Jaguars to play 2 home games in London next season

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by GREG, Feb 4, 2020.

1. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Well that’s a big fuck you to Jacksonville. I wonder if they are offsetting the season ticket price?

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

They are, that's why they agreed to the London games in the 1st place.... they took the tarps off, better chance of selling it out by having people commit to 6 games... plus theyre gonna probably gonna SUCK this year ;)

FJF likes this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

As an Englishman I still don't think this is right tbh, I would hate it if my football team had to play a game in the USA or elsewhere in a vain attempt to make it popular and grab some extra revenue.

Those of us that like American football like it already, those that hate it call it a game for puffs with all that gear on and they will never change their minds.

Brook! and Leicester Jet like this.
  5. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. Most fans or potential fans have already "picked their team" and won't change just because a team is playing/based in London.

Are Jacksonville really having big problems selling their home games out. Two home games being played in a foreign country would really tick me off if I was a season ticket holder, even if they cut the season ticket price. It might cost them in the long run if season tickets holders stop buying or perhaps they have plans to "relocate"?

K'OB likes this.
  6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Don't they make significantly more from a London game than they do from one in Jax? I'm sure it was reported last year.

7. stinkyB

Well, it's the smallest market (outside of Green Bay) and has a stadium bigger than NE..... sadly still sell out more than the Dolphins and Bucs

Leicester Jet likes this.
  8. NYJ79

NYJ79 Well-Known Member

Jacksonville is a smaller market than Buffalo or New Orleans!?

9. stinkyB

Actually... I stand corrected ;) (especially after Katrina) I shouldve typed "one of the smallest..."

10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

That is just plain WRONG,,,,,I know some of you guys are from the Florida area and I know people who have Jax season tix and will reach out to them,,,,,,,,thoughts ? IMO this sux ass

11. stinkyB

I actually have several friends with season tix... havent spoken to them about this yet though, but overall, yes I agree it's bullshit

CBG likes this.
  12. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Ticket sales go to the league, not the team as part of the revenue share. All teams receive an equal amount of money regardless of tickets sold by that team.

13. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I know. I thought it was 60% direct to the home team and 40% to the league for sharing though, but this might be wrong. It's the ancillary things like hospitality that the team keeps and London generates far more of. I didn't quite understand how they generated much more from London games, perhaps it is league income they were referencing, but I know I heard it somewhere.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The article here says differently. National revenues get divided equally among the teams and include TV, merchandising and licensing. Local revenues are retained by the teams and include ticket sales and local sponsorships.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/062515/how-nfl-makes-money.asp

15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

So all of the no-shows, people reneging on their PSLs, and long time season ticket holders throwing in the towel at The New Dump are not even making a microscopic dent. I mean, I already knew that, but spelling it out made my hemorrhoids worse. I mean my agita. Both.

Oh, well, the players should do some sightseeing in London and make the best of it. Nothing special to see in Jacksonville except a bunch of rednecks and poverty as far as I know. I haven't been through there since '76, so maybe it has changed for the better? Yes, I'm old; but 1976, not 1876, in case anyone is wondering. :/

K'OB likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that's not true

one thing though is that in Jacksonville now they can sell season tickets for cheaper. They get a 6 game price, rest of the country paying 8 game price. So its a matter of perspective whether the local Jax fans are getting screwed or not.

Times are tough for alot of folks in this country, maybe having cheaper season tix is good for them, who knows.

17. TonyFtLaud

Actually it is true. All teams share ticket revenue and merchandise sales with the exception of Dallas who keep 100% of their merchandise sales and receive none of the merchandise share. I believe teams are alotted 60% of their home gate for stadium maintenance and game day expenses and 40% goes into the league pool with 100% of merchandise.

18. TonyFtLaud

No shows have already paid so they have no impact. PSL money goes to the team but NFL ticket sales are a very small amount of the money generated by the league so it's not hurting the Johnson's.

19. TonyFtLaud

It's inaccurate. The split is actually 60/40. 40 % of ticket sales and 100% of merchandise sales are pooled. With the Cowboys being exempt from the merchandise share.

20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Yeah. Next thing I know you're gonna tell me there's no such thing as The Great Pumpkin. You bastard!

The no shows are more a televised embarrassment that the camera always pans away from, but the empties are a combination of no shows and bailees. Bailees, that's actually a word, but the known meaning is off. Webster needs to amend that. What I mean is people who jumped ship. Me and words, words an I. Those bailees were probably bailing water from that ship before they jumped. That was fun.

TonyFtLaud likes this.