Poll: Which of their own FAs should the Jets re-sign?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Jan 13, 2020.

?

Which of the Jets' FAs should they re-sign?

1. Brian Poole

48 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. Robby Anderson

20 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Jordan Jenkins

45 vote(s)
    80.4%
  4. Kelvin Beacham

31 vote(s)
    55.4%
  5. Alex Lewis

28 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Neville Hewitt

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  7. Brandon Shell

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  8. All of the above

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  9. None of the above

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  10. Other

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The Jets have 21 potential FAs, and an additional 8 players who are either RFAs or ERFAs. Below is a list of the Jets' potential FAs. Which ones, if any, would you like to keep?

Brian Poole
    Robby Anderson
    Jordan Jenkins
    Kelvin Beacham
    Trevor Siemian
    Ty Montgomery
    Ryan Kalil
    Demaryius Thomas
    Brandon Copeland
    Bilal Powell
    Lachlan Edwards
    Brandon Shell
    Daniel Brown
    Tom Compton
    Brent Qvale
    David Fales
    Maurice Canady
    Albert McLellan
    Paul Worrilow

James Burgess (RFA)
    Arthur Maulet (RFA)
    Sam Ficken (ERFA)
    Josh Malone (ERFA)
    Frankie Luvu (ERFA)
    Leo Koloamatangi (ERFA)
    AJ Bello (ERFA)
    Bennett Jackson (ERFA)

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Poole- 2/3 year deal
    Robby- 3-4 year deal
    Jenkins- 3 year deal
    Beachum- 1 year
    Siemien- No
    Montgomery- No
    Kalil- no
    Thomas- No
    Copeland- No
    Powell- No
    Edwards- 1 year
    Shell- No
    Brown, Compton, Qvale, Fales, Worrilow, Canady- No

burgess- yes
    Maulet- No

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

I pretty much agree. I definitely think we need a better backup QB. Siemian looked awful. I'd bring back Lewis and Maulet. If nothing else, Lewis is solid, above average depth. He could wind up still starting next year. Maulet would be good depth. He played pretty well for us.

Why only 1 year for Edwards?

Mogriffjr and PabloJa like this.
  4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Not sure Edwards gonna ask for a lot of money. He was good though, around 46 yards a punt, 28 of around 87 inside the 20. Id def bring him back if the market allows it

Lewis too, I somehow missed him. He played admirably but he can come back as a backup. I was torn on Maulet, if he does come back, it can be for depth. I swore Gregg done much with so little that guys like Maulet who were like waiver wire guys came in and performed at a solid level.

5. NCJetsfan

I'd bring Edwards back regardless. No sense in creating another hole. We've had enough lousy punters and kickers to last several lifetimes. We finally have an excellent punter. IMO we need to pay the man.

Mr mittens and Mogriffjr like this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They should keep the ones that aren't looking for a mint in the name of continuity.

The only guys I would go out of my way to re-sign are Jordan Jenkins and Neville Hewitt and I'd be careful with both of them as well. Jenkins is the only UFA the Jets have this year who is clearly an above average NFL player.

I'd sign Poole to a second-tier contract for a slot corner because he seems to have a real grip on G Williams system and the CB's are a question for the Jets right now.

I'd sign Lewis and Shell to third-tier contracts with a bit of guaranteed money because they have some skin in the game with Gase's system and they probably both have another 3 years or so of semi-effective play.

NCJetsfan, Mogriffjr and MoWilkBeast like this.
  7. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Poole, Jenkins, Beachum, Lewis, Edwards and Hewitt would be the main ones. That gives the team a base to build from with regards to the OL and keeps the better performing FAs. Hewitt might become expendable depending on what happens with Avery.

Robby is the tricky one. I probably would resign him to an affordable contract with an out after 2/3 years. Not sure if this will be possible though in a year where there seems to be few WR options out there in FA. I know he's limited and we will have to overpay but pair him with a fairly high draft pick who offers a complimentary skill set and he doesn't have to necessarily be bad value. I might also consider DT if cheap for a veteran presence, particularly if you can't do a deal with Robby.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Brian Poole - 3 year
    Robby Anderson - only if he settles for 11-12 per
    Jordan Jenkins - definitely
    Kelvin Beacham - 1 year
    Trevor Siemian - no
    Ty Montgomery - him or Powell then get a rookie
    Ryan Kalil - no
    Demaryius Thomas - no
    Brandon Copeland - no
    Bilal Powell - see ty
    Lachlan Edwards - 3 yr
    Brandon Shell - no
    Daniel Brown - no
    Tom Compton - no
    Brent Qvale - no
    David Fales - fails
    Maurice Canady - no
    Albert McLellan - no
    Paul Worrilow - no
    Neville Hewitt - depth with chance to start

James Burgess (RFA) - yes depth
    Arthur Maulet (RFA) - on the fence
    Sam Ficken (ERFA) - camp comp
    Josh Malone (ERFA) - no
    Frankie Luvu (ERFA) - depth maybe
    Leo Koloamatangi (ERFA) - camp comp
    AJ Bello (ERFA) - camp comp
    Bennett Jackson (ERFA) - camp comp

Mogriffjr likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I personally like Burgess a little more than Hewitt. I know Hewitt got stuck running with some slot receivers on fly routes but he's still a walking pass interference.

