You are Joe Douglas. Tell me what you would do this offseason.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

From free agency to draft. What would you do?

2. DefenseWinsChampionships

We want an outside pass rusher? O.k. Then break the bank on one heading into the draft.

Still only 26 years of age.

His name is Jadeveon Clowney.

He'll cost and cost a lot - as one of the highest paid defensive players and he's worth it but for a franchise that's starved a pass rusher since dating back to John Abraham, now is the time to strike.

And with Quinnen Williams a potential dominant hog up front already in place, along with Jamal Adams roaming the L.O.S? We would then instantly have a fierce pass rush and a championship contending defense for many of years to come with Gregg Williams designing plays and schemes.

Not only that but Sam Darnold here for the long haul future and on his rookie contract Jadeveon Clowney imo is a must have @ only 26.

I'd hate to see him go to Buffalo.

And from there? Focus on O-Line, WR's and offense; while knowing that we're on the verge of fielding one of the most dominant Jet defenses our fan base has ever seen.

Put Jadeveon Clowney on this recent 2019 Jets defense and it would've been game changing.

Get that pass rusher and from there Joe Douglas can focus on offense offense and more offense around Sam Darnold.

3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Re-sign:
    Jordan Jenkins, OLB
    Brian Poole, CB
    Lac Edwards, P
    Alex Lewis, OG
    Kelvin Beacham, OT (as insurance and quite likely to start) Edit - I forgot him orginally

It goes without saying that Trumaine Johnson, Winters, Roberts and Bellamy should be cut/released. Hopefully Enunwa retires so we don't have to cut him.

In FA, sign the following:
    Brandon Scherff, OG
    Matthew Judon, Edge
    Logan Ryan, CB
    Matt Skura, C
    Joe Haeg, OG, Quinton Spain, OG, or Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG

In the draft, one of the following 3 scenarios:
    1 - Andrew Thomas, OT
    2 - Tyler Biadasz, C
    3a - Solomon Kindley, OG
    3b - Tyler Johnson, WR
    4 - AJ Dillon, RB
    5 - Denzel Mims, WR
    6 -OL depth

or

1 - CeeDee Lamb, WR
    2 - Mekhi Becton, OT
    3a - Solomon Kindley, OG
    3b - Cameron Dantzler, CB
    4 - AJ Dillon, RB
    5 - Denzel Mims, WR
    6 - Gage Cervenka, C/OG

or

Trade down with Denver, adding their 2nd and 3rd round picks

1 - Justin Jefferson, WR
    2a - Mekhi Becton, OT
    2b -Trey Adams, OT
    3a - Solomon Kindley, OG
    3b - Jaylon Johnson, CB
    3c - Tyler Johnson, WR
    4 - AJ Dillon, RB
    5 - Tommy Kraemer, OG or Michael Onwenu, OG
    6 - Gage Cervenka, C/OG or Cohl Cabral, C

#4 NCJetsfan, Jan 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    joelip, boozer32, azhar80 and 8 others like this.
  5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go anywhere near Clowney not for huge money.

He's vastly overhyped, overpaid for what he brings and he's missed so many games in his career. No way stay away!

This would be typical Jets breaking the bank yet again for ANOTHER TEAM'S mediocre player while playing hardball with their own star players.

End the nonsense. Pay Robby Anderson & Jamal Adams.

6. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

This is going to be long so bear with me. I think I have seen we have around 63.5 million space. We need the number to go up.

Cut -
    Trumaine - 3
    Winters - 7.5
    Daryl Robert's - 6
    Bellamy - 2.25
    Also would consider Enunwa if he retires a savings benefit but not sure it if happens. Cutting save 2.4, retiring is like 6
    Harrison - idk if I do this without Glasgow on the team. 2.25

Trade -
    Avery Williamson- 6.5 savings - 4th rd pick
    There are others I would consider trading but I don't think anyone makes a good enough offer for Adam's or Bell.

New cap space 89-97 Million

Now our own FA
    Jenkins - (a must) 3-4 year
    Hewitt - 2-3 year
    Burgess - 2-3 year
    Lewis - 2-3 year
    Beachum - 1 year
    Poole - iffy on this I would offer a cheaper deal and if he stay good. If not oh well. Maybe 2-3 year
    Anderson- I offer 4 year 12 Million per year before he hits FA. Take it or move on.
    Edwards-lock him up. Punters are generally cheap and we already badly need a kicker. No sense making another hole. Give him bonus for not shanking balls maybe he will do better.

