Sorry Mike McCarthy

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by forevercursed, Oct 6, 2019.

1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I cannot stand Gase. But I can't see MM being good here. He was a coach on good team, with a good front office. He had a lot of stars and a lot of leeway. I'm not sure thats a thing for the Jets. And I'm not sold he's a great coach. No matter what side the issues started on, you can't have issues with your star QB. I also agree Garrett is a waste. He's done nothing in Dallas but stack talent and lose. That team has some if the most talent in the NFL and can't beat Adam Gase and the Jets.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sad. I understand Rodgers using it as motivation at first to prove McCarthy wrong, but once he became Rodgers' HC, Rodgers should have let it go. Is his ego that fragile or is he that petty, that he has to spend 14 years paying McCarthy back? After all, Rodgers had the last laugh showing everyone that they were wrong for passing on him. He should have been the #1 pick. That satisfaction ought to have been enough.

I've always assumed that Rodgers was right and that McCarthy was to blame. Guess that makes me an ass. I do think criticism regarding McCarthy's conservatism and refusing to change his WR routes is merited. I think other teams know those routes pretty well by now. Still, Rodgers goes way down in my estimation and McCarthy goes up.

Ralebird likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

after all the money jerry jones gave him. it's the best thing he can do to help dallas win at least 2 games a year.

GQMartin likes this.
  4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Well i think the reason your hearing this alot is because of how historically bad Adam Gase has been..It has the feel of someone offering you a 2019 Lamborgini for free instead you turn it down and decided to pay $300,000 for a 1991 Ford Taurus with transmission issues,bad brakes,300,000 miles on it ....Nothing about it makes sense.Peyton Manning is the only reason this idiot has a job here.The Jets paid a guy millions who isnt even an NFL head coach.

5. LongIslandBlitz

Now Ron Rivera is available and he checks all the boxes for what you want in a good head coach..He got fired because he wasnt new ownerships hire,Cam Newton on IR...etc.He will likely end up on the Giants but if i was Woody i would start talks with him this week and see what his intrest is in coaching here.

dmarz45 likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Can you offer some evidence as to how he's been "historically bad," that's not emotional opinion?

7. LongIslandBlitz

Hes the first coach in NFL history to lose to two teams 0-7 or worse in the same season...

Ralebird likes this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Year after year he has never improved his won - lost record.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

What's his lifetime record as HC? 27-34 - historically speaking, that's a losing record.

"You are what your record says you are". Bill Parcells.

Ralebird likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

It's a fair point. Did you also factor in that his starting quarterback has missed 27 out of those 51 games?

11. ColoradoContrails

Not an insignificant point, but I still stand by the Parcells Rule. When all is said and done, over time, with the ups and downs of seasons and injuries, etc. your record is a pretty good indicator of the job you've done.

As to not having his starting QB for over half his games, who picks the starting QB and their backups? Who creates the game plans these QBs use? Gase has had input - and in his last two years in Miami, pretty much total imput over the choice of players, so does he get absolved for this? Even this year, isn't he the one who decided which backups were signed and which ones to play? He's not a victim without any control over his situation.

His record is the proof of his performance.

Ralebird and J-Raw24 like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

The Dolphins re-signed Tannehill to a 4 year $90 million extension in May of 2015. Gase was hired as the coach the following year in 2016.

He signed Cutler out of retirement to replace Tannehill when he went down in 2017. We've seen how players out of retirement play firsthand.

Your argument is a pretty weak one if you're going to tell me Gase didn't do enough to win with his backup quarterback for more than half of his games coached.

And then we went into this season with Trevor Siemien as our backup. By most estimations, a pretty good NFL backup. 13-11 as a starter (you are what your record says you are, right?). And then he goes down in the second quarter of his only start.

Unless I missed it, he has only been named as head coach in the two places he's been. Not head coach/GM. Of course he has input on personnel. But to blame his quarterback injuries on him is weak at best.

It's ok to dislike him as a coach but there's a lot of grasping about certain things to say how supposedly horrible he's been in his first four months here.

13. ColoradoContrails

I didn't blame the QB injuries on Gase. I blamed his not planning for the inevitable injuries, and then not adjusting when he had to go to his backups.

As to who he's chosen to sign as backups, why Cutler, if as you say, players coming out of retirement don't usually do too well? And note that I'm not crucifying him for just that, but there's something wrong with his approach when his backups consistently under perform. Is it the player, or his inability to make adjustments to the player's actual ability, or a combination of both? I'd give the most weight to choice B, with some going to his choice of who he names as backup.

And I never said he was a GM, but he was given that effective power in Miami, and he briefly held it here in between Macc and Douglas, so he HAS had a lot of iput on player acquisition.

Finally, I think the "grasping" is more on the part of those trying to defend him. There's no need to "grasp" beyond looking at the results.

Ralebird and J-Raw24 like this.
  14. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

I don't think he'll end up with the Giants. Seriously why would he want to go to that dumpster fire with Gettleman above him when he's going to have better options. Or can wait for better jobs.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

So not winning more games as a result of whom was chosen as a backup quarterback on mediocre talent-level teams is on Gase because he didn't chose a better backup? In a situation where we really have no idea who made that decision?

Teams rarely do very good with backup quarterbacks.

I'm also not entirely sure how familiar you are with their cap situation in 2016-2018 but Mike Tannenbaum did Mike Tannenbaum things and put them in absolute cap hell as he always does with teams. You can view it on Spotrac if you'd like.

16. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Cause that dumpster fire pays well,
    He paid Cutler 10 million. Enough for any backup at that time. And Cutler was his choice. It was reported the whole time that was his choice. He talked Cutler out of retirement. Thats on him.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Uh he tore his ACL on August 3rd, 2017. The season starts the first week of September.

Please explain to me what better option he had.

18. LongIslandBlitz

People in NFL offices refer to Gase as a "Professional Excuse Maker"....according to sources....You sound just like him.You were probably one of the guys who defended John Idzik....I wanted Idzik gone the day we hired him...I can just tell when somethings not going to work..This is not going to end well with Gase...

19. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

He worked with Gettleman in Carolina.

20. ColoradoContrails

I never said it was ALL on Gase, but he sure has a part to play in all that. Are you excusing him from any responsibility with respects to who he chooses as back up and how he uses them?