I’m Done as a STH after 39 years

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I didn’t go today, but didn’t sell my tickets. Getting $50 each for $100 tickets will not change my life. After owning seats for 39 years, I will not be renewing next season. The experience went downhill with the new stadium. It stinks. Parking is a nightmare with the color system and the ridiculous traffic patterns. I would not pay the exorbitant prices for PSLs, but the upper deck is too high and far from the field. I was in row 5 of the uppers in Giants Stadium and the seats were great. I’m in row 3 of the uppers and they are too high. There are different people around me every game. The stadium is sterile and ugly with no character. It is not loud. Opposing fans make up at least 25% of the stadium and often more. Nobody has respect for the people around them. The fans in front of me are leaners ( sitting on the edge of their seats blocking my view) , standers ( standing up n the middle of a play blocking my view) or fake fan third down cheer leaders ( arrive late and then stand for every third down then leave early). At his point in my life, I’d rather watch at home. My brother, who has been going with me for 39 years, and my younger son don’t want the seats either.

The Jets/Giants built a horrible stadium that caters to non fans who spend the game in clubs eating and watching on TV. Plus they overpriced the seats. The games just are not fun anymore. And I kept my seats through the late 80s- early 90s when the team was just as bad.

If the Jets couldn’t keep me as a STH, there are not many others who they will keep. Stub Hub is the main STH now and that is a shame.

2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

No offense but I dunno how many stadiums youve been to these days that have character. They're all pretty much the same

But I've rather enjoyed my season tickets this year. I'm happy I did buy them. I've done a lot, met a lot of people that I really like. Even got to hang out with Brook, meet method man and some ran into Joe Douglas today.

Sorry you feel that way tho. Do what's best for you tho man, I cant judge you for how you feel.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

egelband and Brook! like this.
  3. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Not just high, but especially far back. The new stadiums have flatter slopes and no deck overlaps, plus bigger seats so everything is way far back. Best venue ever was the old Chicago Stadium for Blackhawks games, you were basically falling onto the ice if you weren't careful

egelband likes this.
  4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I understand how you feel. I moved this to Main Jets Forum as I know Jets PR department is reading fan forums. If a few other Season Ticket Holders also post how they feel then maybe Jets can get honest feedback.

With that said here is my story.

I became a STH this year and it is a 1 year thing for me. I went to the games I wanted and gave my ticket away but I didn't feel enough excitement to renew them next year. Stadium is bad. Food and drink are overpriced as hell. Concession stand lines are long and bathrooms have a big lines. This is true for upper deck only.

egelband, AJW, Chrisiue and 5 others like this.
  5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Because it costs $150 to go sit in the middle deck for a 6-9 team so everyone goes upper deck, it's ridiculous.

The average Jets fan isn't going to pay that much to go watch a terrible football team.

On top of the prices, the Jets aren't the only team in town. The potential fan base is already split in half with the Giants, then add in all the other fans in the area and it's a recipe for disaster for home games.

JetsNation06, CBG and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

This hit the nail on the head. The seats are so far back it is absolutely absurd. I went to 3 games at MetLife this year and the game at the Linc in Philly and let me tell you, that stadium absolutely shits on MetLife. Not many seats are covered, but there is not a bad seat in the house. I sat upper deck in row 20ish and I felt like I was still on top of the field. It is built up, not up and out (if that makes any sense?) The tailgating was absolutely awesome as well. People didn't have to squeeze into one spot and keep their tailgate within 1 parking space.

Chrisiue, CBG and Brook! like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, but don't blame you at all.

Chrisiue, JetsNation06 and CBG like this.
  8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I wonder if Jets make tons of money from the tickets and concession stands. Being second fiddle to Giants, this might be something Jets can leverage to bring more Jets fans into the stadium so we aren't feeling like an away team in our own stadium.

Lower the ticket prices.
    Lower the cost of concessions
    Lower the cost of parking
    Don't charge same price for preseason

Maybe they will lose some money but at least that way they can bring more Jets fans to the stadium.

AJW and Chrisiue like this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I miss Shea.

It was a shithole...

...but it was our shithole.

AJW, dmw, BomberJet and 6 others like this.
  10. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I was talking to the stadium staff.... As it's the same for both teams. They said the Jets are by far the better of the 2 teams in terms of taking care of their fans. They said the giants don't do nearly the amount.

Example the 50/50 club is shuts down at game time for the giants, it's stays open for the Jets till half.

The Jets hold more fan events also per staff

11. zace

zace Well-Known Member

You buying on the secondary market? Or is that your price for season tickets. Im in 118 and mine don't cost that much

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

My group has had tickets since the 80s and we will continue to have tickets in 2020. Yea it’s a bad experience for the most part but if you can’t find a way to have fun with friends at a live sporting event, I dunno. I guess my merry band of idiots is different.

I also couldn’t tell you I bought anything more than sausage and peppers in the stadium so I’ve avoided concessions mostly for years now.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Secondary market.

It really depends on the game. When I went to the Buffalo game opening day we sat in section 225b(?) I believe and my group paid $140 a piece.

14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Not buying anything inside is the way to go. I'll eat and drink my face off outside while tailgating and make sure the only thing I purchase is a beer before I sit down, and maybe a water and pretzel at half. Other than that, I won't spend a damn penny inside.

AJW and JetsNation06 like this.
  15. zace

zace Well-Known Member

That's honestly the reason I got the season tickets. I pay 140 per game per my section. It was 400 on the secondary market

16. I had STs for the opening of Metlife till 2013 but saw quite a few games in the old joint.

Frankly i really didnt think there was much of a difference in terms of experience.
    I just think this team needs a home of its own. Its the elephant in the room.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Exactly! That's the big thing that Woody promised Jets fans when he bought the team. He was going to build us our own stadium. He didn't do his homework, then got impatient and settled for being a co-tenant at Metlife. I don't care what kind of practice facilities we have, as long as we never have our own home stadium, the Jets will always be a second-rate team/organization.

AJW and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that Joe Willie but I can understand your feelings well. In my opinion sharing a stadium is absolutely the wrong way to go. No great legacy teams like the Steelers, the Bears, GB, the Pats, on and on would fall for such a compromise.
    It kills the team identity and its legacy. Is like a team with no home and with a nomad fan base. STH loose the feeling of ownership and become renters in someone else's house. Memories are erased week to week when the other tenant comes to play. A team needs to establish roots in his own home, with his own colors 24/7 in display and right in the heart of his own city. My two cents.
    A similar shit show is soon to commence here in LA with the Rams and the Chargers.

Brook! and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  19. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

STH since '84, seriously considering giving them up as well, for mostly the same reasons

Chrisiue, Brook!, jetophile and 2 others like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Maybe if enough of you STHs give them up, the Johnsons will get the message.

AJW, Vida, Chrisiue and 1 other person like this.