Report - Jets Trying To Trade Bell

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by footballfundamentals, Sep 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He's a luxury for us now. We got a 1 for Abraham and used that pick on Mangold. It's far from impossible.

2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

If we got a one and drafted Kyle Wilson then we give up a top talent for nothing. Just saying. And it happens a lot... I'm betting it happens this year to Miami who gave up Tunsil and Minkah.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  3. J-Raw24

I'm not ready to see a top talent go for Douglas to get a pick in the late first round. After Douglas proves he can draft I'm all for it. But lets not jump the gun and start selling talent with a rookie GM who could be like the other gms we had this decade. Patience works both ways.

Acad23, MoWilkBeast and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, there is no one that should be considered "untouchable" on this team except Darnold.

As to trading Bell, unless a team offered at least two high picks, including a #1 this year, and took on his entire contract, I don't think it makes sense to deal him, ESPECIALLY if the Jets have to offset part of his contract and that counts against their cap.

As for trading Adams, again, I would want multiple high picks - more than for Bell because he's younger and still on his rookie deal - but if a team offered such a package, I would do it. He's a luxury on this team. Plus, I really don't think he'll re-sign with the Jets once his contract ends, so it's best to get maximum value for him while they can.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. J-Raw24

No one is untouchable. That's not what I'm saying. If the Bengals came up and said we could have every draft pick this year plus their next 3 first rounders for Darnold. Sam maybe on his way to Cincinnati. Point is it won't happen. Why get rid of talent for a less than 50% chance of talent. At the rate first rounders have been not working out lately it would be non-sense.

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Fair point. OTOH, I'd hate to lose him for nothing and we have no idea if he wants to stay with us after his rookie contract is up. I'm not saying he must be traded, just that Douglas should be open to it IMO.

7. J-Raw24

If he's offered a slew of pick or Adams says he won't resign maybe but just because Dallas offered a 1st and 3rd, nah.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

No one's giving up a #1 for Bell. A second rounder is his value and a fair value at that for a running back entering his death years. I think moving him makes sense but I don't think we'd even get much interest for a second rounder. If we did I think he would've been moved at the deadline.

James Hasty and J-Raw24 like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Then it's not worth trading him.

James Hasty likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

In the short term it doesn't. We keep a proven player on offense for another year in the same system and have to assume he'll be more productive behind a better offensive line.

Long term it feels like the right move, even if you take the pick and draft a runningback with it. Get someone on a rookie deal for 5 years that you can rail into the ground, let go, rinse and repeat.

The issue is that I don't think he has enough value right now to get a second. There reportedly weren't many teams in on him in the off-season at the numbers he wanted to be paid. There's no reason why teams would want to give up much for him, at the same contract numbers and a year older/off the worst year of his career.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree with such a strong statement. To begin with, we don't know how Bell and Gase get along. We know that Gase doesn't seem to know how to use Bell, and Bell may want out. Theoretically, if the Jets fix the OL, then Bell could be very useful, but only if Gase uses him correctly. If he used him again like he did this year, Bell's talents would be wasted on the Jets, we'd be better off drafting and starting someone like AJ Dillon.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You don't know that. Speaking in such absolutes is silly imo. We don't know what has transpired behind the scenes, what Gase's and Douglas' plans are, and how the players feel about staying on a rebuilding team. Both players may have had their fill of Adam Gase and want out. Adams has already said that he'd love to play for the Cowboys. Gase doesn't seem to know how to use Bell. Even with a better OL, he may not use him any differently next year. If so, Bell would be wasted and wouldn't really help us that much. If some team offered us a 2nd round pick for Bell in that circumstance (where Gase didn't want Bell and didn't plan to use him any differently next season), then we'd be dumb for not trading him.

I like both players, and part of me hopes that they're both Jets next season, but if they are unhappy and want out, and/or if some team(s) blow(s) Douglas away with an offer for one or both that's too good to refuse, then I won't be upset if he trades one or both.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If a team offers a 2nd for Bell, Gase will pack his bags and drive him to airport himself. Unfortunately that seems like a pipe dream as I don’t see any team giving up a 2nd for a RB that looks shot and is making some big bucks.

Best we can hope for is a 3rd..maybe. I’d take that.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I like both sides of the Arguement in keeping or trading Bell/Adams

But I am definitely leanining towards a Trade and definitely at least putting them both on Trade Block

Float them out there and see what the Market Offers..THEN make a decision

Right now everyone just speculating what their Value is but nothing is for sure till actual Offers come in

Worse comes to worse they stay on the Jets until their Agents wants them to move on

It's trickier with Bell since we don't know if our Offensive Genius Coach knows how to use him even with a good OL

15. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

first of all you dont trade bell for a 2nd or a 3rd because of the cap hit. Good teams do not take that cap hit to get a replacement player that will more then likely not be of equal value.
    Not for Adams if the price is right yes, but the the price is steep. you do not give up probowl players on rookie contracts for a 1st and 3rd. Sorry that does not make sense, at some point you need to bite the bullet and sign some of the players we drafted esp if they are very good players

16. Jonathan_Vilma

This isn't a second year player on his rookie contract so the whole notion behind not trading away rookie contract players is misleading. I would agree with you if that were the case. But he's due an extension in a year.

There are three scenarios with Adams.

Pay him what he wants. I think the estimate would be an average of $15-$17 million per year at least for the first three before he's cuttable.

Trade him for a first and a third. I really don't think it's an unreasonable ask. It'd suck to lose him but you save the money on paying a run stopping strong safety record breaking money.

Let him walk. I really hope we don't do this. We get nothing more than a third round comp pick and that's only if we don't go crazy in FA.

17. J-Raw24

Problem with this is if you actively float them out there they can become disgruntled. They feel their worth to the team is less so the play with less energy. If we want to keep this its a bad idea.

18. J-Raw24

These are the only 3 option and unless Douglas get Adams to sign a "team friendly" deal, which doesn't seem likely we may have to trade him. But we don't have to decide yet. Pick up his option, let his value go up a little more if we draft right, and don't make him disgruntled on the trade block unless he forces it. Give Douglas a year to get his draft and scouting in order.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

The players value plummets after this offseason though. The decision will have to be made now. If we are going to try to re-sign him then you can obviously stand pat and just pickup the option and live to fight another day.

If there's any thought to moving him it's this offseason or not at all. It'd be asinine to move him mid season unless we're in some terrible 1-6 hole again. At which point the whole Tri-State area might be lighting their tiki torches outside One Jets Drive.

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Some days it strikes me that we managed to hire a head coach who doesn’t know what the fuck to do with LeVeon Bell. This is one of those days. I can’t believe we finally had an elite offensive talent and we’re going to trade him because of completely unfounded loyalty to a terrible head coach.

ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.