2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Ridiculous ending in OT - a botched line change gives the Devils a 3-on-1 that they blow, the Isles come back on a breakaway that they blow, and utlimately Lee wins it on a 3-on-2.

CBG likes this.
  2. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Two in a row. Wasn't pretty but I will take the win and 2points. 4-3 Isles

CBG likes this.
  3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

take the win but we all know the drill = Lou ? Hello Lou ? Are you there ? Pull the trigger !!!

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I think Lou will go for a low cost, incremental improvement. Tyler Toffoli’s name has been thrown around too much to not come to fruition, but if not him someone like him.

that may not seem exciting but the reality is anyone would likely improve the offense at this point so why not?

CBG likes this.
  5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The problem with the situation is we as fans know what the limitations of these players are because we have seen them for years.

Lou and Trotz are now seeing what we have already known, they also are starting to realize that no one in the NHL wants our players, other than Barzal.

We are stuck with bad contracts given to 4th line players, only way to get rid of them is trough attrition or trading away young assets and possibly pick up some of the salary of the bad contracts.

If that’s the case then suck it up and see the contracts to the end since you are going to be financially handicapped either way.

Can’t give away young talent and pay a portion of contracts as well.

Team is in a tough spot when we think about it.

6. JetBlue

Absolutely. Who is available on the trade market, not on an expiring deal, worth giving up any of our top prospects for?

at this point it’s slight incremental improvements in our future. But, as I stated, we are truly so terrible on offense that an incremental improvement may be sufficient.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The problem is, sufficient for what? Winning the first round in 6 or 7 games or losing it in 6 or 7 games? That's good for the owners (a couple of more home games before getting unceremoniously booted out), but doesn't get me very excited. That's exactly the mindset the Isles have been using for decades. I'm not saying that I see a trade to be made now, but Lamoriello has had a couple of years now to try to put together a contending team, and to me he has pretty clearly failed in doing so, and is not showing signs that he's going to do it either. He and ownership seem to be content to trundle along winning and losing 2-1 and 3-2 games, and we've seen that movie before many many times. I had hoped for more. Trotz has greatly exceeded my expectations (Korn the goalie whisperer too), and Lamoriello has significantly underperformed them.

8. Red Menace

While I empathize with your position, it takes time to build a team that can sustain long term success.

Most teams that become Stanley Cup champions make the playoffs 3 or 4 years in a row, and progressively fill in the pieces.

Unless the Islanders miraculously end up with another Barzal and Ovechkin in the draft we will have to endure a couple of second round eliminations until key free agent players that can get them over the hill sign with them.

JetBlue likes this.
  9. JetBlue

Sufficient to improve our offense from it's current putrid output. The players that could single handedly turn our offense into a high powered unit aren't getting traded, so all we can hope for is better than where we are now for the time being. 3 goals is the magic cumber for this team historically under Trotz. we need a few players who are simply better than what we have now, who will buy into the system and increase our scoring to 3 goals regularly. Sure, we aren't going to win the Presidents Trophy and hit 120 points with that roster, but the team needs sustained success before anything. That is what Lou was aiming for with this season -- sustain what we had last year and hope to build upon it with the addition of guys like Dobson and Wahlstrom. Unfortunately neither have happened.

10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I agree with what all of you have said,,,,,,,the contracts are killing us and I wish we could unload Ladd and company that said it would NOT take much to improve this team and OMG if Lou squired a 3rd line center I would probably do a cart wheel !!!! The team as it is currently constructed will not go farther than the 2nd round of the playoffs. IMO if you have to trade a Russian Goalie who IMO is never coming over than do it-----if you have to trade a young prospect do it----trading draft picks is a no brainer for me I would do it in a heart beat ! Bring up Bellows and Wahlstrom now as this team needs offense!!!!!! rant over carry on

11. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Beating a dead horse here but if JT would have resigned or Panarin would have signed we would fighting for first place with the Caps right now instead of being 8 back. If Lou is going to make a trade LA is a team to look at as they are definitely sellers. Last in West but they have some players who could help here like previously mentioned a few posts above in Toffoli.

CBG likes this.
  12. JetBlue

Terrible officiating finishes the job they started with plenty of non-calls against us. But still no excuse for not having more goals in the 1st period.

CBG likes this.
  13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

JB 37 shots on goal and we lose on a painful penalty in OT ---> it should never have come to that we should have scored 4 or 5 goals in regulation! This team does NOT have the horses

JetBlue likes this.
  14. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

First battle of NY this season with Isles at Rangers. Really hope we can get the 2 points as Pitt won last night and are 3 points ahead 61-58. It would also be nice to see an offensive explosion but I know better with the Isles offense.

15. JetBlue

Damn this offense is brutal to watch.

CBG likes this.
  16. JetBlue

This season is beginning to remind me of the 2011 Jets. I don’t see how we even make the playoffs without a drastic change.

17. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Dobson has no business playing in the NHL

Red Menace likes this.
  18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Petro I am not hating Dobson but Bailey , Lee and anyone not named Eberle tonight I am hating. Lou needs to wake up soon and pull the EFFING trigger team needs at LEAST 1 scorer and a 3rd line center. Varmy was horrible tonight as well--->If they lose to the Redwings tomorrow then it will officially be time to panic

19. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Barry Trotz >>>>>>>>David Quinn

20. Red Menace

Barry has a great system, but is hampered by guys like, Bailey, Lee, Eberle, Beauvillier these guys should be putting up big offensive numbers with the amount of chances they get, those guys are simply not NHL top line forwards, they are not scorers.

CBG and matt robinson 17 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.