In retrospect, should the Jets have drafted Lamar Jackson?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Jan 9, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It was abysmal for Watson's first two seasons. That's how he wound up getting injured and missing games.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

It still is abysmal

3. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Fair enough. That said I think the penalties are the biggest factor in them being ranked lower. If you watch they have play of time. They are making good blocks and pushing well. But they can't away from penalties. A good o line coach could do wonders there.

4. NCJetsfan

I have to hand it to 101. He nailed it. I didn't think Jackson would improve this much as a passer, and as thin a he was/is, I thought he'd surely get injured running the ball. He still could, but for right now he's an exciting, winning QB. I don't think the Ravens would be nearly as good with another QB. Right now Jackson is ahead of Darnold by a wide margin. Even if Jackson does get hurt and stops running as much, with his quickness and agility he could extend plays in the pocket and avoid the rush and with his TEs and receiving corps, he could still be a very good QB.

Having Jackson, those three 2nd round draft picks, and another player or players due to either staying put at #6 or trading down, sounds mighty appealing. Of course Mac would have taken stiffs with all those other picks, so it really doesn't matter, because we'd have Jackson, no OL or receivers for him, and he'd have been killed already.

5. J-Raw24

They have 2 first round tackles that are only going to get better if they get good coaching

6. NCJetsfan

I believe you. I hadn't kept up with them this season, but knew it was abysmal Watson's first two seasons and knew that the Texans had traded for a player or two (Tunsil?) and perhaps drafted an OL or two, so thought it might have improved a little this season. It sounds like whatever improvement happened was marginal at best.

7. J-Raw24

It has improved, if they weren't as bad at getting penalties it would be a good line. That's on the coaching. Watson hasn't had as much pressure at all. If they get good line coaching they could be a top line. Tunsil maybe the most penalized tackle in the league and Howard isn't much better.

8. dawinner127

Still not sure what you are talking about. Any measurement, statistic, or analytical approach you want to take shows Houston in the bottom quarter of the league in terms of OL.

JetsNation06 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. J-Raw24

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-following-2019-regular-season

20. HOUSTON TEXANS
    It’s safe to say that the Texans’ offensive line has exceeded expectations this season. Coming into this season, they were 31st on this list prior to the trade for Laremy Tunsil, but the significant improvement that we’ve seen from them in pass protection has them up to 20th heading into the playoffs. Tunsil stepped in and admirably filled a gaping hole at left tackle. Across the 2017 and 2018 seasons, Texans’ left tackles allowed a pressure once every 10 pass-blocking snaps, the worst mark in the NFL. Tunsil allowed a pressure only once every 28 snaps this season, fourth among qualifying left tackles.

Again he didn't get pressured as much. If you get rid of the penalties which are figured into all of these rankings they are not as bad... that's a coaching issue.

10. dawinner127

So the ranking on PFF has them at 20. So let's just say instead of abysmal, they are horrible (which I completely disagree with). My original point still stands - Watson is the only quarterback in the last three drafts who would be as good as he is now with whatever around him.

11. J-Raw24

I disagree.. his first 2 seasons he was hurt. Non stop injuries. Then they got a left tackle that was 4th in pressures allowed at the position, and he stayed healthy. Fact is our o line would have had Watson on IR again this year. In no way would he have survived behind this line which is worse the Texans line the last 2 years in which watson was hurt both years.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

His rookie season he got hurt in practice...

He's played every game the last two seasons, only missed one game because the Texans couldn't move up or down in seeding.

I will say he's been banged up though, even though it hasn't hindered his production. He's a special talent.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  13. dawinner127

He's played all 32 games the last two seasons. Week 7 of his rookie year he tore his ACL in practice after lighting the league up 21 total TD and 8 INTs with a 62% completion and 242 YPG.

All Gas No Shake and CotcheryFan like this.
  14. J-Raw24

I agree he's a special talent but to say he wasn't protected better is not reality. Tunsil was a big upgrade for them. The line is ranked so low mainly due to penalties and a lack of run game. He was pressured a lot less this year. And he played through injuries last year. He was hurt a few times but again he is very talented. That said he doesn't rank above mahomes or even jackson this year for a reason. He's good but I think Darnold would also look a lot better with tunsil instead of beachum.

15. J-Raw24

Read the above.

16. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

The facts are sorry to say we do not have the coaches to us Jackson abilities in the way Harbaugh has done in Balt :mad:

17. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

lamar jackson is a big reason that the ravens o-line performs as well as it does.

defenders having to stay in their rush lanes to keep lamar from picking up easy first downs around the edge. they have to commit a spy (or two) at the second level which often means less blitzing. and every rpo has defenders confused af due to lamars ball faking skills (or is it because of his dark skin? ;))

nobody called the ravens o-line elite when flacco was back there taking hits left and right.

Brook! likes this.
  18. dawinner127

I'm not really sure what you are even arguing at this point. Not once did I disagree that Tunsil wasn't an upgrade for them nor that Watson wasn't protected better this year. You kept saying that the OL had a piss poor rating because of penalties, now its because of penalties and lack of run game.

The initial comment/argument made was that Over the last 3 seasons, Watson would be the only QB as good as he is no matter where he went or what team he played for. The OL being piss poor shows that it doesn't matter to him - whether or not they improved it - its irrelevant to my initial point that you quoted/commented on. Jackson wouldn't be as good as he is now on another roster and Mahomes wouldn't be as great as he is now not with Reid and that talented offense.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

We are still really early in all of their careers. I thought Sam was the best QB of the 2018 draft and still do. It blows my mind how the causal fan does not take into account the situations, rosters, and coaches each of these QB's have. Not just talking about Sam/Lamar/Baker but Peyton/Brady, etc. The QB's still have to play and perform, but some situations are much better than others.

MJK likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The fact that the Jets organization neglected getting a FQB asap plus position players in 2017 is just incredible .and unbelievable

More DL? More Safeties? plus late rounders that did nothing is squarely on Starbucks Mike

ColoradoContrails and dmw like this.