Fa Targets.
    Scherff - need the oline upgraded
    Graham Glasgow- Our new center
    Judon - he will fit nice opposite Jenkins and be cheaper than most.
    Alexander McKenzie- Cheap and gives William's a former High pick who has seen little use.
    I also bring in more depth at cb, wr, ol, camp bodies anyone to push for spots.
    If I didn't get Anderson- AJ Green, Devin Funchess (cheap)

And draft day.

Rd 1 - Thomas and Wirfs, Also consider Lamb and Jeudy. Either wr is great trade bait because Oakland picks right after us. They will want one of these 2 because of the AB debacle. That said if either ol are gone and the wr are gone or we get offered a good enough trade I go back.
    Later options - Justin Jefferson-LSU, Tyler Biadasz-Wisconsin, Mekhi Becton-Louisville (if stock rises), Trey Adams-Washington, Tee Higgins- Clemson. Basically basically best OL or WR on our board

Rd 2 - if we trade back we have 2 picks basically and of the above that have falling. OL, WR. If we traded back hopefully at this point we have 2 ol and wr.

Rd 3 we may have 3 of these. Michael Pittman Jr, Solomon Kindley, Tyler Johnson, Cameron Dantzler, Ben Bredeson, Shane Lemieux, Walker Little, Zack Baun, Jaylon Johnson, Jonathon Greenard, Chase Claypool... We need to fill o line and wr but also need CB and Edge

Rd 4 AJ Dillon

Rd 5 Denzel Mim, Shea Patterson, back up qb, cb, edge, wr, this is just a flyer on pure possibility hopefully the player works.

Rd 6 Gage Cervenka or kicker Jet Toner.

#6 J-Raw24, Jan 18, 2020
  7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Was very complete, thank you. Only slight change I have is I would not consider AJ Green at WR--too old and broken down and jets need youth. Not popular, but I would also try to trade DL Q. Williams for some decent picks. He still has a lot of value and if we keep him in 3-4 defense he will be nothing but a Leonard Williams.

8. WarriorRB28

Holy moly I forgot that Trumaine Johnson is still on the team. He missed time in 2019 and he's pretty much sucked @ss the entire time here.

This is what I mean the Jets break the bank on bums like this in free agency then claim they can't pay or that players like Robby & Adams don't fit into their future 'plans'.

It's madness.

I don't like the idea of Green as a replacement for Robby pay Robby end of discussion. If the Jets play their cards right they can have both Robby AND Green I think it's realistic.

Scherf has been a good player but I read he missed some games in 2019 and Washington has a young QB too why would they let him go?

azhar80 and J-Raw24 like this.
  9. J-Raw24

Trading Q. Williams is an interesting thought. Not sure of his value, but he is out of place. He could develop to be better than what Leo was. But also I'm not sure how GW feels about him. From what I understand our coaches didn't have much if any input in the draft last year. Mac just locked himself in the room. Again I don't know what value he has though. I would at least listen to offers.

tomdeb likes this.
  10. J-Raw24

Robby isn't worth more than 12 million. I don't see spending the money on both him and Green. I would love to have Robby back but we have big contracts coming on for Adams and Darnold. We also need depth everywhere and big money upgrade on the o line. Unfortunately Mac put us in situation with a cap problem and huge lack of talent. He should of spent the Enunwa money on Robbie. As for Scherff I think he will hit FA but I don't know. They have other oline pieces and need weapons for the kid and a lot on defense. They could easily sign a lower cost FA and draft a tackle which would help them. If I couldn't get Scherff there are several other FA O line that would be worth giving 14+ million over Robbie. Including Conklin. I also didn't post that I would bring beachum back which will cost 10 mill or so.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If I'm Joe Douglas this off-season I'd spend a lot of time trying to accidentally get hit by a truck. The glow's not off yet and Jets fans have no reason to remember him in a negative light to date. Being the guy who almost saved the Jets before tragically succumbing to a U-Haul incident is so much better than actually having to fix 50-odd years of dysfunction. At least for posterity...

That said, I'd build the offensive line and get Darnold some real talent to throw too. If Darnold fails then everybody in the building fails along with him and really there's no second act. So make sure he doesn't fail. I'd do this through the draft and some uncanny second-tier free agent acquisitions.

