The 2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Culture change has to start somewhere and the front office is the best place.

2. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

That's the same BS every GM has said, and the fan base eats up lol

3. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

As of now we have no choice to believe in Douglas and his slate is pretty blank. I think he did a good job since the Mac sacking.

And he was very active in trying to patch up Oline holes that Mac ignored or tried to filled half assed. But missing out on Glasgow or Conklin is bothersome. We could've made a big stride in truly fortifying the oline with either one of Conklin or Glasgow and then drafting a great 1st round offensive line talent. I just want Sam upright and healthy

Yes he deserves more time to see if he has anything up his sleeve...more than one way to skin a cat. But at WORST I want to see and average oline next year. At worst. Having a 25-32nd ranked offensive line in 2020 is going to result in a long term injury to Sam. He's a big strong kid but he's gotten battered his 1st to years. We have had the mono thing happened but we're playing with fire that he hasn't had a 4-6 week injury yet. He's absorbed some big hits

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Along with a truly remarkable lack of prowess with the media.

Br4d likes this.
  5. Br4d

Beat reporter talks to agent: poof Jets are linked to somebody.

Jets sign big name FA's every year: the rumors have credibility.

Joe Douglas doesn't believe in big name acquisitions: none of the rumors were true.

Next year the linking will have less credibility and so you will be less disappointed. :)

twown likes this.
  6. MaximusD163

There are One Thousand and One ways to construct a roster. Ultimately, what makes a team great are the conjunction of three key parts working in unison, and the first 9 hours of the legal tampering period have little to do with it.

1.GM
    2.HC
    3.QB

If these 3 pieces are of quality, and function like a well oiled machine, everything else works as well. If a HC knows what his QB can do, and knows what pieces make use of that, and the GM can find those pieces, and the QB can be consistent in what he can do... Then you win games.

ColoradoContrails and Br4d like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I thought I was going to miss all of the Jets moves today. Looks like I didn't miss anything??? :confused:

8. Br4d

You might have missed the beginning of the Jets as a rational franchise committed to building a roster that wins most years instead of always running behind hoping to catch up with a few big signings. :)

chandler, stinkyB and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

How much of this failure is blowback for the Osmele debacle?

For the Enunwa stuff.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

does it alarm no one that the team that fired their head coach last year, had an awful culture, purposely tanked is now taking players we were interested in after we hired the head coach who caused a lot of the culture problems?

11. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

It's ok. Yes Conklin, Thuney, and Glasgow would've been great additions. Thuney got tagged. Can't do anything there. Contracts seem reasonable for Glasgow and Conklin. Who knows they didn't come. Would've loved them. Many more free agents out there. It's day one. We always sign tier 1 free agents. Where does that get us? Nowhere. Tier 2 and three are just as good. We save a few bucks and we sign more. Douglas came from the Ravens. When was the last time they made a splash in free agency? I can't think of once. It'll be ok. It's time to start building through the draft. Stop paying through the nose for players. Be smart. Plenty of guys who can still help out there. Don't be surprised if we signed a number of veterans to one or two year contracts. Ones easy to get out of to fill holes for this year while Douglas rebuilds through the draft. Give it time it'll work out.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. Br4d

The next time a big free agent surge helps Miami will be the first time in decades that has happened.

The Fins don't understand how to win at this point and signing a few big names isn't going to change that.

13. MaximusD163

Not at all. I am not at all interested in the way Miami is going about this day of Free Agency.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

So Miami is going to fail because same old Miami but the Jets are becoming a model franchise because...?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

15. Br4d

Not same old Jets?

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It was his own fault, he sucked at changing the culture himself.

but overall I agree with your points, today was a good day for the Jets

17. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Considering it’s the Dolphins - NO. Their organization is a clown show. They overpaid an overrated CB, signed an aging OK LB and gave big money to Erick Flowers.

I think JD is gonna build this the right way. Has anybody considered the fact that maybe Conklin simply didn’t want to play in NY?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

If Douglas is following the Newsome model he'll let the market set itself and settle. Then make informed moves on mid-tier free agents.
    I'm inclined to believe that the Jets weren't really "in" on any of these day one signings. It was all smoke and mirrors along with a few reporters trying to "first" everyone else.

chandler and Br4d like this.
  19. Br4d

Probably right. When he was hired I thought he'd bring in a bunch of talent from around the NFL. He had more connections than most due to his long runs at 3 SB-winning organizations.

Then he made almost no changes to the org chart his first year and I thought maybe he just didn't have the pull I thought he did. Then he got the ex-Cards GM to come in year two as his only hire and I realized that the Jets were just toxic in terms of attracting people at that point.

20. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I like that we are being deliberate and JD is staying firm at his evaluations. Just because you are interested in a player, you are reaching out to a player, doesn't mean they are going all In. It means that JD is doing his due diligence and seeing what he can and can't do right now. That's good.

The only reason I have worry. Has nothing to do with what had transpired so far in this first off-season for JD.

It's the process that was, Kalil. That whole situation legit scares me a little. That was a good amount of money to lure a retired player out of retirement, who honestly should've stayed retired.

Nobody was knocking down his door except for us. Then, we get him in here, and forcefully place him in that lineup, despite is lackluster performances in practice and games.

That's scary to me.

I'm not trying to say that this means JD is going to fail. I think he could be a great GM for us.

I am reserved though.

I knew a lot of people would be disappointed today. Hopefully that will change for a lot of you after the draft.

Br4d likes this.