The Jet Model

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 14, 2020.

1. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

When the Jets drafted D'abrickshaw Fergueson and Nick Mangold the following years were what I call successful.

Teams with good, to great, offensive lines tend to do very well. It is not a guarantee but more often than not. I say the Jets follow the Jet model of years ago and build as strong an OL as they can. Things happen in the playoffs and there are no guarantees. The best model to follow is the one that brought the last amount of sustained success for the Jets.

The 49er model involved trading for veteran quarterback so I don't get the recent comparisons.

dmw, Pepsiguy5, rickjet and 1 other person like this.
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Welcome to the board. Would you mind introducing yourself in the following thread? :)

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/welcome-new-jets-fans-introduce-yo-self.78615/

J-Raw24 likes this.
  3. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

The most successful years after that draft came because of a top 5 defense. I'm not talking bad about either as I personally own a Jersey of both these players. But the defense was superior. That said I think we should draft OL and use high picks for it. But my point is it takes a solid team. Good players at every position group. We need a good cb1 and a decent olb opposite Jenkins. Both those I would draft later as I think the offense need more attention. On offense we need a total overhaul of both the line and wide receiver position. In 2 years the one that should be left at any of these 7 positions should be Crowder, and maybe.... maybe Edoga if he takes a leap. The rest is garbage. But that doesn't mean we don't need pieces on defense... consistent title contenders build a team... not a position group.

HomeoftheJets, CotcheryFan and Brook! like this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

While I agree with most of this. That ‘09 ‘10 o line was just as dominate as Rex’s D. Brick, faneca,mangold,Moore, woody . 4 first round picks all dominate.

5. J-Raw24

I won't disagree. The problem wasn't the line it was the guy running into their asses. But fact is the defense was what got us there. As I said I want us to draft offense. But all 3 phase and every position group is important. It's the real team game for a reason.

boozer32, Acad23, AJW and 1 other person like this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I hope the Jets develop a model for scouting players like the Pats and Ravens have.

7. J-Raw24

100% hope Douglas installs his own 20/20 club. No reason we shouldn't scout our own players and get people who fit our system. I'm curious what the scouting was like in Philly.... Douglas learned a lot from Newsome I hope and gets this done.

8. We know the OL has to be improved.We know how important the trenches are to winning.

But that cant be the lone focal point for success nor should it be fixated on.

We need help in alot of other areas.Fixing the line alone doesnt make us contenders.

Sam needs better weapons & we need some means of getting a stop on passing downs beyond just scheme.

9. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

10. DefenseWinsChampionships

First paragraph.

Yes the defense was dominant. But don't forget those run games. It got us there too.

Ground and pound. Pound the rock.

Thomas Jones/Shonn - Greene Greene/L.T etc our run game was so powerful and so dominant, that we were able to hide Mark Sanchez behind it. Think about that for a moment; Sanchez hid behind our run game.

Not even Sanchez could fk up our run game back in 2009 and 2010. We had games of 200+, 250+, 300+ yard rushing performances against stacked 8-9 men boxes with a rookie/2nd year QB daring us to.... RUN. And it couldn't be stopped.

Yes those defenses were great but it was the ground game who kept them off the field and fresh ala we ran the football more than any other team and we passed the ball fewer than any other team (combined) over that two year period.

I loved our defense led by Revis/Cro/Harris/Scott/Ellis/Jenkins/Pouha and Rex etc and Jesus Christ if only Kerry Rhodes were JAMAL ADAMS omg but those run games and ability to HIDE MARK SANCHEZ was all because of our O-Line. That's what got us there too.

I always nicknamed Ferguson and Mangold dating back to 2006 I loved them instantly I called them "A Brick of Gold" and boy could Darnold and Le'Veon Bell use them as of today, just like I wish Jamal Adams was our Safety alongside of Revis it would've been epic.

Yes. We need an O-Line and we need one bad. And then with our current and developing defense with Jamal our Revis, Mosley our Harris, Quinnen our Ellis, Jenkins our Pace, Williams our Rex Ryan etc and with an O-Line we make the playoffs. And then Sam Darnold has a chance to perform in the playoffs as Sanchez once did.

Give Darnold an o line and a defense as Sanchez once had and Sam Darnold will become our next Joe Namath.

#10 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    dmw, rickjet and J-Raw24 like this.
  11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That is the most important thing. What Maccagnan was doing set this team back and worst never produce squat. I'll never understand the logic of drafting high and taking defense every year. Especially when you can't score and then your defense that you draft every year can't stop anyone.

12. J-Raw24

Only problems I have with what you have said is Adam's us not Revis. Revis could lock down one side of the field and allow the other defenders (and they were good to) focus on everything else. We don't need a Revis but we need a legit cb1.we have run stoppers but we need pressure on the qb. I think offense needs addressed first because we lack more on that side. But we still need those 2 pieces. That '09 group was stellar because it had decent safety play, an good cb group led by Revis, and several people up front could apply pressure. Even Pouha would get pressure. It was a team, we don't have that. Yes the run game was great, helped a lot but a great o line. But the receivers were good enough to make teams play honest. We don't have that. We do have a qb that could be legit. He needs o line and receivers and a run game to keep the defense honest.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yup and its going to be a tough call on draft day when they are sitting at 11 and Jerry Jeudy is there. offensive line is a must need but a reliable target is also one

14. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Don't underestimate the impact a strong O-line has on the team's defense.
    An O-line that can open holes for runners and keep the QB clean also keeps that defense on the bench for a longer period, so they can rest up between series.

Wayne Hunter's abysmal performance contributed to a lot of 3-and-outs for the Jets, and Rex's later defenses were always toast by the third or fourth quarter, regardless of skill level, because they had been playing a ton of minutes.

15. NFLDayspast

I don't get it either. The Quinnen Williams pick, imo, was his biggest mistake. He should have traded down to recoup more picks after giving up the 3 second rounders in the Darnold trade. Logic says you try and recoup picks in that situation. Prioritizing stopping the run in a passing league makes no sense to me.

NYJetsO12, boozer32, tomdeb and 2 others like this.
  16. NFLDayspast

I think there is a chance Cee Dee Lamb is there as well. The current mock drafts are useless. Teams in need of a QB will trade up. Washington will stand pat- but why should the Giants? Look at their roster- they are a prime example of a team that needs draft capital. I would have no issues with a receiver in the first because of the extra 3rd rounder. Provided they go receiver then 3 picks on the OL it is a sound strategy.

17. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

You always wanna stop the run especially in the playoffs I would say a better point would be run stuffers that don't rush the QB are relatively easy to acquire in free agency and later in the draft...taking them over and over in the top 10 is a huge waste of assets .

18. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

To me, the question has been whether it's solely been the draft picks themselves, or how the players have been coached. We saw this year how Greg Williams made excellent use of the bottom of our defensive roster. Made me wonder. The Jets are going though all of this because of all the wasted draft capital. Not all of the choices were bad ones, but what happened after that was. Who didn't think we'd be set up with a dominant defense the day Sheldon Richardson was named defensive rookie of the year? Just not enough longevity and productivity from so many of these players. The key is to improve the skillsets once you have them on your team. There's a team in our division that's been doing this for 20 years. It's too easy to blame the draft in hindsight.

19. DefenseWinsChampionships

If only N.E & Baltimore could stop Tennessee's run game; they'd both be in the playoffs.

If you can not stop the run, you aren't advancing throughout the playoffs because postseason play becomes smash mouth football come playoff time.

20. J-Raw24

I disagree, Williams was a bad pick to a position we didn't need, but he could still work out...... Have to see hackenturd lately...