I think the truck is the better plan but Joe Douglas has a good rep and maybe he thinks otherwise.

12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Right because investing all those assets on the defensive front has worked so well for this "dominant" defense for the past decade...NOT! Quinnen is far from a "potential dominant" anything at this point. The verdict is definitely still out on him to even been a solid player in this league, let alone dominant.

Clowney is oft injured and only had 3 or 4 sacks in the regular season this year. Hard pass.

Give me Chris Jones or Yannick over Clowney every day of the week. They'll both probably cost slightly less too.

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

To be concise, do everything I can to improve the OL and skill position talent.

tomdeb, Pepsiguy5, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  14. WarriorRB28

Again the market will decide what Robby is worth not anyone here. If the reports I'm reading are accurate that there will be teams lining up to get him then he's going to get more than $12 million per it is what it is. Pay up.

I don't believe in letting good football players go because s****y ones were signed before. Get rid of the bums, keep the good players. Cap problems pass, finding good football players is hard.

Find a way to make it work, where there's a will there's a way.

And I would most definately make the investment in Robby & Green. Darnold's development is most important for the Jets, all the picks they traded away to move up to get him. Give him some weapons to throw too.

It's crunch time. His rookie deal will be expiring in a few years they need to find out what they have.

Buffalo's guy already took them to the playoffs, Miami will be drafting a QB this year. The Jets need to speed things up here.

I also think the Jets desperately need a speedy, young back. I didn't see that in your mock draft. Bell is 27 runs like he's 37 and Powell ain't getting any younger.

Mogriffjr and Red Menace like this.
  15. J-Raw24

There is a rb in there, AJ Dillon. He's not a speed back. More like a Frank Gore/Henry type... but I think he will work well here. Smashing through lines. As for Anderson, I'm not sure he ever break 1000 yards. If he does its because the other wr is pulling coverage from him. I stand by that he isn't someone I pay top. He's not even a top tier wr2. We need 2 wr why pay one way more than they are worth. We also need at least 3 o line, a cb, and 2 edge. Not to mention depth. Paying Anderson that much will hold the team back.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I disagree on Clowney - too expensive and unreliable. I do agree trying to lock up a pass rusher though.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'd listen to offers on Q. Williams, but I would need to get a lot, probably more than I'd be offered to let him go. I'd like to see what he can do if the add a true pass rusher. One concerning thing is why he didn't play more snaps - was it just a rookie thing, or something G. Williams doesn't like about him? I doubt that GW has passed final judgment on him, but if he doesn't fit the scheme maybe he should be traded for the right package.

tomdeb and J-Raw24 like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't cut Harrison, at least not until after the draft, and maybe not then, even if Glasgow is signed.

I like the idea of trading Williamson and getting something for him. I also like the idea of drafting a potential backup QB, but haven't looked at any of them to know whether they're worth using a pick on, plus I'm not sure we should do that this year with all the other holes we have.

You mention signing CB depth, but I don't see anything about definitely drafting or signing a slot CB to replace Poole. I think Poole is a must re-sign.

tomdeb and J-Raw24 like this.
  19. J-Raw24

Yeah like I said I don't know on Harrison. The good part about Glasgow is he has played guard so can slide around but he is better at center than Harrison. Not sure if Harrison can slide around as well and as depth we kinda need him to. I think if I got Glasgow then drafted Cervenka I would be ok cutting Harrison.

Williamson trade would be great. Not sure what teams would offer after the injury but with his reasonable contract and ability I would guess a 4th.

Backup would be great if there is one there if not hopefully Douglas can find us an FA better than Seimen and Fails.

As for CB I have Alexander and signing depth, plus draft some. But I also would look at some we had like Maulet. But I think your right Poole would be good if he doesn't want to charge a lot to stay. Depending how the draft goes we could end up pretty stocked up so I'm not sure I would want to give him a big contract. Also we have been really bad when giving corners contracts so that may have me a little on edge as well.

#19 J-Raw24, Jan 18, 2020
    ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I just know, OL or WR in the first round of the draft and then actually find players who will contribute and maybe even a diamond in the rough in the later rounds. How about actually getting a 2nd rounder who can actually play and will be a solid piece for years to come? Only way this franchise will turn the corner.

tomdeb, ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.