The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Who did Gase blame?

I don't recall him directly calling anybody out.

Aero, chandler and J-Raw24 like this.
  2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

3. Br4d

Slay is 29 and he's a good CB not a great one. He's Trumaine Johnson level talent.

He's really not worth giving up assets for. If he was a free agent then maybe a mid-tier contract you could get out of in a year if you had to would be appropriate.

mrjet80 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

First of all, welcome to the board.

Second, I totally agree with you that the overriding priority for the Jets this offseason has got to be protecting Sam and helping him develop. That said, just protecting him isn't enough. He needs to have quality receivers to throw the ball to as well.

Third, just because Douglas didn't sign the most expensive FAs available doesn't mean that he isn't investing in the OL or doesn't value its importance. Your assertion is ridiculous. You should consider stepping back, taking a deep breath, and waiting to see what happens. I don't think Sam will be running for his life this season, but if you had your way, he very well may have been. OL play is about the 5 players working together as a unit, not adding a bunch of individual players with big egos. Each player needs to be able to win his own battles one-on-one, but he also has to fit into the whole/unit, scheme fit, chemistry, and know what the players on either side of him are doing on any given play. That is what is most important. You're falling into the trap of thinking just because someone has a big name, and get a big contract, that they'll make a great OL together, and are the best FAs to sign. Your comments about Conklin and Glascow are wrong. It would not have been money well spent. It very well could have been money foolishly wasted. Conklin is a great run blocker, but mediocre pass blocker. He was great his rookie season, but his level of play has gone backwards each of the last 4 seasons, and he racks up penalties. Similarly, Glascow is a very good run blocker, and only an average pass blocker. McGovern on the other hand, is a great pass blocker and average run blocker, and didn't have a single penalty called on him this past season. If you're wanting to protect Sam, then you want OL who excel at pass blocking, not run blocking, and you want OL who don't kill drives with stupid penalties. The team has a lot of holes not just one or two. Signing Conklin and Glascow would have cost $25 million on the cap and would have taken most of our money and cap space available for FAs, and they wouldn't have protected Sam any better than other lesser-known and cheaper FAs such as McGovern.

I doubt that JD "chased" any FA. Just because some sports writer writes that the Jets are really interested in a player doesn't mean that it's reality. GMs are frequently asked by reporters what they think about certain players. No GM is going to trash a player from another team. They're going to respond positively, and reporters may read into that what they want to. I'm certain that he targets players he likes and thinks can help, then determines a value for them and what he is willing to pay. He isn't going to be a chump and overpay like Mac did. That got the team nowhere, and let players and their agents know that they could hold the Jets up and overcharge them. He may have been interested in signing them but once their price got to a certain level dropped out, or he may not have been interested in them at all because he knew that they would be overpriced and their forte wasn't pass blocking.

Teams do have a cap, you know? They also have a salary structure.

Fourth, Douglas is respected around the NFL for his ability as a talent evaluator. Douglas worked for Ozzie Newsome, a sure-fire HOF GM, for 15 years. Ozzie almost never signed a big name, big contract FA. He looked for value, for underrated players who would be cheaper and could outperform their contract. I think Douglas knows a hell of a lot more about OL play (he played the OL in high school and college) and evaluating talent than any of us does. I can understand being skeptical about the Jets given our lousy draft history and the awful GMs we've had. Douglas is different, however. He's not part of that sorry history, but part of a great Ravens and Eagles history. We've never hired such a well-trained and respected GM before. Unless or until he proves to be incompetent, I think he deserves respect and trust.

Gase could have been a negative in the equation, but unless one of Conklin or Glascow speaks out and admits that they didn't want to play for Gase, we'll never know that. Even if it's true, that is not Douglas' fault. He didn't hire Gase. He's not even Gase's superior. They're peers.

#744 NCJetsfan, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  5. NCJetsfan

Huh? I'm not disagreeing with you. I said that I thought that Gholst was the "Ghost" you referred to, and neither are worth the money.

6. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

because he's not worth the money. that simple

we're in a capped league. You need value.

getting a guy who is no doubt an upgrade but at an exaggerated price paints your team in the corner and is a sucker's bet

ALso think back a few years with Tru or Revise? tie that money up in one player and he underperforms and it's devastating

Leicester Jet, Br4d and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Dead at tears and butthurt sandwiches :D

twown likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, it's important to rebuild the OL to be able to protect Darnold and allow the offense to function. But you can't just throw money at the problem. With the strict cap in the NFL, you have to decide where to invest, and the Jets are classic example of bad decisions leading to more bad decisions over years, leading to too many holes to fix and not being able to afford to fix them all with All Pro talent.

You mention Darnold and the fact that they had to burn three high picks to get him, but that decision was forced because 2 years earlier Macc thought he was smarter than everyone else and he "stole" Hackenberg. Once he did that, he was committed to him, so the next year when two great QB prospects were available at the #6 pick, Macc passed on both and took the BPA, a Safety. Once he did that and then discovered that Hackenberg really was that bad, it forced him to do the trade up not even knowing if Darnold would be available. Luckily for Macc he was.

