NY Post - The 49ers blueprint could save both Jets and Giants

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

One important thing to remember in the debate is that the Jets didn't just demote the OL and offensive skill players in the overall drafting plan, they cut them out of the plan completely.

The Jets drafted two QB's, two WR's and a TE in the 1st and 2nd rounds from 2010 to 2019. To that they added one OT for a 30% buy-in on the offensive side of the ball. Come 2019 we were stumbling around on offense with a bunch of skill players that were UDFA's and 4th rounders.

To those that really wondered if Todd Bowles was the problem: he wasn't the guy who spent a 2nd round pick on Christian Hackenberg...

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Having around 100 million in cap space is only a good thing if there's a core to build around. Otherwise, you're bound to be giving big money to tier 2 and below FA's. Tier 1 FA's usually get extended or tagged before they hit the open market.

#22 CotcheryFan, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    J-Raw24 likes this.
  3. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Building through FA is not the answer. 100 million hasn't really helped any team. You need a good core built through drafting. Then some vets to fill in. I know a lot of use have been saying we need to target scherfs. I totally agree, but most ot the smart ones here have also been saying draft a wr and 2 ol in the first 3 rounds. Yes we need a pass rush and a cb1. But our offense is bad. Building through the draft is the best way to remain a contender long term.

Br4d and FJF like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Don't you think he co-signed it though? As long as the free agent corners and high drafted safeties kept getting pumped in.

NCJetsfan, Red Menace and J-Raw24 like this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

We don't know for sure if Bowles condoned moves like that or not..his abstention implies complicity however

He concerned himself with D and that the Jets were drafting LBs like Sharon Lee double Safeties soperpoopers like Mevi$ and expensive FA busts like Skrine

The guy had his head up his azz tbh

ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Teams are going to be looking to build dominant run games? At least the Jets defense will be prepared to combat that. Still get something athletes who can cover though.

the jets definitely need to build that offensive line and get more weapons for SAM.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

While Jets were burning 1st round pics on D-Line, Dallas was burning 1st round pics on O-Line. Dallas had like 4 first round pics playing up front, the best line in football, and they played in like one PO game in 10 years. While Dallas had a killer O-line, they had zero D-line and couldn't stop a nosebleed.

So ya, teams really need BOTH. Maybe alternate years?

J-Raw24 likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well aside from drafting to a proven formula, the key is to draft the RIGHT players that pan out. The number of absolute trash the Jets have drafted over the years would've guaranteed them the Opposite Super Bowl. We'll soon find out if Douglas can judge talent, because Maccagnan and Idzik couldn't.

NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Sorry. I just posted this same observation before I read yours.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Character and team fit too. I feel like we've had a ton of Dylan Donahue drunk driving guys in the late rounds as well.

11. DefenseWinsChampionships

I just hope San Francisco ends up winning the SB this way N.E fans can regret watching Tom Brady leave their Patriots at the same time as watching Jimmy G begin to win SB's.

There was a reason why Belly wanted to keep Jimmy G over Tom Brady. Because once Tom Brady left? Hoodie is in deep shit with no QB moving forward.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree, but at least he sees and recognizes the problem, unlike our previous two GMs.

13. NCJetsfan

That's simply not true. No NFL GM says, "I'm not gonna draft this elite edge rusher, because I don't have a DT/NT that can pressure the middle. Most teams have edge rushers, only a few have really good interior pass rushers.

#33 NCJetsfan, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I think it's both. We could have had the greatest 3-4 DL in history and opponents been unable to run the ball, but if we didn't have an edge rusher and good CBs, our D wouldn't hold anyone, and ignoring the offense for 10 years was idiotic. When you don't draft OL, WR, RBs, or a QB high, you're not gonna win anything regardless if the players we picked did pan out.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. Br4d

I don't think Macc and Bowles were on the same page very often after 2015. Bowles had to deal with all the dropouts after the 2015 splurge and there was a lot of churn around the notion that Macc wanted Hack to play and Bowles wasn't going to let him on the field because he just blew chunks.

16. Br4d

We didn't hear anything from Bowles that would rock the boat. I think he was in safety first mode from 2016 on because he knew he was going to be the first one pushed out of the lifeboat if things went sour.

The Jets have been dysfunctional for so long at this point that you have to read between the lines if you want any kind of feel for what might have been going down behind the scenes.

This goes back at least as far as 2005 as I see it. In 2005 Herm Edwards was very publicly unhappy with the team in almost all aspects of the operation. Terry Bradway was trying to insulate himself from the public inferno that the disaster that year caused and Herm got left as the public face of failure.

In 2007 and 2008 Tanny and Mangini went from friends to something else as Tanny had to push Mangini out the door when the Favre gambit failed in December.

In 2012 Rex and Tanny were at odds and Mehta was milking Pettine for anything he could get to make things sound juicier, destabilizing all three principals in the process.

In 2014 Idzik was really unhappy at the back-biting that came out of the organization as he was made the fall guy for a decade of failed GM duties (which he certainly contributed to.)

Then we got the Macc and Bowles dance for 3 years from 2016 to 2018 with neither of them openly stirring things up but a lot you could read between the lines on.

Then Macc and Gase and now the Gase-hating that has become almost institutionalized in the press, suggesting it is emanating from 'sources' in the organization.

Something is not right, not being handled professionally, in the Jets forward-facing operations and it has been this way for a solid decade now if not longer. I have no idea who is causing the issues this time around but I'd be really surprised if the Jets organization is not emphasizing to employees at all levels that only a few people are actually empowered to speak for the Jets and that it is a firing offense to be a 'source' for any media entity if you are not one of those people.

Leaks and loose-lips are not that hard to track down once the people who are empowered to speak are eliminated from the pool of suspects.

Vida and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Harris was probably the last second rounder. God, that extension record is even more depressing than the draft record overall. A handful of picks getting a second deal over basically a decade and none of them providing great value.

18. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Then we should have NEVER hired Gase since he cut both Henry & Tannenhill while with Miami :mad:

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I have no words for this.

J-Raw24, MoWilkBeast and NYJFOREVER like this.
  20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

And pass rush.