What pick burns you the most?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Every single defensive lineman we've drafted since the year 2000. The only time that we picked up a DT when it was a need was Dwayne Robertson. But even that pissed me off because he was a huge reach, and he had an underwhelming career. Plus, in that year, we also needed a strong safety, AND we had Troy motherfuckin' Polamalu available!!

Ever since then, we've passed on future Pro Bowler after future Pro Bowler at positions of need to draft defensive tackles who were "too good to pass up," and who either were complete busts or simply didn't do jack shit in getting our team anywhere.

Quinnen Williams is one of the ones that really pisses me off. Not that I have anything against him, and he could still prove to be an asset. But it was just one more case of the team doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

#61 Linebacker712, Jan 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Any chance of referencing Vlad Ducasse in a post, I’m going to take it. Or the myriad of other “developmental”’second round picks from 1980 onwards.

Round 5 is for developmental picks, not fucking Round 2.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I mean it's easy to say all of those things in retrospect. But that doesn't change the fact that most of the football world viewed him as a fringe first round player, the same way they viewed Paxton Lynch.

We can debate whether he would've turned into a great player regardless until we're blue in the face because there are QB's that end up in bad situations and turn out to be Hall of Famer's in spite of it. And then there are QB's in good situations that are Mark Sanchez. And vice versa.

But he still wasn't viewed as the all world talent as he is playing like today. A good prospect. Nowhere near great. The trade up was a big surprise.

Section 336, FJF and J-Raw24 like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It was easy for me to say them at the time as well. I'm not adding anything in retrospect. I thought he was a great prospect, but I knew that Mac would never draft him because of Hack.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I still think people need to calm down about Mahomes.
    Last year was probably the single best QB regular season ever. Mahomes will probably never match that season ever. This season was solid not unbelievable. I am not inducting him to the HOF based on 1 season.

Chris Johnson in his second season had one of if not the best season ever by a running back and would never ever be considered one of the all time greats. He had several really good seasons but never came close to replicating 2000 rushing yards, 500 receiving yards and 5.6 you again.
    He was a superb back and didn’t even crack the 25 finalists for the NFL 100.

There are several young QBs that I can see ending up with better overall careers than Mahomes when it is all said and done.

The Jets drafted Coples and Stephen Hill the year Russell Wilson went in the third round. That is a hell of a lot worse than drafting Adams (First Team All Pro) over Mahomes. I can say with confidence that Wilson’s track record puts him in the conversation with the greats way before Mahomes.

FJF likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're right, there were doubts about him, mainly because of the offense he played in. Still, we needed a FQB prospect and he (and Watson) were there for the taking. That so many other "experts" didn't rate him higher doesn't excuse Macc for not being able to see Mahomes's talent and ability and given he needed a QB, he should've rolled the dice.

BUT...he had already rolled the dice on Hack and I believe that made him scared. And maybe he still thought Hack could be his QB, but if that's the case, then he really was ignorant about evaluating talent. Again, neither reason excuses his failure.

And then there's the theory that he was in love with the 2018 QB class and had his heart set on one those "can't miss" phenoms, but as we can see, the only one that's anywhere near Mahomes and Watson is Lamar, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't even on Macc's radar, which is really no surprise.

But this begs another question about Macc's plan for taking a QB in 2018:

How was he planning on getting a high enough pick to get a chance at one the top ones?

Either he was planning on tanking, which I seriously doubt, or he knew he was going to have to burn assets - trade players he had and/or draft picks - to move up. And yet, sitting there at #6 in 2017 with Mahomes and Watson there, and knowing he needed a long term answer at QB, he decided they were "too risky".

Mind boggling.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

I can agree with struggling to replicate that season for Mahomes. But the comparison to a runningback that has a shelf life of 7-8 years less is poor. The wear and year can't be compared.

How many Mahomes Texas Tech games did you watch? Or is that based on just what you read?

8. Jonathan_Vilma

The missed analyis of our quarterback situation with Old Man McCown and Hackenberg/Petty will never be excused. To not look at offense in any of his four non-Darnold drafts is also a disgrace.

We've been like the Browns in avoiding them like hot cakes since 2009. If you don't have one, you need to draft one ASAP. And we didn't believe that.

But I don't think Mahomes was the big miss here. I think McCaffrey was. And so was Watson. Watson's resume was criminally understated. And not just by us. He got the running quarterback and never recovered. He should've been the first overall pick after unseated Alabama like he did.

I just don't think it's fair to talk about Mahomes like we passed on Andrew Luck. A lot of experts had a second round grade on Mahomes with the quarterback premium bumping him into the end first round. But he was viewed as incredibly raw.

