Is New England done

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 24, 2020.

1. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

For 20 years the division went through the Patriots. I don't believe that is the case anymore. Does anyone here like Stinman? I don't think he will be an adequate replacement for Brady and that is where they are going. You don't take a QB in the 4th to sit behind Tom Brady and let him play when you can unless that guy is being groomed as a replacement. Remember that draft- QB draft of a generation- in any other draft Stinman may rate higher than a 4th.

Where does the road to the division lead? Is it Buffalo, New England or NY? Does anyone think Stinman will keep the Patriots as the class of the division.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

4. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Absolutely not, I said this in another thread but, we are FORTUNATE the Titans beat the Patriots. There was a huge presumption by pretty much everyone (including myself), that the Patriots would have been beat by Baltimore at the end of the day, however in hindsight, the Patriots could have beaten Baltimore and could have also beaten the Chiefs (maybe).

Going into next year, the Chiefs will have to pay Mahomes, the Ravens will take a step back. The Patriots will still be there and you just never know. I remember in 2014 the Broncos had a similar type of exit and pretty much everyone declared them finish, and Peyton done. What happened ? They caught a few breaks, defense improved, and they won a Super Bowl. So no, until they start missing the posteason and putting up losing records, they are not done.

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I hope so

Whatever the Titans did can be replicated

6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

They still have the # 1 D, they have plenty of O line talent that should be back at 100% . They have the most picks in a very deep talented WR heavy draft , if they can grab Bryant From FAU in Rd 1 they will have plenty of weapons for Brady if he returns , They still have the # 1 D, they have plenty of O line talent that should be back at 100% . They have the most picks in a very deep talented WR heavy draft , if they can grab Bryant in Rd 1 they will have plenty of weapons for Brady if he returns , Stidham or one of the many FA QBs that will be moving around this off season. Not to mention Belichick .
    I think the Patriots are still the team to beat in the division
    As for Stidham, he played well year 1 then the Briles sex scandal hit and he transfered. Didn't play in 2016, practiced with a local HS team to keep in shape. Went to Auburn and looked great his first year there, regressed year 2 behind a terrible O line, with bad recievers and terrible coaching. Didn't look good in relief of Brady vs Jets with the fast interception but tough to judge there. Trying to force a play maybe? One thing is certain, unless Belichick is 100% sold on him, they will have a QB other than him starting.

7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Lol. Running the ball and playing great defense is actually hard to consistently replicate. The formula has been around since the beginning of football. It's not easy to execute year upon year, look at the Jets' decline post-2010.

FJF and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

They're still the AFC East champions until someone else takes it from them.

That said the signs of age and the winds of change are blowing there so for the first time in a long time I can see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

Exactly. The teams that win with a run game and defense tend to fizzle out after a year or two. You need the QB to win consistently.

10. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

Without Brady I say they are 8-8.

11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I didn't say it can happen with every team tomorrow ..are you kidding? But putting the right pieces together plus coaching works!

But as you said , it's been around for a long time...the Jets are one example of misplaced priorities i.e. The OL we had with Sanchez was not replaced as well as a number of players including a good running back, WRs etc

Did you hear anything about Ryan Tannyhill or Derek Henry for that matter till this year? ??? They had 2 or 3 9-7 Seasons before they got Vrabel which was the most important part of "the formula"

The Coaching turned that team around benching Mariotta for starters, and started using Henry a lot more

Jake likes this.
  12. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Even with that, the difference in the game was the Titans stopping the Patriots before halftime. Its not like New England got dismantled, they easily could have won that game, so that formula is no guarantee at all.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Legendary OLine coach Dante Scarnaccia retiring. He retired once before for like 2 or 3 seasons and the PATS didn’t make the super bowl in any seasons when he wasn’t coaching.

Just another hit.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  14. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I would be more excited about this if I thought the Jets could take advantage next year. Most likely the Bills will win the division if the Pats don't.

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It's too early to say they're done, but there are signs that their run of dominance are coming to an end. Brady looked like father time is catching up to him. They lost back to back games in December for the second straight year. They usually go undefeated or lose one game in the season's final month. And it seemed like Belichick was outcoached more often than usual in 2019. We'll see what happens in 2020 and beyond.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Patriots are projected to have like 13 draft picks. They also still have the #1 defense in the league. Don't be surprised if they look for a stop gap game manager, take a couple offensive lineman high, and deploy their own version of running game + defense. I also expect them to look for a Richard Seymour/Trey Flowers type 3-4 run stopper or a top notch nose tackle. It's what their defense was missing.

That was always Belichick's style anyway. Brady just ended up being way better than he ever even needed.

17. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Nah they're not done completely. They will compete for the division next year though are no lock to win it. Still a lot of talent on D, still Belichick although aging. Would be shocked if they're not at least 10-6 next year unfortunately. However I do think if they start of bad things could unravel. Very much a mystery what they'll be

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  18. DefenseWinsChampionships

Huge loss for New England. They've always had a greatly coached offensive line due to this man. Major loss for N.E he's been their offensive line coach for Damm near 20 years

19. HomeoftheJets

I still think the Pats are favorites to win the division. Regardless of whether their QB is game-manager Brady or game-manager some other guy (Mariota, Dalton, etc), Belichick can coach them to a winning record.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yes they are done.