My NYJ offseason

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by J-Raw24, Mar 6, 2020.

1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Cap Room: 52,757,793(56,112,397 Sportstrac) ($49,403,190 overthecap)(I split the difference)

Before FA Signings

Cuts
    -Trumaine Johnson - $9,000,000*
    -Daryl Roberts - $6,000,000
    -Brian Winters - $7,281,250
    -Josh Bellamy - $2,250,000
    -Quincy Enunwa - $2,400,000**

*New CBA allows us to push half his dead money back. 12 million hit, 6 million this year plus the extra 3 million that isn't dead money.

** could retire which ups it to $7.8 million. Or could keep if healthy.

Trades
    -Avery Williamson - 8,500,000 - 5th rd pick*

*I would take a 7th for him before I cut him, saves 2 million more and gets return. Some team will do this so they can avoid fa and gets a good player on a reasonable deal.

Cap Room After Cuts/Trades: $88,189,043

Re-Sign: Name - APY - # of Years
    -Brian Poole - $6,000,000 - 4
    -Jordan Jenkins - $9,000,000 - 4
    -Alex Lewis - $2,000,000 - 2
    -Neville Hewitt - $2,000,000 - 2
    - Demaryius Thomas - $2,000,000 - 1
    - Kelvin Beachum - $9,000,000 - 1
    - James Burgess - $1,907,000 - tender
    -Jamal Adam's- $14,500,000 - 5
    Cap Room After Re-Signs: $46,957,391.5

Free Agency

Sign: Name - APY - # of Years
    -Jack Conklin - $15,000,000 - 4
    -Graham Glasgow - $8,000,000 - 4
    -McKenzie Alexander - $5,000,000 - 2
    Mathew Judon - $10,000,000- 4

Cap Room After FA Signings - $10,874,391.5

Draft

Rd 1 - CeeDee Lamb
    Rd 2 - Prince Tega Wanogho
    Rd 3 - Michael Pittman
    - Tyler Biadasz
    Rd 4 - AJ Dillon
    Rd 5 - AJ Green
    - Trey Adams
    Rd 6 - Lavert Hill
    - JR Reed

Updated Depth Chart:
    QB: Sam Darnold, JAG
    RB: Le’Veon Bell, AJ Dillon, Trenton Cannon
    WR: CeeDee Lamb, Michael Pittman, Demaryius Thomas, Jamison Crowder, Braxton Berrios Vincent Smith
    TE: Chris Herndon, Ryan Griffin, Trevon Wesco
    LT: Kelvin Beachum, Prince Tega
    LG: Prince Tega, Alex Lewis,
    C: Tyler Biadasz, Jonotthan Harrison
    RG: Graham Glasgow, Chuma Edoga
    RT: Jack Conklin, Trey Adams

LE: Henry Anderson, Kyle Phillips
    NT: Steve McLendon, Quinnen Williams
    RE: Foli Fatukasi, Nathan Sheppherd
    ROLB: Mathew Judon, Harvey Langi
    ILB: CJ Mosley, Blake Cashman
    ILB: Neville Hewitt, James Burgess
    LOLB: Jordan Jenkins, Tarell Basham
    CB: McKenzie Alexander, Bless Austin, Brian Poole, AJ Green, Lavert Hill, Nate Hairston
    SS: Jamal Adams, Rontez Miles
    FS: Marcus Maye, JR Reed

#1 J-Raw24, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Good job......especially FA. I think this is kind of close to what probably will happen. There is a report in today's Daily News that the Jets have told agents they are looking to sign two top tier OL in FA. Your draft is reasonable - I personally would go a different route on some picks but none of your choices jump out as head scratchers.....

3. J-Raw24

I was just trying to fill our needs without breaking the bank in fa. I left out kicker and punter which should definitely be filled.

4. mrjet80

I wouldn't mind that Georgia K - I can see a team drafting him in the seventh round.

#4 mrjet80, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    J-Raw24 likes this.
  5. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Nice work work overall, I like that you incorporated new CBA details. I do doubt personally that Biadasz will be there in the third round however. This draft is low on IOL prospects.

6. J-Raw24

I don't think it's that low. Ruiz, Cushenberry, Biadasz, Matt Hennessy, Jonah Jackson, Shane Lemieux, Solomon Kindley, Ben Bredeson, Nick Harris. All probably round 2-4 prospects. The best part of taking Glasgow is he can play center if we get Kindley or Lemieux in the 3rd instead of Biadasz. I just felt Biadasz was best case scenario

7. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

They are all 2-4 round prospects but name 1 first rounder. Because there are no top level guys, IOL needy teams will snap them up, and while there are always discrepancies between analysts and team preferences Biadasz, Ruiz and Hennessy are widely considered the top of the class so I doubt he’ll be there, just what I think though.