It's a double-edged sword with Poole, in my opinion. There are tons of corners available this offseason, but there are a limited amount of dedicated slot corners. I don't believe he will settle for a limited contract. What Justin Coleman got with the Lions seems like it'll be around what he will be offered (4 years/$36 million) and I'd rather take that money and dump it into one of the outside corners available.

Jenkins is a good player. He's a lesser pass rusher than Calvin Pace but he's as good for a defense as Pace was. I'd keep him and unfortunately that'll likely mean overpaying but it is what it is at this point. We can't be picky because we have such limited options.

Red Menace and J-Raw24 like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

agree on every thing except Shell. Shell is trash. I think you have to resign Beachum, even though I hope for an upgrade

FJF and matt robinson 17 like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

I'd add Poole to Jenkins and Hewitt. IMO Poole is clearly an above average player, and he may be better than Jenkins.

I don't think you'd get Lewis for a 3rd tier contract. He played pretty well for us and could be a starter in 2020. IMO he's worth more than a third tier contract. I'd give him a decent contract with some guarantees and fairly easily reached incentives if he wins a starting spot, plays a certain number of games, etc. Shell I wouldn't waste the time or money on.

12. NCJetsfan

I think we can keep Poole and sign an outside CB. Poole solidified the middle of the field for us in the slot. I don't want to go backwards defensively.

13. BrowningNagle

I honestly wouldn't be too upset if they didn't sign any of these guys.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

I'm all for wanting to keep him. I just think he'll price himself out of staying here. The guy was basically the best slot corner in football last year. He's going to be a hot commodity.

$70 million in cap space - $20 million for your draft picks and slush funds/draft picks

$8-$10 million for Jenkins. $12-14 million offer for Anderson. You're walking into free agency looking at potentially only signing two players. And we need an entire new offensive line.

So it's tough. I'd rather move Maulet to the slot (where I think he'll play better because he won't be covering a lot of deep balls) and sign a mid-tier corner to play opposite Austin. Rather than pay Pool what he's worth ($8-10 million) and start Maulet on the outside again.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

I know times have changed but its still really hard for me to consider Jordan Jenkins a $10 million a year player and Robby Anderson a $12 million a year player.

these guys are average at best

16. Jonathan_Vilma

I'm more sold on Jenkins than I am Anderson because Jenkins stops the run and sets the edge.

The Anderson situation reminds me a lot of Braylon Edwards when he left. He was a lot more important to this team than he would be elsewhere.

And given the alternatives, if we don't re-sign Anderson than were looking at starting Crowder/Vycint Smith/Demaryus Thomas and basically pigeon holes into taking a receiver at 11.

NYJFOREVER, FJF and CotcheryFan like this.
  17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Beachum , Poole, Lewis and Jenkins.
    Thought process here is getting a new rg and rt in free agency and having a base offensive line of beachum, Lewis, Harrison, new guard/tackle, edoga and then hoping to upgrade that in the draft but at worse there is some continuity coming back.
    Poole and Jenkins are a must for G Williams .
    Everyone hoping for Hewitt, I think he is going to get a better offer on the open market. Rather not get in a bidding war for him.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  18. J-Raw24

I like Poole but I think Jenkins is definitely better. If there is ever any other pass rush beside him, he will produce. Dupree in first 4 years 4, 4.5, 6, 5.5... they add another legit pass rush and in year 5 here gets 11.5. Jordan Jenkins in first 4 years 2.5, 3, 7, 8.... get the guy help. Hewitt I like but I also like Burgess. If we cut/trade Williamssom we better have them both. As far a Lewis he could be a starter on this team... he would be depth almost anywhere else. We had the worst o line in the league. He counted for some of that.

19. BrowningNagle

yeah, Jenkins had 15 sacks the last two seasons. But those of us who watch the games know that many of them were garbage. Like half of them.

-The QB falls down, he touches him. "sack" for Jenkins
    -The secondary floods the middle of the field and the QB holds onto it way too long, 15 seconds later he drifts outside and starts to run towards the line of scrimmage. -1 yard "sack" for Jenkins
    -The center makes a bad snap. The QB has to run back and get it. Jenkins gets there 1st to trap him for a "sack"

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  20. J-Raw24

I watch every game and there are a few sack against bad teams. You can say the same for Dupree. And even other players. He also has really good penetration at times. If he has someone else from the other side he will break double digit. He's a solid player. Not great. But good enough to cover his job.