Per PFT - jets told robby they want him back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 30, 2020.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Crowder's salary bumps up to $10 mill this season. So IF you paid Anderson $13 million too, you are wrapping up $23 million annually in 2 players that... I mean... are they even top 35 or 40 at their position? talk about poor decision making

footballfundamentals likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

However, the receivers in the pool outside of Robby, Cooper and AJ Green are very much slim pickings, I doubt a team would overpay for a below average receiver. Robby is one of the best deep threats in the NFL now.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I disagree with the bold. Unless your emphasis is on the word threat, as opposed to accomplished. He did better, finally, in the second half of this past season, but that could be considered a fluke, or entirely due to his desire to get a big FA contract. He has not produced a strong body of work that can be depended on as an indicator of what he will actually do. I'm not saying he sucks, or that it's not possible that he achieves his potential, but it's certainly not guaranteed. I would prefer getting someone like Perriman who is similar to Robby with better physical attributes, or Cobb who is older and more of a possession guy, but would move the chains consistently, and then draft a #1 WR.

chandler likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

Deep threat is a deep threat (wherever that be accomplished and / or his skill-set), he opens up a ton underneath and has torched plenty of good DBs in this league. How can he be considered a fluke when he did the same thing with McCown when he came into the league? IDK you guys need to go back and watch the years prior as well. He has not produced a strong body of work because our QB play has been inconsistent. Falk couldn't even throw him the football.

Perriman, is also another boom or bust candidate, he had horrible hands in Baltimore, MAYBE he's turning the corner? Cobb? Really? At best he was getting 3rd corners on the depth chart.

5. BrowningNagle

at least with Cobb, when Darnold takes the snap he can trust that Cobb will be where he is supposed to be. Oh yeah, and considerably cheaper

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

Nah, he can't get deep like Robby can. That's one of the main things we need in this offense. Cobb as your deep threat is pretty funny.

7. BrowningNagle

Cobb would not be the deep threat, the deep threat is already on the roster. Anderson isn't even that much of a deep threat. if that's your reason then you should want an upgrade

8. ColoradoContrails

When a guy is inconsistent he;s not as big a threat. Up until the last 8 games where he became more consistent, he wasn't as effective. Maybe he's turned the corner, but can we really say for sure? I don't think so. He's not very good at running routes, and he gets muscled off his line easily. He's not very effective in 50-50 balls, and Darnold throws a lot of them. I think Darnold is a FQB, but he's not the most accurate passer. That's okay as long as you have guys who can win contested balls, and RA isn't that type of receiver from what he's shown so far. You can say the same things about Perriman, except that physically he's stronger and therefore might be expected to be able to win more contested balls, plus, he'll be cheaper. As for Cobb, I acknowledged he's not anything like Anderson, but he will run the right routes and catch most of what's thrown to him, and that counts for a lot.

9. ColoradoContrails

Who said he would be the deep threat? I specifically said he would NOT be, and would hope they draft a deep threat WR instead.

10. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Wait, so is the replacement deep threat already on the roster or does he need to be drafted?

Red Menace likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

Cobb is a YAC guy. Jets need receivers that can win / produce in a number of ways. Crowder plays that role. If Q comes back he plays that role.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/27/pff-jets-wr-robby-anderson-among-nfls-top-deep-threats/

Link indicates you are incorrect, he is a very good deep threat.

Deep Threat
    YAC Guy
    Big Body possession receiver.

Jets need flexibility in this draft, and cannot be shoehorned in terms of drafting a receiver in RD1. This is a critical year for Darnold.

12. 101GangGreen101

Again, him not being a deep threat and a good one is untrue. You fail to mention that Darnold was barely healthy and he had Falk / Trevor out there throwing him passes for a decent number of games. He's been open on a number of occasions and the QB did not look his way.

He's capable of winning 50 / 50 balls but his bread and butter is getting down the field and stretching the defense, he's capable of doing so.

K'OB and Red Menace like this.
  13. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

The teams you are referring to that let homegrown talent walk already have a pipeline of talent set up. They already have the replacement on the roster ready to go.

We aren't there yet. Hopefully Joe Douglas is that guy who will start drafting well and put us in the position of having to make tough choices on talent... but not yet.

Let's not waste a year of Darnolds development getting ahead of ourselves.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

14. 101GangGreen101

Vyncint Smith clearly.

Sweet Henry Riggs III at pick 11, woo!

15. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Because they signed RA to replace him.

Ralebird likes this.
  16. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

The most logical answer would be us overpaying

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he can't sign someone that doesn't exist though. Robby is easily the best FA WR out there. only other one better could be cooper but it's doubtful dallas doesn't keep him plus it would cost us way more then robby

18. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

That doesn't matter. He has to be able to make that someone exist. A good GM could. Typical Jets. Hiring another bum. That's why the organization has sucked for 50 years.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

;)

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

LMAO right. some people man

20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You're wasting your breath.

If they can't understand that Robby has been robbed of 2 1000 yard seasons due to QB injuries and OC's deciding a deep ball wasn't necessary until they got desperate then bleat on about his stats only being rated at 46th or whatever it was.

No, he isn't a number 1 WR but he is a deep threat with a few more routes than given credit for and if we finally improve the damned OL and give Sam 2-3 seconds more time on the ball then Robby's number will only go upwards, absolute stupidity to jettison him now, of course, it has to be at the right price and for me, that price is 12m and a 4-year deal.

I am sure some of these guys are just sore because he hasn't snapped like the twig he is and like most people predicted he wouldn't make it unless he put on 40lb, he has had 1 ankle problem in 4 seasons and only then due to some CB stamping him on the sly.