8. J-Raw24

Cushenberry is rated over Biadasz and Hennessy on almost every mock draft recently.I don't think there will be enough reaches to clear out the 2nd/3rd rd interior lineman. There are a lot. People think this draft class is deep at wr only. It is just as deep at oline. The first 4 round will see 20-30 lineman and wr go.

mrjet80 likes this.
  9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

To be fair. IOL are not high valued positions in the draft. Just because a lot of these guys aren't projected to go in the 1st, doesn't mean they aren't good enough to go in the first or second rounds.

Same can be said for the RB position. A lot of first round talent the last few years especially have been pushed down into later rounds strictly because of positional priority. Not because of a lack of talent.

10. mrjet80

RB is another position the Jets can potentially pluck a future starter late......

11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

This only leaves a little over $1 million in cap going into the season after the $9.6 million for draft picks and does not account for the higher salaries that FAs will receive if the CBA is in fact approved. It also doesn't account for the grievence's filed by Osemele or Faulk and the money we will have to pay them , or the possibility that Enunwa does not pass his physical.
    Alot of good moves and major improvement but one or more may have to be adjusted.

12. J-Raw24

I had forgotten about Osmele and Falk. It is cutting in low on funds. Not sure how else to address our issues. I'm guessing we will have to leave some positions bear, such as corner and edge. Maybe bring Copeland back on a one year deal as well as Maulet. Cheaper and may produce enough to make a decent run. This year should be about fixing offense.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent job! Personally, I wouldn't sign Conklin. He's not an elite player, gets too many penalties called on him, and is a better run blocker than pass blocker. I've seen estimates where he could get paid as much as $18-$19 million per season, so $15 million is probably too low, and I wouldn't pay that. I would love to add Matthew Judon, but I read recently that it's likely that Baltimore will tag him, which means we'd have to trade for him. If so, then I'd remove him from my list.

I'd also re-sign Canady or Maulet and Edwards.

Also, are the cap figures from Spotrac accurate and reflect the $200 million cap? If not, that will give us a little more cap space, I believe.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  14. J-Raw24

Cap figures are accurate. I think Conklin is worth 15/year, but if the bidding went up as you said I would back out. He's a top 5 rt in the league and would improve our run game immensely, which in turn would buy Darnold time. I have also hear Ravens may tag Judon. We will have to wait and see. If so like you I would back out of that trade as well.

15. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

We should have enough cap room for this can always structure the contracts to take less of a cap hit this year. And once they sign the new tv deals cap should go up a lot

J-Raw24 likes this.
  16. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Here is my thinking after all the rumors and everything going on. I might be off on some numbers but could see this playing out. After cuts and other things I say we'll be about 72 million under the cap. Ten million has to be saved for rookies so 62 million to play with.

Resign:
    1. Poole: 8 million
    2. Beachum: 10 million (though I hear he is leaving)
    3. Jenkins: 10 million
    Total 28 million

34 million on free agents:

1. Glasgow 10 million
    2. Vaitai 8 million
    3. Fowler 10 million
    4. Perriman 7 million

That'll leave 1 million over what we have so maybe a trade or release to help get us to that million.

Again numbers might be off but that would be the ideal plan for me.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. DefenseWinsChampionships

No way do i trade Avery Williamson.

A 2020 duo of Mosley and Williamson could be special once they get back to full health. It's a shame we couldn't witness this duo this past year.

You can never have enough depth at LB (as seen last year) and I really like both of James Burgess and Neville Hewitt but a duo of Mosley/Williamson is not something I'm willing to quit on...

18. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I don't see a scenario where the Jets decide to keep Williamson when they are already paying Mosley such a large amount of money. Not to mention the players that stepped up in his absence.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

I feel like Winters is staying, he’s serviceable at guard. I think blindside is going to is going to be a priority, but we’re not going to blow up the entire line with the other needs that still need to be addressed.

20. DefenseWinsChampionships

Guys like Trumaine Johnson will be cut because he doesn't give it his all but someone like Williamson gives his all 100% of the time and deserves a chance to redeem himself next season. When healthy at full strength a duo of Mosley/Williamson will be top notch A+ duo @ MLB.