And I also don't think he's the same player everywhere in this league as he is in Kansas City. For one; he got to sit a year. That's unheard of (although it shouldn't be, honestly) in the modern day NFL.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with much of what you say here, although I'm going to stick by my assessment - made before the 2017 draft - that Mahomes was the better prospect for the Jets. I based that on playing in NY with the winter and the windy conditions at the Meadowlands. I wasn't sure that Watson's arm was strong enough, although in all other respects he was a great prospect, and I wouldn't have been unhappy at all if they took him.

At this point I'll say this: maybe I'm one of the few who saw the potential of Mahomes, and therefore placed too high an expectation that Macc would've seen this potential too. Still, even if I were to accept the "consensus" that Mahomes was a borderline 1st/2nd round pick, he should've then taken Watson. Either way it was a huge mistake, especially factoring in the cost needed to move up to have a chance at a top QB in 2018.

#69 ColoradoContrails, Jan 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, which ones?

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Vernon Gholston.

I knew he was going to be a wasted pick before he was selected. I remember thinking before he was selected that the Jets would be the team to be that blind and waste such a valuable pick. I remember that feeling of dread when they did take him. I hate being right about negative shit. Happens way too much for my liking.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't remember how many I watched, but saw every one I could, and saw all the tape on him I could, as well as read every scouting report I could find on him.

13. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

For me this is easy.
    1996 we have the #1 pick and Peyton is staying at a Tennessee.
    Chrebet is the only viable NFL receiver on our roster, so we pick Keyshawn first overall.
    We also have the first pick in the 2nd round and the draft is loaded at WR that year. Guys like Marvin Harrison, Terry Glen get snatched up, but when it's our turn to pick, Amani Toomer is still on the board for the taking, and I was a Michigan fan back then ... perfect!

So what do these fucking morons do??
    They pick a WR, but the guy they pick is Alex Van Dyke. WHO?????!!!!!!
    Toomer goes to the Giants a few picks later and proceeds to have a very good career, including 5 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons ... and I think Van Dyke caught a pass for us once. He also contributed a HUGE fumble in the AFCCG in 1998.

Imagine what our offense could have been back then with Key and Amani out wide, and Wayne in the slot!
    That pick STILL burns my ass to this day. The Idiotic Jets trying to show the world how much smarter they were than everyone else.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  14. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

The minute I laid eyes on Ducassse I KNEW he was going to suck. You need to have a mean streak to be a great Olineman and all I saw was a soft, grinning, oversized baby. Not an drop of mean in that guy.

15. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

The most aggravating picks were ...

1. 1995 - Taking Kyle Brady when every single Jets fan in America was praying Warren Sapp would fall to us (and he did).
    2. 1989 - Taking Jeff Lageman with the 14th pick when he definitely would have been available in Round 2 (and probably in Round 4 or 5).
    3. 1983 - Taking Kenny O'Brien when most of the country thought Dan Marino was the 2nd best QB in the draft (after Elway) and no one had ever heard of Ken O'Brien.
    4. 1987 - Taking Roger Vick when everyone knew we had the worst offensive line in the NFL and the next two picks were tackles that went on to Pro-Bowl careers (Harris Barton and Bruce Armstrong).

jilozzo likes this.
  16. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

The #s are amazingly close..
    BUT you have to take in to account, Mahomes was playing with one good leg last year... Mahomes when healthy is the most dangerous Qb in the game, Alex Smith was more of a game manager.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Alex van Dyke was my second choice, saved from #1 by at least addressing a position of need. The first pick in the second round should be a first round talent that has been pushed down by other teams reaching in the first. We draft a sub-UDFA WR with a prize pick.

We haven’t drafted a prized receiver in so long (Stephen Hill, Jalin Marshall, Jalen Saunders, Shaquelle Evans, Devin Smith) that I’m frankly concerned that we’ll be picking one in Round 2 this year.

azhar80 likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Picking Gase over Rhule is the pick that bothers me the most.

In terms of DRAFT picks, it’s Hack and I don’t know that there’s a close second. He was abysmal for two years in college before we drafted him and would have been there the following day. And I don’t care that the Pats were rumored to be taking him... oh no, the Pats were gonna take a guy that couldn’t hang in the AAF?! Good thing we jumped on him!

The laundry list is long. I actually really liked the Polite pick but that one will be one we talk about for a while. Something tells me Wesco will be too.

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

How about EVERY FUCKING DRAFT AFTER 2009?

20. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I happened to be at a Meadowlands bar when the entire Giants scouting department was there winding down after the draft. I got to hang out with them. Once I confessed my green and white loyalties the Giants scout responsible for the Carolinas told me the Jets blew it taking Coples over Chandler Jones. He told me the Giants questioned Coples desire to play. I think they were right. I've never forgotten that one.

azhar80 likes this.