Luke Kuechly retires

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by CotcheryFan, Jan 14, 2020.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Another player retires "early."

westiedog1 and J-Raw24 like this.
  2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Going to start happening more and more in the NFL. Play the rookie deal, get the 2nd contract, play a few years on it then retire before your body physically breaks down.

I know Kuechly’s dealt with multiple concussions in his career; I’m imagining this decision has a lot to do with that. If so, good for him. If he was smart, he has all the money he will ever need. Better get out now before he loses one of the things money can’t replace.

FJF, roboz08, westiedog1 and 3 others like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Especially for heavy concussion positions like linebacker, defensive back and wide receiver.

It does make it a little easier for him in that he played in a Super Bowl and can retire knowing he's pretty much a shoe in Hall of Famer at 28.

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

It’s honestly not even the concussions, it’s the thousands of sub-concussive hits these guys take on a play by play basis.

The human brain doesn’t have any natural protection that can absorb that much force. Head impacts are no joke.

But as for Kuchely, he had an 8 year career and was a 7x All-Pro, 7x Pro Bowl and was the most dominant player at his position his entire career. Dude’s a lock for the HoF.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you made the money early on and you still have your health getting out has to be a no-brainer for an NFL LB. It's not going to get better as you get near 30 and go post-prime.

The only reason to keep playing at that point is to win championships and most players don't have that prospect on the horizon no matter how much talent they bring to the field. The NFL is a 22 man game and you need the guys behind them to be pretty good also due to the injury factor.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

It's really not all that surprising. There were rumors circulating as far back as 2016.

Incidental Word Play. Points anyway.

Br4d likes this.
  7. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I don't understand guys that do this. If I had been blessed with the size, talent to play in the NFL to do it at a high level I'd play until I wasn't physically able to do it anymore. In that sense I can relate to a guy like Brady.

8. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

He’ll be playing for the Jets in 2021 and put on IR in week 6.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't think Brady has ever had a concussion in his life. That's a terrible comparison for a position that is completely protected from any sort of head trauma. Linebacker is not.

I know you're a big troll guy, but the stories below should provide clarity as to why players retire when they still have their relatively healthy.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...iefs-kasandra-perkins-murder-suicide/1777359/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...eau-dead-at-43-medical-examiner-rules-suicide

There's a 30 for 30 on Junior Seau that details his transformation as his head injuries got worse. You should watch it.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Kuechly was set to make $15 million next season. As much as $34 million the next 2 years.

I would have a hard time walking away from that. concussion concerns or not

11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Willis and Kuechly the two best LBs drafted in the last 20 years and neither made it into their 30s. Wish him the best

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He’s made 60 though. I think at a point the money doesn’t matter. Are you still playing power ball after you hit the jackpot?

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

if the Powerball was a guaranteed $34 million like this, I would be

14. FJF

Fair

15. FJF

That was a much different retirement video than the one AB posted on social

NYJFOREVER and dawinner127 like this.
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

We know....

18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

You and @FJF addressed this a little further down, but I am betting that Kuechly planned for life after football - so many players do not - and that he will manage his earnings wisely - so many players also do not.

People are forgetting about Chris Borland of the 49rs. He was set to make a shit ton of money and in his second year, he cashed in his chips and got out. Meaning he took what he made - which is paltry in comparison to what you could have - and got the F out. It isn't ALWAYS about the $ per se. His attitude was that he was blessed with what he made and toodles! I'm scared shitless about my future, F the NFL, my health and my family come first, seeyalaterbye.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

It's also easier when you come from money and eventually graduate from Boston College, a very good University. His parents own an automotive parts distribution company in Ohio.

I couldn't find his GPA in college but he was a 3.8 high school student.

Coming from a privileged background with a strong family dynamic that likely reiterated his need to invest makes it easier to turn down future money when you've made a lot as it is.

20. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

If you get 6% interest on 1 Million Dollars, you earn $60,000 per year without touching the principal. Add in a few more millions... If invested properly, AND the players show restraint with their spending, they are set for life. It’s definitely something to consider once you get that big check.