde, Eric Zeier, Drew Bledsoe, Matt Cassel etc ever put up the type of production with pure greatness under center quite like Tom Brady himself.

And if so... who, when, where and what year? Because I'll laugh @ you call you a liar because even on some of Brady's "worst" years those guys could never perform like Tom Brady under Bill Belichick. Ever.

A Patriots team without #12 on Sunday's and with an old Bill Belichick who (once again) does not have Tom Brady is going to be an awesome feeling as soon as come 2020.

#115 DefenseWinsChampionships, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  16. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

In defense of Beane/McDermott you have to remember before they got there the Bills were a cluster fuck of an organization. They had missed the playoffs 17 straight years before they arrived. They have made the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 seasons, they are in good shape salary cap wise, and Beane has built a solid roster around Allen. McDermott being 25-23 the last 3 years is actually very good considering the starting point they were at 3 years ago. As Jets fans we hope Douglas can do for the Jets what Beane has done for the Bills and build a good roster. I am not a Gase fan and I think he eventually will have to be fired before the Jets can become a good team. Back to the Bills I think both Beane and McDermott have done a good job so far. Expectations will be sky high this season in WNY. Pressure for them to win is now.

17. Falco21

Dude, I commend you for the write ups but doesn't it get annoying typing this much shit this often? LOL

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it was a horrible coaching job in that second half/overtime, I agree. I think it was more on the OC, but hey, the buck stops with the HC

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great post! I agree, Buffalo has handled things really well ever since they fired Rex. You should be proud and excited. They are building a really good team around Josh Allen. I don't think any logical fan is poking fun at Allen. He had a really good 2019 season. His accuracy might not be great, but it is good enough and the plays he makes with his legs are amazing in this era of the NFL. When I say it comes down to him, I mean his play can be the difference from the Bills finishing (8-8) or the Bills finishing (12-4). Going into the 2018 draft, I liked the 4 main QB's, including Allen.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Allen is gonna be like Cam Newton. Ugly at times but he can win a lot of 16-15 type slopfests with 1 big play. Ya just gotta make sure the defense can keep the opponent at 15

The Dark Knight likes this.