What pick burns you the most?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 17, 2020.

1. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

We all have to agree- there are so many but what wasted Jets draft pick angers you the most? I am not talking which one you think is worst- I am talking which one just personally angers you.

For me it is Calvin Prior because I thought the logic was stupid. I always thought the "swiss army knife" on defense basis was one of the dumbest things I ever heard in football because that is what the 7th round and UDFAs are for. First round picks always need to be building blocks and not experiments.

To this day this pick bothers me because it represents wasted resources not because of a mistake but because of a dumb philosophy to begin with.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Recently it would be Jace Amaro in the 2nd in 2014. The guy was a total stiff with approximately zero chance he would be an NFL TE. Slow, awkward and the reaction time of a three-toed sloth.

Hackenberg also sucked but at least he looked the part.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Trading for Doug jolley. Heath Miller should have been a jet for 10 years. It was all set up.

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

What pick burns me the most?

Bill Simpson's last second interception of Richard Todd in the '81 wildcard game... :mad:

boozer32, Skicats, jilozzo and 7 others like this.
  5. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

In recent memory? Hack, i guess. Or Pryor. Especially when we had other needs.

6. NFLDayspast

Hackenberg sucked but in the end he was a gamble that didn't work out. Taking a franchise QB in the second round is not uncommon. They picked the wrong guy but using that pick with the intent to stabilize the qb position for years at least makes sense.

IIMeanDeanII, Mogriffjr and FJF like this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Quinnen Williams, not because I don't like him, but because we needed an edge rusher more than an interior DL. Josh Allen and Brian Burns were available at 3, yet Maccagnan passed on both.

Same goes for Jamal Adams. He's a great safety, but we needed a QB and there was no sign that Hack or Petty was the answer. Watson and Mahomes were there for the taking. Had Maccagnan taken either, he wouldn't have had to trade three 2nd rounders to take a QB in 2018.

boozer32, dmw, chandler and 9 others like this.
  8. DefenseWinsChampionships

I really like Marcus Maye but I'm an FSU fan and loved the Jamal Adams pick but am still furious that during the 2nd round that we took Maye and passed on the Seminoles greatest offensive weapon since Warrick Dunn in Dalvin Cook; only two picks later the Minnesota Vikings selected one of my favorite FSU talents ever during the 2nd round in #4 Cook. That really pissed me off and still does.

2019; 14 games, 250 rushing attempts for 1,135 rushing yards (4.5 ypc), 13 rushing TD's, 53 receptions for 519 receiving yards. Sick.

And he's still only 24 years of age compared to Maye who's 26.

I love what Maye does as a safety who covers a lot of range but damnit did I want to see Cook a Jet @ HB. I flipped out the moment we passed on Cook.

TonyFtLaud and tomdeb like this.
  9. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Hackenberg looked like a late round pick in college. Taking him in the second round was pure panic.

There were so many good picks available. Cyrus Jones, Tyler Boyd, Cody Whitehair. But everyone called for Mac's head after not taking Lynch (another overrated prospect) at 20 so he grabbed the first QB available with his next pick.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  10. NFLDayspast

You give another example where logic was no where to be found. You don't draft safeties in the first and second round- you do not devote that amount of resources to the position- it makes no sense.

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Vernon the ghost Gholston

12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Hack and Quinnen Williams. Josh Allen would have filled a much bigger need and helped speed up the rebuild that much quicker.

boozer32 and Linebacker712 like this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Gholston sucked but he was the pick at 6, just so happened the jets had the pick. No team was avoiding that land mine.

14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I can't get too overworked about picks of highly rated players that failed to perform on the field of which there have been many: Gholston, Milliner, Coples, Pryor, Wilson to name a few. I didn't like the Adams pick. He is a excellent player, but they passed on Watson (who I wanted) and Mahomes and that makes it problematic. However, the all-time dumbest pick had to be the 2010 draft of John Connors FB in round 5. It's not so much that they drafted a FB, it's that it was way too early to take a back whose primary responsibility is to block. To add insult to stupidity they moved up a round to get him and gave up a 7th (I believe) in the process to do so. What other team could possibly have been targeting this guy in Rd 5, and so what if they were?

dmw likes this.
  15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Goddamn you to hell

16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Dee Milliner. It was stupid to take a corner in the 1st to replace Revis because nobody would live up to the comparison, but an oft-injured toothpick playing corner to boot? Just stupid. Kyle Brady is a close second.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There are so many bad picks. Milliner, Gholston, L & Q Williams - not because they were bad players, but they weren't the best player based on what position was needed most, and in Leo's case, he never made the difference he was supposed to make. Of all the bad picks though Hackenberg was the worst in recent times. Not only was he capable of playing QB in the NFL, but by picking him that high, Macc forced himself into passing on Mahomes and Watson.

Which brings me to the one pick that still burns, and will always burn: passing on Mahomes and Watson, but especially Mahomes. We could've had our FQB assured, and already producing like one by now, AND we would not have had to burn three high draft picks and could've used them to fill Edge/OL/WR. It was the biggest fail of a GM that I can remember, even worse than Idzik blowing 12 picks IMO.

Thanks for rubbing salt in the wound.:(

papapump, tomdeb, J-Raw24 and 2 others like this.
  18. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

To be fair, Pat went 10th. 9 teams passed on him. It's not like he was a can't miss prospect. I remember a good amount of people thinking it was a reach even.

FJF likes this.
  19. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Marcus Maye. Skill players galore available at the pick, multiple OL that could have been taken and we do the good old double dip at a defensive position.

Quinnen Williams. How many times do you need to go fucking DL? It was really close to the nail in the coffin for me. Weeks and weeks leading up it was rumored and I couldn’t believe it. We couldn’t be that fucking stupid to go DL again. Boy was I wrong.

hastygreen, dmw, tomdeb and 2 others like this.
  20. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Just gonna give a shout out to Quinton Coples since he hasn't been mentioned yet. All the names piss me off equally.

Edit: nevermind he was listed. Whatever terrible pick.

dmarz45 likes this.