The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Those were 2 good trades for the Jets.
    There’s nothing wrong with trading mid round picks for quality veteran talent.

I agree you can’t keep doing it every single year, while also striking out on the draft picks remaining tho.

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

No because regardless of if this OL works out or If we are a contender this year.

Certain aspects over the years that have continuously screwed this team over were corrected in one off-season by one man.

That's huge. That opens the door to continued success moving forward, this allows us to stop being a joke of a team in the off season for both agents and players to abuse and use.

This philosophy is far better than what we've seen in a very long time. It's a philosophy that good/great teams us year in and year out.

I'm literally trying to think of a time where we had this type of balance from a GM in FA. I can't think of anyone at the moment.

It's either, we over spend or we penny pinch and sit on our hands without any rhyme or reason.

That hasn't been the case do far this season.

I'm optimistic in the moves JD has made so far. The approach is what gives me the most hope though. Not the players.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You can't do that at all. Those weren't good trades for the Jets because they both ground down two picks one of them a quality pick for basically a solid veteran season of play. Jenkins was more than that for the 23 games he played for the Jets but the main point stands. It's not easy to find talent in the NFL. Trading for other team's troubled assets doesn't make things better in that regard it just thins out the roster over time.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. Br4d

If Ngak is available for a 3rd and a 5th something is wrong with him.

Oh yippee kiyay MF ers we just got Santonio Holmes for a 5th round pick@!

If you look at Edwards career he had one high impact season, two years before the Jets traded for him. Obviously the Browns knew he was not that player when they traded him.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

both good players, money will be the same. Would rather have Clowney since you don’t have to trade something significant for him

6. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

We may miss out on all 3.

Would love to have Van Roten in here

Jets are being very patient...

7. Br4d

There are going to be cap casualties on the OL after the draft when the Jets have a better idea of exactly what their needs are for next year.

I think it is a blessing that the Jets aren't going all in on the 30 year olds right now. There will be time to pick up a decent body in April after the draft.

8. Br4d

They say Clowney is unhappy with the offers he is getting. That makes the Jets very likely in on the pursuit. If they get him he's affordable and if they don't they'll be looking in the latter rounds of the draft again.

9. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

If Dallas is in the mix forget it. He'll go to Dallas

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

While I am pleased with the Free Agency period so far I would maintain that nothing has been corrected until the results demonstrate they have.

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This is where you and I differ.

I feel the results already have demonstrated themselves.

In what way has it not demonstrated the results I've stated?

12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I said go and read my original post, that was a reply to the reply to the original post, so well done on that front.

The poster you had words with was not the same poster either, if you had taken the time out to look back through your huge back catalogue of posts you would have seen it was another poster, not really arsed what you said to the other poster, that wasn't the point, you pissed him off and here you are again, not bad for a nights work, usually new posters take time to settle in.

But back to the guy you are defending here, his reply to me was not really about our OL, Bell or Gurley, he was continuing his bitching from another thread which he was why he was told to fuck off.

I will give you the point of my original post save you the bother...

They are giving a Gurley a digging for a downturn season, his downturn season was still better than Bells, "Oh how I wish our RB had a 'downturn' season like that, the whole point hinging on the sarcastic use of 'downturn'.

Did you not stop and think that somebody who supports this stinking pile of hot garbage is well aware of how bad our OL has been performing?
    Well, I know you didn't stop and think as you felt the need to butt in and had your two pennies worth.

So now you know.

ps and as for "I have read it a couple of times and can't work it out" you worked it out just fine.

13. DefenseWinsChampionships

Holy shit. Joe Douglas is going after Clowney along with Seattle and Tennessee.

Still only 26 I believe and would instantly become our most talented and best outside pass rusher since John Abraham.

I've wanted Clowney for a long time and excited to know that Joe Douglas feels the same.

Our defense would become dynamic for Gregg Williams with a Clowney addition.

Imagine a front 7 featuring both Mosley & Williamson as our MLB's on the inside behind Quinnen Williams up front, Clowney @ OLB along with Jamal Adams roaming the entire defense with Clowney being used as a pass rushing battering ram with Marcus Maye as our deep Safety with Gregg Williams calling the X's and O's. Nightmarish.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Apparently you and I are looking for different types of results. Douglas may have rearranged the deck chairs but the Jets flagship still needs to navigate iceberg filled waters. The only results I care about will appear in the standings.

15. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure there were multiple reports saying the same about Mac in the first off season too. Then Woody thought the team was close and everything went to shit. Like what I've seen so far though.

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Oh, he's not going to be available for a 3rd and a 5th. I thought this was on the belief that we would he swapping our first from 11 to 20 and including a 3rd, 4th, or 5th.

The swapping of our first round pick is what is making me queezy. Jumping from 11 to 20 is a big deal, especially in this upcoming draft.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Falco21

I don't remember exactly what was being said about Mac, if anything, but scouts wouldn't be saying that this is a very different Jets franchise now if Mac was seen as having a similar mindset. That would fly in the face of their comment.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  18. Beki

Beki Active Member

I'm really curious how much money JD offered to Clowney. Basically, we don't have much cap space ~23M (as the 11M cap saving after TruJo cut, will be only available afer 1st June).
    + there should be an offer (~9-10M) on RA's table too and we need money for our draft class too.

19. Falco21

I can see Buffalo signing Gurley and making a playoff push now that Brady is out of the division.

Diggs and Gurley would very much improve their offense for Allen. Allen could be very effective with his leg game mixed in with a workhorse back like Gurley.

20. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Agreed, and Gurley would likely find more running room with the D worried about stopping Allen too. Kinda like RG3 and Alfred Morris, or to a lesser extent, Ingram and Lamar last year.