Two sixth round picks

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ConcordeChops, Feb 23, 2020.

1. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Not sure if this is common knowledge or not:

NCJetsfan, boozer32, Ptflea2 and 3 others like this.
  2. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Speaking of additional 6th round picks... now that Maccagnan is gone I hope we stop seeing the 4th round trade downs to acquire the additional 6th round picks. That dude was really horrible at drafting.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That also includes the ol' trade down then trade back up a round later to get the Trevon Wesco and Brandon Shell's of the world, negating any pick you acquired.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

He sucked at trading picks AND drafting players with it.

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'm glad mac is gone as much as anyone, but he scored with Blessaun with a 6th.

6. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

Maybe the Jets will get lucky in the 6th. Klecko was picked in the 6th and he did alright.

7. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I'd be OK picking a 66-year old Joe Klecko with this years sixth round pick.

themorey, boozer32 and donkey like this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

GO MAC
    [​IMG]

:)

J-Raw24 and IDFjet like this.
  9. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Drafting OL and CBS are very common 6th rd pick but I wouldn’t mind seeing a Kicker. I know many kickers can be found at undrafted FA.

ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  10. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Kicker and backup QB would be nice.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It depends on what you expect out of that backup QB. Yes, we all know Brady was a 6th round pick, but how many starting QBs are taken after the 4th round? If they're going to take a QB - and I think they should - I wouldn't wait past round 5 if they expect him to produce at some point. Unless Douglas has an exceptional eye for QB talent (which he might, or might not).

In the 6th round, I'd look for them to take a K or P, and maybe a CB or gadget player like Antonio Gibson of Memphis:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/antonio-gibson/I5CiDenmam

• Player Summary - Antonio Gibson is a fascinating blend of receiving skills and open field ability — his projection to the NFL level is a little murky due to just 33 carries, yet his field vision, wiggle and functional power as a runner all offer a lot of promise to a spread team who will afford him the same luxuries of light boxes and open spaces that Memphis did. This is an ultimate chess piece for an offense and, with the right blend of slot reps, screen action and rushing workload, he can be high impact.

Updated: 02/24/2020

MDJets, NCJetsfan, J-Raw24 and 2 others like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Recently, the CS at Memphis has a knack for finding those kinds of quick twitch, fast players at RB/WR/Gadget-type player. Gibson is the 3rd or 4th I can remember over the last 2-3 years of the draft. Last year was Tony Pollard and Darrell Henderson. In 2018 there was Anthony Miller, although he's a pure WR. Now there's Antonio Gibson.

They've actually produced a lot of players for the NFL. Their alumni in the NFL who were drafted include Stephen Gostokowski, De Angelo Williams, Dontari Poe, Paxton Lynch, Martin Ifedi, Lonnie Ballentine, Mike McKenzie, Marvin Thomas, Idrees Bahir, Bobby McCain, Genard Avery, Jake Elliott, and others. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/schools/memphis/drafted.htm

MDJets and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I didn't watch him play in college, and am only going by scouting reports and limited tape I've been able to find, but I think he could be a real difference-maker, sort of a poor man's Christian McCaffrey...assuming the Offensive Genius can figure out how to take advantage of his abilities. Here's a decent article that goes into some depth and has some video of him:

https://www.bluechipscouting.com/articles/2020/1/13/antonio-gibson-tony-pollard-but-different

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I haven't seen him play, either, but did see quite a bit of Henderson and Pollard last season, and wanted the Jets to draft one of them. I'm definitely going to go watch some film of him now.

15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Sorry, that it does not excuse a few years of bad drafting. Yes he scored with Blessaun last year but in the very same draft, he whiffed terribly with Politte in the 3rd round. Having a high round player not make it out of training camp probably is what got him fired more than anything. Plus there were numerous warning signs about Pollitte that Mac just ignore but the entire league was aware of.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He is still in the league however, all be it a futures contract, if he gets his head on the right way and not keep fucking his life over he may well show the talent he was meant to have.

boozer32 likes this.
  17. boozer32

I agree but he will have to fall into the right situation. The old school Oakland Raiders thrived on those type of guys. But this is the new soft NFL. I think Politte problem was his rotten attitude. Coaches will workwith a talented guy that just had some bad breaks. But if you are messed up in the head and possible double murder candidate they will move on from you.

K'OB likes this.
  18. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Ilks some options you all brought up. Like those special talent utility player. Brad Smith type guy.

boozer32 likes this.
  19. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I would be ecstatic to have another Smith here. Especially for a 6th rounder. Lynn Bowden could develop into that type of guy. May go undrafted. But he has the potential.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. boozer32

Brad Smith was one of my favorite Jets. Parcells didn't fully utilize his talent enough.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.