SB: Defense wins championships? About to find out.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Footballgod214, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

With just hours to go b4 kickoff, let's continue the debate.

SanFran is known for its Defense, D-Line, and running the ball. All they ask of their QB is to not fuck it up (he only threw 8 passes in the NFCCG). Sounds a lot like the Rex Ryan's NY Jets of '09/'10.

Chiefs have been nicknamed the Legion of Zoom with their high powered offense triggered by Mahomes throwing darts to Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce.

I really like Mahomes, but I also think Defense really does win the big games.

I'm torn!

MJK likes this.
  2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

AS A FB mavin explain to us how the Niners can stop all that spees plus Mahones legs:mad:

3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

That was before they changed all the rules in favor of Offenses. Now, Offense wins championships. If San Fran wins, it won't only be due to their defense. Shanahan is an impressive Offensive Mind and his team will score tons of points.

P.S: I moved this to NFL as it has no bearing to Jets.

Thanks.

Friendly mod Brook!

J-Raw24 likes this.
  4. Footballgod214

Thank you for killing this off. There's SO MUCH going on in the main forum we don't need this gibberish.

5. Brook!

Definitely not gibberish. Great topic indeed. Sorry if you thought that way. My apologies. But we have a lot of posters who report threads that don’t belong in the Jets forum. It is also forum rules. That’s why it was moved.

Ralebird likes this.
  6. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Not really accurate...NE defense shut down the Rams #1 offense last year...Denver's D shut down Carolinas #1 offense a few years ago...Seattle shut down both Manning and Brady...I still believe a elite defense shuts down a elite offense...I'm not sure if SF is truly a elite defense tho....they struggle in the secondary and struggle vs mobile QBs...I'm torn on this game also it's a true pickem.

Brook! likes this.
  7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If the 49ers do win today, which I do think they have a good chance it will be because they run the ball down the Chiefs throat.

I don’t think SFs D can shut KCs O down but I do think they can control the clock and limit the ZkC Os chances.

The 3 possible outcomes I see today are Chiefs win a blowout, Chiefs win a close game or SF wins a close game. I’m rooting for either close game option, would like to see Reid win one but just hopes it’s a great game.

8. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Nah that doesn't sound like Rex's Jets. The part about running the ball and playing D does but not the part about asking the QB to not eff things up.

9. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

when they were successful it absolutely was...when he opened up the offense is when the team and Sanchez went in the tank.

10. WarriorRB28

If the Chiefs play sloppy to start the game again, get down by double digits they're not coming back to win this time.

If they jump on top of the 49ers early I think they blow them out.

I think this game has a strong probability of a Chiefs blowout win. KC has too much going for them coming into the game.

And I think the best thing for the league going forward is a Mahomes/KC win.

Mahomes is the QB superstar the league needs with Brady, Rivers, Brees, Roethlisberger on the way out or close to it. Rodgers isn't far behind.

So if the 49ers defense plays a bit too aggressive I expect penalties going against San Francisco in this one.

11. WarriorRB28

Sanchez was always a turnover factory. So was Geno.

Rex had the strong running game + strong D part of the formula down pat had he had the QB taking care of the ball down pat those teams would've won some division titles, hosted some playoff games and probably played in a Super Bowl or two.

They didn't.

Rex's teams had some of the worst, sloppiest QB play imaginable.

Still with that they STILL should've at minimum won the AFC/played in a Super Bowl in 2010.

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yup.

DefenseWinsChampionships.

13. Brook!

Not anymore

14. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Great defenses win championships ....which SF isnt

15. Footballgod214

I sorry but we can't discuss any connection of this thread to the Jets as this thread has no connections to the jets. This is why the mod moved it here. Any discussion of our team pursuing a defense first or offense first in search of a SB are no longer relevant and shouldn't be writing in the mian forum.

As Brook pointed out, rule changes makes defense no longer relative and shouldn't be discussed in the main forum.

Thank you for your understanding. It's a new age.

#15 Footballgod214, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  16. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

The only consistency in the NFL is that all your predictions are totally wrong.

joe, Acad23 and MoWilkBeast like this.