Conklin plans on signing with the Jets (Signs with Browns)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 1, 2020.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I didn’t want to pencil in two rookies . I’ll take mine as a base line of what we go with. If we end up with a rookie that can kick Glasgow out to guard or send Lewis or winter to the bench all the better.

2. DefenseWinsChampionships

I think we should sign two big name FA's as starters on our O-Line and during the 2nd round draft a rookie starter. And have 3 new starters for the O-Line next year (only 1 rookie).

3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Signing Free Agent players to big contracts is generally not how I want to build the team. I really do feel that the offensive line is a unique situation, for this offseason at least. Darnold needs to be able to develop, and the roster is a wasteland on the offensive side of the ball, so get in high quality players to protect him and draft their eventual replacements over the next two years. The Jets can’t afford for Darnold to regress, and he has a few more years before he needs to get paid big money so use that cash now to help him flourish. No matter how highly touted, rookie OL have struggles 95% of the time as they adjust to the pros. I want high quality OL added before the draft.

As important as Edge and CB are, notice I’m not pushing for big contracts to FA there. I want the team constructed through the draft primarily, but you have to look at where you are as a team and know that the OL needs high quality veterans.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Agreed. And I think the average lifespan of an offensive lineman is usually higher than receivers, corners, runningbacks, safeties, etc. Less direct impact to their head and legs and their games are not built on speed.

You have a better chance of having an effective guard or tackle in year 3 or 4 of his deal than you do a corner.

5. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind two rookies - as long as they are the real deal of course.....it worked in 2006.

6. FJF

2 first round picks with one in the top 10. I’m not big on having to draft a rookie to a starting role after round 1. If it happens great but let’s not have to force it.

7. FJF

2 first round picks with one in the top 10. I’m not big on having to draft a rookie to a starting role after round 1. If it happens great but let’s not have to force it.

Noam likes this.
  8. FJF

Double post

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Those stats don't jive with what I read. I'll see if I can find the article. The reality is, however, that even if you're correct and the article I read incorrect, he's a mediocre pass blocker, and it would be unwise to pay as much as he has been rumored to get for a RT (or any OL) who is not an elite pass blocker.

Then there's the issue of cap space. As I demonstrated in my offseason plan, the Jets are not going to have nearly the cap space that some here think they will, and it would be foolish imo to spend close to a half of their available cap space for this season on one FA.

Right tackles are important, but they're not as important as left tackles, unless your team has a southpaw QB. That's fact, not stigma. To claim otherwise is silly. Yes, some teams move their edge rushers from side to side, trying to get better pressure, but very few teams have a RT who is equally adept at pass blocking as their LT. RTs have often been more the road grader types, they excelled in run blocking and aren't nearly as effective in pass blocking. That is changing somewhat, because the NFL is now a passing league, and road graders are not as important except for a few teams like the Titans who still seek to pound the rock.

I'm certain that the Saints wouldn't trade Ramczyk. Why should they? In Ramczyk, they basically have an LT playing RT and are paying him a RT contract. What's not to love?

#129 NCJetsfan, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

It helps that Conklin is 25 and Thuney and Glasgow are 27. Those are guys you can give a 3-4 year deal to and not have to worry about it.

The Jets really need to beef up the offensive side of the ball in both FA and the draft this offseason. Contracts should have an out after 2 or 3 years and while this FA class is under contract, they need to continue adding talent to the offense.

BradysTornACL likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't really understand where you're getting that he's a mediocre pass blocker. He's allowed 10.5 sacks in his four year career. His numbers spiked in 2018 when he got hurt. He allowed three sacks last year.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=29242

If all of our offensive lineman allowed three sacks each, we'd have the best line in the NFL. He's a good pass blocker and an elite run blocker.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You mean like things an experienced Head Coach would know how to do? Hmmm. I wonder why our HC didn't?

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Actually, RT is now considered as important as most defenses have learned to exploit "weaker" RTs.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Yep. We lost our entire 2011 season because of a weakness at right tackle. The Broncos lost theirs this year because of a weakness at left tackle. The Giants too when they had Ereck Flowers at either spots.

15. NCJetsfan

Check out his PFF pass blocking grades somebody posted a chart a week or two ago. His pass blocking grades were in the mid-50s and his run blocking was something like 87, maybe higher.

The reality is however, even if he is a good pass blocker, we cannot afford to pay him $15+ million per season. That's just nuts. Depending upon how much Douglas wants to keep in reserve for emergencies, we're probably only going to have $35-$38 million at best to spend on FAs, and it could be closer to $30 million Paying him half or over half is not fiscally responsible, it's just nuts!

16. NCJetsfan

I do. Conklin's gonna cost too much and Winters is mediocre at best and is paid too much for what he gives.

17. DefenseWinsChampionships

What would cost this franchise too much, is if Sam Darnold's potential, future and career becomes destroyed and ruined due to no pass protection up front.

It can never cost too much to protect Sam Darnold with very good offensive lineman such as Conklin and/or others. Our defense is in good hands. Invest our money into O-Lineman through both Free Agency and the draft and Sam Darnold will have a chance at NFL Stardom.

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Are these numbers taking into account the expected ten million or so increase in the cap for 2020?

19. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Cap is supposed to be set at 201 million. Every website pretty much figures that in with their projected space.

20. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'm cool with this.

1. Sign Conklin
    2. Draft LT at 11
    3. Sign a mid level G/C
    4. Draft which ever OL position you didn't address in FA in round 2 or 3

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk