Mock Drafts (Please post all mock drafts here)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NCJetsfan, Dec 17, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

http://turnonthejets.com/2019/12/new-york-jets-day-one-two-mock-2019-draft/

New York Jets – Day One/Two Mock 2020 Draft

Michael Meegan with a mock for the New York Jets on day one/two of the 2020 NFL Draft…

While the NFL Draft order is constantly changing, this much is certain, the Jets will have four picks within the top 75 picks, thanks to their poor on field performance and Joe Douglas fleecing the Giants for a 3rd round pick in exchange for Leonard Williams.

1st Round – Tristan Whirfs OT Iowa

Tristan Whirfs is the franchise offensive tackle the Jets have been looking for. While having the traits to play left tackle, Whirfs played on the right side this year due to his team’s roster situation. A mauler in the run game, Whirs is a perfect right tackle for the Jets while they stick with Kelvin Beachum at left tackle for one more year. Whirs able to play both can fill in at RT, while potentially having a long term future at LT.

2nd Round – Creed Humprhey, C Oklahoma

Kevin Mawae and Nick Mangold have long filled the center position as franchise cornerstones. Since Mangold’s retirement the Jets have struggled to fill the center position. Creed could fill the longtime absence of Mangold and be impactful in the run game while also being sturdy in the pass game and be a rock for Sam Darnold for the next decade.

3rd Round – Michael Pittman Jr, WR USC

A physical receiver and Bernadik finalist, Pittman can take over the Demaryius Thomas Role as a guy who gets off the line of scrimmage and uses his body to get open and create yards after the catch. Pittman would immediately be a red zone target to utilize.

3rd Round – Jaylon Johnson, CB Utah

Bless Austin has been a revelation in the second half of the season and Jaylon Johnson would be the perfect compliment. A physical corner whose ball skills will give the Jets opportunistic defense a way to force turnovers and help Gregg Williams be aggressive at the line of scrimmage and be able to tackle in the open field.

I would be ecstatic if the draft actually fell this way and we wound up with these players. There are better players at most of the positions, but it would definitely address needs, adding quality players, getting two of the top OL, a tall target for Sam and a quality CB prospect would be pretty awesome.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This is a good scenario for the Jets. I'd just question if Pittman falls. That's about his projection but if he runs well he will rise. His body type is of Vincent Jackson but he plays more like a possession receiver than Vincent Jackson did.

I don't know if Whirfs is a tackle in the pro's and certainly isn't a left tackle. Either way I think he will be a good offensive lineman because he's a big powerful guy with good technique. He might be taken higher than us though.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  3. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I don't follow college football but OT, C, WR, DB in that order sounds perfect.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t like the idea of taking Wirfs in top 10 if he can’t play LT. Thomas would be ideal obviously and I still think Wills will rise come draft time and possibly be a top 10 pick.

I can’t imagine anyone would be upset with Humphrey in the 2nd, does he make it there? Hope so.

Love getting Pittman in 3rd if we haven’t addressed WR earlier. Again though, does he make it to 3rd? Seems optimistic but it is an extremely deep WR class.

I’d like to see CB addressed in FA. This would be a great spot to get a RB if Bell is traded.

Imagine 4 top 75 picks all on offense? That would certainly show a commitment to developing and getting the best out of Sam.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Walter Football 12/18 Mock https://walterfootball.com/draft2020.php

1. New York Jets: Austin Jackson, OT, USC

The Jets need someone to help Sam Darnold, so both a No. 1 receiver (CeeDee Lamb) and a talented left tackle (Austin Jackson) make sense. The former happens to be the superior prospect, but I think the front office will value protecting Darnold.

Austin Jackson is a terrific athlete with quick feet and superb agility.

2. New York Jets: J.K. Dobbins, RB, Ohio State
    There's been talk that the Jets could trade Le'Veon Bell, as Adam Gase didn't want him in the first place for some reason. If the Jets move Bell, this is a potential replacement.

J.K. Dobbins entered 2017 as a backup, but overtook Mike Weber and had a terrific freshman campaign, showing off his great, explosive running ability.

3a. New York Jets: Nick Harris, C, Washington
    The Jets were so desperate at center that they brought in Ryan Kalil prior to the season. Kalil ended up being terrible, so the Jets will need to find a new center.

Nick Harris is a bit undersized and lacks length, but he's a good player who could be a third-round pick.

3b. New York Jets: Curtis Weaver, DE/OLB, Boise State
    The Jets don't have much of an edge rush, so they'll need to find someone who can help them get after the quarterback.