This is just one glaring example of how the Jets have allowed bad decisions to be compounded, keeping them always struggling to catch up, like an addictive gambler. I think Douglas is breaking that pattern, and that's a good thing. It will likely take longer to achieve a winning team, but it will be sustainable, and not like the "flash in the pan" success of Rex and then Macc's first year. Already the OL seems much improved from last season and there's still FA to sign, a draft to be held, and then "cap cuts" to possibly pick up from other teams. Believe me, I'm as impatient (or more) than anyone here, but this is the right approach.

twown, IIMeanDeanII, Br4d and 2 others like this.
  9. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

don't you put that curse on him, Ricky Bobby! :)

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  10. Br4d

Trumaine Johnson was a good CB when the Jets signed him. Not great, good with a prime year just behind him. If he'd played at his established level he would not have been worth the big contract.

Same for Slay.

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Hardly matters. He’s going to the Eagles according to Josina Anderson. If they get him for a third or less, that’ll be annoying.

12. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya Member

The single most important factor in an NFL franchise's success is finding a franchise QB. If Darnold is getting hammered every Sunday, he either doesn't have a chance to develop or he gets injured. Look at Rosen, the guy never had a chance. Rosen might have been good, but he was put behind two horrible O-Lines and that was that. If you have a tight cap, and for the record the Jets rolled into free agency this year with $49MM in space, 14th best in the League, you spend those limited resources where they do you the most good. My contention is that the place it does the most good is protecting your franchise QB.

Having an O-Line that gives Darnold enough time to go through his progressions and throw from a clean pocket, and having an O-Line that will keep him from taking hits, and having an O-Line that will open up lanes for the running game and take the pressure off Darnold and take advantage of Bell being on the roster, is worth more to the Jet's long term well being than a CB or anyone else they could bring in. Successful teams start with a QB and then they build the roster out from the trenches on both sides of the ball.

The Jets aren't contending for a Super Bowl this season, they are in the middle of a rebuild. It's going to take more than a single season to fix this roster no matter how good JD is. As you correctly noted, the previous front office put this franchise behind the eight ball with questionable personnel moves. Get your O-Line in place and protect your franchise QB now. See what he can do when he's not running for his life every series. Add other pieces next year. If Darnold doesn't survive the season intact because of horrible O-Line play, or if he is getting hammered so often that he starts playing scared back there, or if he simply has no fair chance to develop, ala Rosen, because of horrible O-Line play, where is this franchise at next year? Who cares who their CB is?

When you find a franchise QB, you build a team around him and the first thing you build is the O-Line to protect that franchise QB. It's just common sense. If you have to pay a premium to do that, you bite the bullet and do it because the cost of losing Darnold will be way more expensive to this franchise than paying an extra $5mm a year for a pro bowl caliber O-Lineman. If the Jet's lose Darnold to injury, of if he can't develop because of shoddy O-Line play, the Jets will be back wandering in the desert for years waiting for an opportunity to find their next franchise QB.

#752 Inigo Montoya, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    K'OB, twown and mrjet80 like this.
  13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Didn't the Chiefs go 7-8 , Saints 6-2 , Green Bay 6-2 ,

14. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya Member

The Bills also rested their starters Week 17 after the first series. That would have been a loss and a 6-10 record for the Jets if the Bills had anything worth playing for that week.

15. NCJetsfan

This post makes no sense. You make it sound like Colorado doesn't want the OL fixed. He said NOTHING to cause this kind of response. Neither he or anyone else here is saying that the OL shouldn't be fixed.

You make it sound like Douglas has signed a bunch of defensive players and ignored the OL, and that isn't the case. Just because Douglas didn't make the signings you think he should have, doesn't mean that he's wrong and taking the wrong approach. He knows a HELL of a lot more than you do.

Colorado certainly doesn't need you to tell him where we are in our rebuild or how to build a team. He is a knowledgeable and respected poster here.

16. TonyFtLaud

It's not Gase's fault. The way he drew it up on paper was flawless. Players failed to execute his play. Gase even said so.....:p

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. TonyFtLaud

Yeah, we barely held on vs their 3rd string. For me, the Bengals ass kicking during the back half was the bottom.....

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya Member

Wow NCJetsfan! I'm not sure why you are so upset about my post. Maybe you should go back and re-read it. I'm not throwing shade on Colorado or anyone. Where did I say Colorado doesn't want to fix the O-Line? My entire post is all about how I believe the best use of the Jet's resources is on their O-Line.

Last year the Bills front office brought in eight free agents on the O-Line. Only one of them was a big name, Mitch Morse, their new center. The seven others were below the radar type guys who showed potential. The Bills also traded up in the 2nd round and took another O-Lineman, Cody Ford to play RG/RT. They went into camp and competed and they let the best man win a starting spot on the line. Four of the Bills five starting O-Lineman weren't even on the previous year's team. The Bills brought in other players as well John Brown and Cole Beasley, but last year the clear focus was on the O-Line.

What was the result? The Bills went from a record of 6-10 in 2018 to a record or 10-6 in 2019 and it would have been 11-5 if they hadn't sat their starters vs the Jets in Week 17. The reason? The improved O-Line. That allowed Allen to play better. That gave our defense more time on the sidelines to rest and fewer short fields to defend. The Bills haven't arrived yet by any means, and the jury is still out on Josh Allen, but he at least has a line in front of him to give him an honest chance to get better. The Jets owe it to Darnold to do the same. JD should be laser focused on one thing this off season, putting a line in front of Darnold. That's my point and I stand by it.

#758 Inigo Montoya, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Now the third day of getting closer to signing Robby Anderson to a sensible contract.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  20. TonyFtLaud

I hope we bring him back at a sensible #.
    I thought Tampa would make him an offer. They are looking for a speed receiver, there's the Todd Bowles connection and he's a Florida kid.
    Though we all know Robby should stay as far from Florida as possible......