Things are going well

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFLDayspast, Feb 14, 2020.

1. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

I am not a rah rah person but there are many reason why it is a great time to be a Jets fan.

2 years ago the Jets started a rebuild. I view the trade up for Darnold as grudgingly acknowledging that a rebuild was necessary. If you look at where this franchise is now as compared to when Macagnan wanted to sign Kirk Cousins the Jets are in a much better position. In a way Cousins deserves thanks as he apparently told Macagnan the Jets did not have the talent to win. I view drafting Darnold as the start of a rebuild that has gone very well in spite of Macagnan.

This rebuild has gone better than past rebuilds and better than other teams in the rebuilding stage. Look at the state of the NYG when the Jets drafted Darnold and tell me the Jets are not farther ahead.

The Jets are set at HC- look what the Giants- a team that started a rebuild at the same time as the Jets went through with Shurmer. At least the Jets have their guy and he is the right guy. The Giants started a rebuild and now have a huge question mark at HC.

The Jets are set at QB. For the first time since Pennington, the Jets have a talented young player at the QB position without any question marks. We are not waiting on Glenn Foley like in past times.

Go around the NFL- if a team starts a rebuild and two years later has a future HOF coach and franchise QB they are doing well.

The defense is anchored by a future HOFer. The defense as an outstanding coordinator and a number of young players like Q. Williams, who although is a bust as far as # 3 picks go, will be a contributor for a number of years. The Jets need an Edge rusher and will get one in FA. This will put the Jets defense in the top 5.

Since the rebuild started it has gone well. Go back to the beginning- if after drafting Sam you were told that in two years Macagnan would be gone, Sam would lead a 7-9 team with one of the most talented young coaches in the league and the Jets would have a defense ranked where it is and most people would be very happy with where this is going.

We all like to point out the mistakes but at this point in time the Jets are in a rare position where they started a rebuild and 2 years in things are still going well and we are seeing progress.

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The two really good personnel acquisitions of this rebuild, Darnold and Adams, were both made in ways that weakened the team longterm at least as much as they helped. The Jets chose to take another defensive star on the 6 when Adams dropped to the slot despite several QB's and offensive playmakers with a top half of the 1st round grade still being on the board. This may have led directly to the absurd trade-up from the 6 to the 3 the following year to take a QB, Darnold.

Both players are very good in my opinion and have solid value for the Jets moving forward. However the ways they were acquired further depleted the Jets talent, in particular on the offensive side of the ball.

Then the Jets fell back on old ways again when they signed C.J. Mosley and LeVeon Bell to big free agent contracts in 2019. This improved the talent on the roster in a mercenary way and lit a fire under the Jets better young players to get paid.

I think the Jets still have a chance to complete this rebuild before things go to hell again but they have to do things the old Jets would never have done in this situation to succeed.

1. Lay off the big name free agents. That's a disaster area the Jets have visited over and over again and it is clear that they can't build a team around the owner's wallets and the players willing to come here despite having little chance to actually win.

2. Fix the scouting department for the umpteenth time so that we actually draft players with some talent for a change after the 1st round.

3. Let Joe Douglas call the shots on personnel. All the owners have to do is whisper a big name a few times and Joe D will feel like he has to give that thought some credence. Loose lips sink ships.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Did the op just refer to gase as a h.o.f. coach?

5. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yes he did.....

A head scratcher. The OP did make some valid points but really threw a wrench into the post with that observation...….

What he forecasts otherwise could very well come true. However I personally do not see Gase as a realistic part of that future....

6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

He's not a future HOF coach, he's a very naughty boy. Now go away!!!!

ukjetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

I believe Adam Gase is the next Bill Belichick. I have no concerns about any decision he makes. I don't doubt his offensive play calling ability as a result of the state of the OL. I look at some of the HC's around the NFL and am thankful the Jets have Gase.

9. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

I also consider myself a glass half full Jets fan, BUT this roster is a disaster. This off-season is soooo important.

We have one starting OL under contract, no corners, one starting WR & zero edge rushers.

Our past GMs have really crippled this team with their inability to draft. I wasn’t saying it at the time but thank god Gase talked CJ into firing MM.

Now all we can do is hope Douglas knows what he’s doing

10. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

whew, good to know all is well. We never win any fucking games but all is well

11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Gase is a fuckin beast. No question about it.

:D

stinkyB likes this.
  12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I feel better right now than at any point under Bowles. I'm still on the fence with Gase. I like how the Jets offense started scoring early in games this year. Usually, they had to be down 30 before they scored some points. But Gase needs to further open up the offense and hopefully, he will get some tools in the offseason to help that area. The Cincinnati game stands out as Gase did not have the Jets prepared and they lost to some back up QB.

13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The scouting department is pivotal/ The Jets have been horrible at drafting and cultivating a system that would continue to supply the Jets with talent for years. How is it that the Ravens, Packers and Seahawks continue to reload or maintain every year. That is what is needed around here more than anything.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Hey, @Brook! What happened to the plan to drug test new members?

15. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Nice troll post!!!

stinkyB, NYJetsO12 and Cman68 like this.
  16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

R. You should know better than anyone not to bully anybody. He is entitled to his opinion :) I hate Gase by the way. :)

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Smells like a troll post to me... Either that or this man is the very definition of Bat Shit Crazy.

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Of course he's entitled to his opinion and we're still entitled to joke a bit without calling it bullying, right?

Hating people is not nice, but hating what they do is perfectly okay.

Brook! likes this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

20. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

I was actually thinking Wyatt was in the house

HomeoftheJets likes this.