My thoughts:
    I like what I've read about Jackson, but a few people here say he's too finesse for a non air raid offense. I'm on the fence now.
    I don't like getting a RB in round 2 when a decent one can be had in round 4 and we have bigger needs. I'd much rather take a WR like Higgins.
    I'm not sure that Harris is an ideal C. I'd prefer Humphrey, especially if Biadasz is taken.
    I like the Weaver pick as he could be the stud edge rusher we've lacked since Abraham got traded. I'll assume he doesn't have the work ethic issues that Polite had.

#5 CotcheryFan, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  6. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I like Jackson. I didn't watch him much until some people talked about him on here. I would like to trade back and if he's available take him. I think he's a solid LT prospect. From there I don't like the draft at all... RB can wait. There are better center prospects later than Harris IMO. And Weaver is ify for me. I think he has boom or bust potential. He could be Maxx Crosby or Lorenzo Mauldin. But in the 4th is worth the Gamble.

7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

my 3 million dollar johnson scouting budget produces this 2020 jet mock draft.....

1. OL
    2. OL
    3. OL
    3. OL
    4. OL

5. RB
    6. K

LLOLL.

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I agree with everything you said except the bit about Weaver being boom or bust. IMO, he's a bit raw and needs to learn a few moves, but he can step onto the field for us next year and be our best pass rusher.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

I like Weaver a lot. I think he's more of a fringe first rounder and he's versatile enough to play in both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses. He plays in space and coverage a tiny bit and looks natural at doing so as long as he's in a flat zone and not running with receivers.

He also has tons of college production which I'm a big fan of out of college players. Nearly double digits sacks for 3+ years. Hard to imagine him not at least being a solid NFL player.

CotcheryFan and J-Raw24 like this.
  10. J-Raw24

The being raw is my problem. I think Williams can develop him. But on a team with say. Bowles as the DC i don't think he develops. He has a lot to learn, hence boom or bust. In the right situation he could be a steal.

11. J-Raw24

I agree with you assessment. I don't think he falls that far. Again I like it in the 4th round. But I think with bad coaching he becomes a bust. He can really get after a qb and get in the backfield. Needs to refine his moves a bit. But he gas a lot of talent and can play in space but still needs some coaching there as well. Again a good coach could turn him into a draft steal.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't really think so. I think he's a a productive player regardless. Good coaching makes him a double digits sack player. I think his floor is Brian Robinson kind of guy. 6-9 sacks per year and decent pressure.

He's a little bit slower on the field than I'd like but he checks all the boxes for me. I don't see him getting beyond the middle of the second though.

13. J-Raw24

I guess this is kinda what i mean. Not a bust but not an edge threat. Kinda like Jenkins. Great player , but won't be a scary edge threat either. But with the right coaching he could be an real edge threat 11-15 sacks a season. I like the kinda he has a good motor. I think late 2nd or early third is where i see him. Could go up a lot before the draft.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Pretty sure the Colts are happy with Quentin Nelson a guard they took in the top 10.

Personally, I'll never say no to a talented lineman from Iowa.

NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  15. J-Raw24

Wirfs isn't Nelson. Nelson maybe a once a decade talent. He is the Colts o line.

blackssmagic likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Agreed. I think everyone's too hung up on the whole thought of you should and shouldn't take certain positions in certain rounds.

We need good football players on the line. Good guards and right tackles can be equally as valuable as good left tackles.

You can also count on offensive lineman for a decade plus of good play. It's not like runningbacks or corners that fade at 27-28.

17. J-Raw24

I agree. If there was a Nelson available that should hands down be our pick. Kid is a freak of nature. I just don't think Wirfs is that type of player. He could have a solid career on an already decent o line. But I don't think he is anywhere near the player Nelson is. I would take a Nelson type player at our pick in a heartbeat.

18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’m sure they are and if Wirfs was a generational RT prospect there wouldn’t be any issue. He’s not though and if JD doesn’t think he can play LT in the NFL he shouldn’t be a top 10 pick.

NCJetsfan and J-Raw24 like this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

Wirfs can bring much needed physicality to this offensive line. Versatile and has good technique. Hes def a consideration with the first round pick. Iowa lineman tend to be very good at the next level.

20. 101GangGreen101

Brandon Schreff isn't a generational talent was taken at 5 and is a really good guard. Point is dont limit yourself to just a LT at the top of the draft. Get all the help you can get and The Jets cannot afford to let good lineman pass.