Jets 2019 Draft Class Graded WORST in NFL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Martin&theJETS, Feb 13, 2020.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The Williams pick was terrible. The Jets desperately needed a pass rush an and O-line and NOT an interior D-lineman. Williams may be a strong player, but it was a wasted opportunity to fill a big weakness.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

good question, and right now he's the best player to come out of that class for the Jets. I would say no, he doesn't count if you were doing "draft grades" because he wasn't drafted

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the pats haven't drafted well in years. I've borken it down before. they drafted great in the early to mid 2000s but the last decade their drafts haven't been good. especially the last 5-6 years. and with brady fading and aging they arne't the team they once were. it was all coaching and defense. brady will retire, bill may retire but their dominance is coming to an end. they will still be good as long as bill is around but won't be the team they were

boozer32 likes this.
  4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yeah but having a 3rd round premium pick not even make it out of preseason drops this grade down to a D.

5. boozer32

Those guys have been out of football longer than they were in the game. The Jets need professional help in the scouting department. I can't remember the last good GM they had.

6. boozer32

3rd round is a quality round and especially with the Jets picking high in that round. They also blew it in the first. Didn't need another DT and the kid sucked all year as most Jets draft picks do. They would have been better off taking Allen in the first.

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

That's an opinion. I don't mind the pick and I think he was much better than you give him credit for.

8. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying they should be scouting. Maybe coaching. But they should consult on the hires of GM and coach. They're well respected Jets who have stayed connected to the Jets and NFL. They should know in an interview process who would be a good coach. As for a GM they should have input. They might not know all the ins and outs but they should be able to identify a GM candidate who would be good. Enough with hiring Korn Ferry and retired gms who pick their own people. Keep it in house. I think it'd go better.

9. boozer32

I don't think I would want Klecko having input into a GM candidate. The guys you mention have been out of football for over 30 years. They are just not up to speed on what the NFL is doing now. That would be a bad direction for the Jets to go. The Jets can't get it right with the guys they are hiring. Lyons, Klecko even Namath are just props for the Jets and fans. Here look at our heroes from the way, way, way back days. I like these guys as much as anyone but you need people that do this for a living 24/7 365 days a year.

10. boozer32

You draft # 3 in the first round you expect production. He was not dominating at any point last year. I thought he would under our DC. I just feel DT should never be taken that high and if they are it would be a luxury pick meaning you seem pretty set everywhere else. But these idiots keep drafting these guys when none is needed. It is straight up crazy.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Normally, when a GM is fired 3 weeks after the draft, you can assume he did a poor job. :D

Your 3rd round pick not being on the roster Week 1, and your #3 overall pick not making much noise will easily land you at #32 on a list like that after one season. The jury is still out though, as Quinnen Williams still has potential, Edoga contributed instantly, Wesco did okay as a FB and back-up TE, Cashman showed potential before injury, and Austin was way better than expected, besides that terrible TD he allowed.

It will likely end up being a poor draft class for the Jets, but we don't truly know yet. Also, the 2nd Round Pick went towards drafting Sam Darnold, and if he ever delivers a Super Bowl title to the Jets, that would mean part of this draft class was beyond a success.

12. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Okay... He played in like 13 games last year. As a rookie. You don't think you are being a little harsh?

He has very similar numbers to Warren Sapp his rookie year too.

I'm not saying he will or won't be of that caliber, but, relax. You can't possibly know what we got in Q yet.

13. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

That's fine you can bring in Brick Mangold some other respected recent ones. I definitely think they can help with deciding on a coach. As for GM yes I agree it's more complicated and players may not fully grasp how a scouting department, the cap and contracts but they could be a piece who gives input. Korn/Ferry and Casserly/Wolf did not help. Wasted money. Wasted hires. I'm just saying let people who know the organization and have a vested interest help out.

14. boozer32

He played 13 games with no impact. A player taken that high should be a stud. No other way to say it you expect them to be a franchise guy. I could care less about how many games he played it's about the impact he had in those 13. The verdict is out on his first year as underperforming. Sugarcoating it any other way is disingenuous at best. Jets fans need to stop being dreaming eyed with these draft pick and call it like an umpire. Until they show tangible progress they have to be called out.

#54 boozer32, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Jonathan Allen played five games his rookie year with 10 tackles. He's now one of the leagues best interior defensive lineman, with sacks of 8.0 and 6.0 in the past two years on a dogshit defense.

Interior lineman struggle a lot of times their rookie years. Of course it's an excuse. If he doesn't take a big leap in year 2 we can start talking bust with no hesitation.

Williams was banged up all year and poorly conditioned.

chandler likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don't think Quinnen had an outstanding year, but to say a guy that played 13 games on the DL for the league's 2nd best run defense had "no impact"... that just ain't bright.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Allen was a lot more experienced coming in though than Q Williams. I could see Williams having another down year next year, it may take 3 years for this kid to get it right. The question is does this front office have the patience? It looks like the fans don't

boozer32 likes this.
  18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-grading-all-32-first-round-picks-week-16-2019-nfl-season

Ralebird and chandler like this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

chandler and FJF like this.
  20. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

How about Geno Atkins as a comparison? Selected #4 overall, Atkins played in more games than QW as a rookie, but started fewer. Their stat lines were very similar. QW had more TFLs, a lot more tackles, and a FR. Atkins had more QB hits, and 0.5 more sacks. Atkins looked better in year two, and a lot better in year three.

Was Atkins a bust after his rookie year, too, or is only Jets' picks?

SOJAZ likes this.