NY Post - The 49ers blueprint could save both Jets and Giants

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Jan 13, 2020.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

champ - Henry never played for the Miami Dolphins or Adam Gase ever. Tannehill was traded in March, 3 months after Miami fired Adam Gase

Vida and J-Raw24 like this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Nice historical narrative Brad, TY

After reading this sad tale from Edwards Bradway Mangini Tanny Mehta Rex Bowles Mac etc I am ready to stay in bed for a week with the covers over my head ahahah

Journalist need stories and the juicier the better...perhaps there will be more security and structure with the gossip going forward

I wouldn't mind the small talk if the Jets started to win big every year but now we have to console ourselves with a GM who is hopefully the best in 10 plus years

You cant stop the Haters on Gase..but he can redeem himself by Winning and making playoffs,,so lets see

Br4d likes this.
  3. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

More wisdom from sportswriters. Anyway the Jets are in position to turn their draft position into multiple picks. Trading down in a year where there are many offensive lineman prospects and wide receivers may be a good strategy. The difference between a great prospect and a very good one is not a great deal when it comes to the O line. There are 2nd and 3rd WR's catching passes every week in the NFL.

Vida and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think Idzik was made the fall guy any more than you or I were. He was the source of the problems. He didn't get along with anyone in the Front Office and there stories of all kinds of problems and people being unhappy. He was awful as a GM. He had no eye for talent and was was even more hesitant and slow to act in FA than Mac. He had no business even being hired as GM to begin with. He was a total clusterfuck. The 2014 draft could have set this team up beautifully for the ensuing 5-10 years with all the draft picks he had at his disposal, and he screwed the pooch on all of them save one.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Some folks have been chirping about this blueprint for many years now.

6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

comment on mangini........gholston (obviously) was a significant source of contention between the owner and him.

7. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

So... Gase cut Henry from the titan roster while he was the head coach of Miami? Also he cut Tannehill from miami while he was the coach of the jets? Please explain this? It's very confusing..

NCJetsfan and Vida like this.
  8. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

[

I agree completely with this. Also, look at Tennessee. Tannehill hardly has to throw the ball for them to win against top teams. He's no better than he was in past seasons. Tennessee just has great defensive and offensive lines. I watched much of the Texans/Chiefs game and those QBs both had time to throw the ball, unlike Darnold. Mahomes had as much time as he wanted. It was comical.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how anyone can compare the Jets and 49ers. The rebuilding 49er model involved trading for a young veteran QB who had already been developed. Injuries to that QB led a higher than expected pick and they landed Bosa. When I look at the Jets I don't see how they could follow that model as the 49ers didn't have to worry about developing a QB.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

When will the Gase lovers stop claiming that anyone who sees no reason for him being here are "Haters?" I suppose that makes it easier to dismiss the fact that the man has a record of failure and the widespread opinion he should never have been hired to begin with.

10. Ralebird

"Reading between the lines" often creates assumptions and opinions that are as clear as those words between the lines - the ones that don't exist. Some of the things you cite are no doubt true and some will no doubt never be. Whether Mangini and Tannenbaum were actually friends or just a couple of guys who worked together doesn't matter at all, especially a dozen years later. Will some here still be calling Gase and Douglas great friends five years from now? Were they ever more than just congenial coworkers? Does it matter? They both have jobs that have not been done well here in a very long time. If neither can focus on simply that they need to be gone.

I know all about the old saying about those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it but the key point is that no matter who was sitting in the chairs - friends, mortal enemies or just coworkers the team has been losing forever; that's the history of the New York Jets. I believe that losing is the root cause of the discord and I don't care in the slightest who shares their information with the press. The truth will set you free as will keeping one's eyes on the prize.

#50 Ralebird, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Where did you get the idea I liked Gase??? lol ATM I would consider myself a Hater

From all my likes and previous Posts you should surmise that

So you can stop the Hate if and only if the Team starts winning games

12. Ralebird

A couple of guys here have said they hate Gase but a couple of a hundred posts have claimed that the Gase haters are rampant. If you're one of them, as you say here, it doesn't mean that the majority of those who want him gone or ever wanted him here to begin with share that radical opinion.

13. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Yes, they need both.

14. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The Jets finally have a GM/Head Coach situation where they work well together. Gase got Magic Mike fired and got "his guy", Joe Douglas, hired. That's a good sign for the organization.

FJF likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

We don't know they work well together. We won't know until we see what Douglas produces in FA and the draft, and how Gase does with that talent. Remember we all thought Macc and Bowles would work well together, but the didn't.

And can we please stop this meme about how Gase and Douglas are buds, and how Douglas would never consider firing Gase because of it. We know they worked together in Chicago, but we don't really know anything about their relationship. Were they hanging out together with their wives and families, and trading Christmas presents? AFAIK, it was a professional relationship. Did Gase endorse Douglas to CJ? Likely, but it wasn't like Gase hired him.

Ralebird and J-Raw24 like this.
  16. J-Raw24

Also one has a 6 year deal and no chance of being fired in the next few years. The other if he doesn't perform could be gone halfway through this season. I hope it all works out and we have some good football ahead. But we don't know.

17. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

I think you are correct. Joe Douglas was the hottest GM candidate in the NFL. I believe he turned down certain interviews. This is how he was able to get a 6 year contract as a rookie GM. The best comparison is Matt Ruhl- he was in high demand and if you wanted him you better meet his demands or the next team will.

Another thing to look at is that GM's do inherit head coaches. There are many examples of this and it working well. I think the fact they worked together before was looked as a benefit more than a deciding factor.

Last point- like him or not Adam Gase has had success as a coach. He has gone to the playoffs and imo over achieved with last year's team. He has Peyton Manning's endorsement and that means something. Compare him to Hugh Jackson, Pat Shurmur, Freddie Kitchens and others and he has had a lot more success.

18. Ralebird

Like him or not Adam Gase has the record of a loser. He is 30 - 34. We don't need that kind of "success" here.

19. J-Raw24

I am not a Gase fan. But like him or not he will coach a bare minimum of 8 more games. So while I am not a fan of him I am a Jets fan and will be hoping for wins.

Red Menace likes this.
  20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

True we don't know they will work well together until we actually see results.
    True we don't know they will work well together until we actually see results. On the other hand, I never said they were best friends. All I said is that they hired the GM that Gase wanted. That's an excellent sign that they will work well together and will be successful.