The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

We don't have to release Winters. We've got a lot of cap space but yes. I agree. Kline would be an outstanding addition and instant starter.

2. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

Do you think the jags will take a 2nd or even a 3rd round pick for yannick? He wants big money and does not want to play in Jacksonville no more and jags are having a fire sale with the trades they made. I would give a 3rd this year and a 2 next year for him if I had too.hes only 24 and a beast. Would have to pay him a lot but I’d do it before I’d consider Clowney.

#722 Mr mittens, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

No they would demand a 1st I would think for starters - whether or not they would take next year's 1st rounder instead I'm not sure. I'm guessing a trade for him would cost the top 3rd round this year and next year's 1st. However I'm sure JD already is looking at next year's college crop. If it is weak for pass rushers then he may consider a trade such as this. Generally speaking, he wants to sign as many cheaper contracts as possible but when a player such as this becomes available he may want to pounce if possible.....

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The Cowboys have signed CB Maurice Canady. I hope that Douglas wasn't counting on bringing him back.

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2021-nfl-draft-miamis-rousseau-leads-top-5-edge-rushers/ The top 5 is supposedly a strong group.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Dont need Winters if we get Kline. Winters frees up some decent cap space

chandler, NCJetsfan and J-Raw24 like this.
  7. DefenseWinsChampionships

Injuries can happen. Not only season ending injuries but week to week injuries. It's a battle within the trenches these are big men on both sides of the ball fighting for position; they sometimes get hurt.

Can never have enough strong depth on an O-Line, something we haven't seen for a long time and Winters may not be a very good starter, at times below average but he's very strong depth to move forward with. Unless he's a cap casualty that'll prevent us from signing a key player then I feel it'll be a breath of fresh air to have Winters as a proven veteran but as depth.

I don't want to get my hopes up about Kline. But. If we here @ TGG are already speaking about it, clearly Joe Douglas is aware as an offensive lineman himself that Kline is available... Right? What's taking so long?

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This would have been a nice pickup. The CB market is barren and we have one competent one (maybe two).

9. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

clowney is 7th in pass rush win rate

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...s-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard

10. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya Member

I think Gase's theatrics last season blaming everyone but himself in the media damaged the Jet's brand and may be affecting JD's ability to land decent free agents.

11. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

12. J-Raw24

Or Douglas is being smart and doing what he was taught by one of the greatest gms over the past few decades. Signing high price free agents doesn't win in January. It never has. Building a team of young, high potential, low price players does. Its the reason the top teams get 2-4 comp picks year but still make the playoffs. They let the over priced players walk and keep solid contributors. Then they sign players that are cheaper but have a lot of potential and draft well.

chandler, NCJetsfan and mrjet80 like this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Wake up call for Clowney I guess.

K'OB likes this.
  14. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

no, you referenced a physically gifted person who's play doesn't measure up to his athleticisim... that is Gholston in the extreme... nothing to do with JD..

K'OB likes this.
  15. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya Member

The number #1, #2, #3 priority for the Jets this off season has got to be to put a solid O-Line in front of Darnold. If Darnold is running for his life behind another poor O-Line this year, or worse yet suffers a significant injury due to poor line play, you won't be talking about what a great job JD did being frugal on the O-Line rebuild during free agency. We both know that if the Jets had landed Jack Conklin and Graham Glascow this free agency you would be spiking the football and celebrating those signings and saying that it is money well spent. And you would be right.

Why would you spend all that draft capital to trade up to get your "franchise QB" and then set him up to fail by not investing in an O-Line? According to PFF, the Jets fielded the 25th ranked O-Line in 2018, and the 28th ranked O-Line last season. I don't see anything the Jets have done so far in free agency rebuilding that O-Line that makes me think it is going to be significantly better this season.

I supsect JD did chase Conklin and Glascow but they passed on the Jets to go to other teams and I suspect part of that decision was that Gase looks like a jerk when he gets in front of the media and throws his own players under the bus.

#735 Inigo Montoya, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    K'OB likes this.
  16. J-Raw24

Once the cap hit is released for conklin I will most likely be really glad he wasn't signed here. His salary is 20 million this year. Glasgow I really liked but I am just as happy with McGovern. No way do I pay conklin that much. Honestly I'm happy we chose not to as I also realized we need cb, wr, and edge and have very limited cap space. If we can fill all those hole before the draft I will be happy. Then we can try to make this team even better during the draft and going forward

chandler and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Slow market for Robby, Beachum and Jordan Jenkins. If the prices are reasonable I think they should be brought back.

18. J-Raw24

I doubt beachum come back but I agree. If we can get Anderson and Jenkins on reasonable deals we should

FJF, Br4d and mrjet80 like this.
  19. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The first part of your statement I agree with but I don’t agree with the last sentence. McGovern was a slick signing - he is young enough, ascending, and doesn’t commit penalties (a major problem with the Jets OL last year). That’s a major block whether it is at C or RG. Lewis was the best OL on the Jets last season. Another young tough guy. Decent contract. I can understand your hesitance on the Fant signing - he’s an unknown. If anything he is just keeping LT warm for whoever the Jets draft.

The Jets depth on the OL is already better. I think JD is going to draft two OL high - OT and another interior OL. He may even draft a third on the low end who knows. But so far JD is doing things right with the OL.

It is not a finished product yet - I think at least two more major pieces will be added this offseason.

K'OB, Leicester Jet, Pags2112 and 6 others like this.
  20. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'd even settle for just the "cut Winters" part!

chandler and NCJetsfan like this.