In retrospect, should the Jets have drafted Lamar Jackson?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It definitely helps. But Flacco's only been sacked over 40 times twice in his career. His last two full years with Baltimore were 33 and 27. Those would both be top 10 best in the league this year.
    It's safe to say they build elite offensive lines. And they've also had a Hall of Fame guard there for a decade +.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

3. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

That's what I am saying, I think Mahomes who be just as good in other places, and I think Darnold would as well. Actually Darnold would be better almost anywhere but here as this line is horrible. But I think Watson would be as bad as Darnold behind this line as well. Any QBs behind this line is going to have issues. It's a revolving door that admits all pass rushers.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Our line is bad, no question about it. But I also think part of TGG's intense focus on it is wishful thinking. We can't replace Darnold or Gase, but we can replace our line. So our only hope is that the line is making Darnold and Gase look worse than they are. And people believe what they want to believe.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  5. J-Raw24

I agree but that's a different discussion. My point was I don't care what qb you put behind that line. Watson. Mahomes, or Darnold, they will all fail because the line.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced Watson or Mahomes would fail. They obviously wouldn't look as good as they do on the Texans and Chiefs. And if you put Darnold on the Texans or Chiefs, he would obviously look better than he does here. But Darnold has made his share of mistakes here that are purely on him. He also doesn't have Mahomes's arm and may not have Watson's accuracy or ball security either (though I can't be sure about Darnold's accuracy or ball security because he has so little to work with here).

7. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

The answer is no, we shouldn't have drafted Lamar Jackson. We wound up with the quarterback everyone spent the entire college season saying was the best quarterback prospect available in the draft (Darnold). Now the better question is, "Should we have drafted Deshaun Watson in 2017?" And the answer to that question is yes. Everyone with a pulse knew Trubisky would suck. And Mahomes had question marks. But all you had to do was watch Watson against Alabama and you knew he was a superstar.

dmw, NYJFOREVER and J-Raw24 like this.
  8. J-Raw24

Agree. I think they would fail without their weapons. But the statement he made was Watson is the one qb that would look good not matter where he went. Which is why I said here any qb will fail. Some to a lesser extent. But our line, offensive weapons, special team (kicker) issues, and lack of edge and corner talent are enough to kill any qb. Our team needs a lot of talent starting up front protecting the qb.

9. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I don't think so, not because Lamar isn't a special QB, but because we don't have the talent level the ravens do and we certainly don't have the coaching staff to take advantage of Lamar's talents.

Lamar went to one of the few situations that allowed him to develop into what he is now

NYJetsO12, dawinner127, MJK and 2 others like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No, as many have said, Lamar would not do nearly as well here with the talent we have, and might likely have already suffered a career-threatening injury.

The CORRECT move was to have taken Mahomes/Watson (I preferred Mahomes) in 2017. Not doing that was complete malpractice and Macc should've been fired immediately. That massive mistake then was compounded by Macc having to burn three top draft picks to just have a CHANCE of drafting a top 4 rated QB. He pulled a rabbit out of his ass when Darnold fell to him because that was NOT what he could've ever planned. Sure, neither Mahomes or Watson would be doing here what they've done for their respective teams, but they would still be better than anyone - including Darnold - would do. Mahome's arm talent in once-in-a-generation or rarer; Watson's intuitive ability to make plays is elite and cannot be coached. Even with the dumpster level of talent here, both would've done well. And taking either would've allowed upgrading of the talent with the three top picks we lost to get Darnold.

I like Sam, and think he can be a FQB, even if not quite as good as Mahomes or Watson. For the Jets, as constituted in 2018, he was the better pick over Lamar.

dmw, NCJetsfan, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  11. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I'm gonna wait till he can show he can beat teams from the pocket in big playoff games...we are one year removed from Jackson not being able to complete a pass vs the Chargers....Jackson is a run FIRST QB unlike Watson, Mahomes, or Wilson and I'm still not convinced that's gonna work long term or in the playoffs.

dmw, J-Raw24 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Nice post.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Some of this is true. But he's still an amazing talent who has shown the ability to improve year after year. He also benefits from the best front office in the NFL.

Mike Vick willed those shitty Falcons teams to 38-28-1 over his first 5 seasons strictly because of his running ability. Add in a higher completion offense, a much better offensive line and defense and you have the product we see in Jackson now. Vick struggled with health. Tons of running QB's do.

But don't forget that he went into Green Bay and won a playoff game with 117 yards passing and beat Brett Favre without any of that.

ColoradoContrails and MJK like this.
  14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

In retrospect, the Jets should have drafted skeighty-eight million other players over the course of my miserable life. Roger Vick says hello! GO JETS!

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  15. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

It's tough to know, as Darnold is only in his second season, has never had a good O-line to protect him, nor any good coaches to develop him. If in five years Jackson and the Ravens are a perennial powerhouse while the Jets are still getting top 10 draft picks every year, then yes, I will say that we probably should have drafted Jackson. I find it hard to stand on the argument that we somehow still made the right move by not drafting a player who is successful elsewhere, simply on the speculation that he would have just been a bust with us. Yes, it's hard to speculate what could have been, but it's also hard to say we made the right move when the move we made led to absolutely no success.

16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

You can make the Arguement = should they have drafted Jackson or Mahommes or even Watson and I can easily agree with both sides of any of those arguments. That said lets hope and pray that Darnold is the real deal but just as important that JD is the real deal or nothing else will matter

#56 CBG, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    J-Raw24 likes this.
  17. I sort of recall on the red carpet NFLN asking him about the jets & he pretty much laughed & gave a firm “NO” on the prospect of playing for them.

As others have pointed out he needed an offense built to suit his skillset even moreso w Sam. Mac lacked that foresight all together. 2 of his next 3 picks after drafting Sam were DL,a perceived position of strength.He was clueless & arrogant in that regard.Lamar wouldve been a disaster

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Shame the same might happen to Darnold and he's not even a "running QB" he still needs to play a full 16.

Lamar did it this year, absolutely I wish we drafted him. I still like Darnold. A lot of people underrating Lamar's passing ability but thats obvious.

19. J-Raw24

I don't underrate his passing ability, but if he gets hurt running then his passing ability doesn't matter. Also has a good passer. Not a great one. He can become better, I have no doubt. But at this time he's not on par with Watson or Mahomes yet. That said I think he can truly become very special, I just hope he stay healthy. On the Jets though he would have a lot of issues behind that o line.

Brook! likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

His pocket presence is just as good if not better then Darnold's. Darnold ain't a great passer either. He wouldn't be as good RIGHT NOW, but if the Jets built around him like they should do with Darnold, no reason why he can't repeat that success.

He's extremely young still and will continue to improve his passing ability. No one in this league is Mahomes, so not sure why that comparison is being thrown around. Watson is good, but Lamar has a stronger arm.