Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We ran 17 times for 62 yards, good for 3.5 yards per carry with several no gainers in there.

I don't really get that the Bengals are weak to the edges. They've been absolutely killed by running quarterbacks 300+ yards in 3 games by Kyler Murray and Lamar Jackson and then nearly 50 each from Gardner Minshew and Josh Allen.

I mean the Ravens runningbacks ran for 62 yards on 16 carries in their most recent game. 3.87 yards per carry. The Seahawks runningbacks rushed 21 times for 64 yards (3.0 YPC).

A couple of teams beat them up on the ground (Raiders, 49ers, Bills) but we also have one of the worst running games in the league. It's not like it was just wide open all game and we went away from it.

94Abraham likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

101, I think they would like to put Bell out wide more in the passing game but unfortunately he's needed for his pass blocking skills more. Notice that in the games where the QB(s) haven't been getting killed, those in turn have been the games where they did experiment with Bell out wide.

the jumbo formation idea is a horrible one though, I'm sorry. this offensive Line can't open holes with the defense all spread out, they sure as hell aren't going to be able to open it with the defense loading the box

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'm not. I'm saying that's probably not the best approach to take with a 2nd year QB because it worked with a hall-of-famer and one of the best of all time who also had an elite WR at his disposal.

Edit: He may not be "getting it wrong" but there's a difference between not getting it wrong and thriving.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks. Sorry for the long paragraph. I have edited the post and broke it up. I didn't realize that paragraph had gotten so long.

Believe me, I'm not saying that the offense doesn't need overhauling. I know it does. I was just pointing out that adding one RB and one WR isn't overhauling. I know how much the emphasis has been on the D in the last 11 drafts and it has made me nuts.

How did you arrive at the $75 million in cap space figure? According to overthecap.com, the Jets will have $62,121,439 in cap space next season. I thought that we were down to around $1.5 million left this season, but somehow it shows that we have $6,347,839 left this season. That would put it at around $68.5 million. Are you including how much the cap is likely to go up, or does that include cutting Winters?

Even at $75 million or $100 million, I doubt that Douglas will be able to sign that many new players. Other teams will be signing FAs, we have a number of our own FAs that will need to be-resigned, and Douglas will only have so much time to negotiate with players/agents. I'd love to be wrong, however. I'd love it if Douglas signs as many players as the Bills did last offseason.

I can actually see us having more than $75 million in cap space, if we cut Winters, Trumaine Johnson, Darryl Roberts, and Avery Williamson. That would give us an additional $22.8 million, and if Enunwa retires or we cut him, we'd save another $2.4 million. Then there's how much the cap increases. Even with $100 million in cap space but limited draft picks, there's only so much Douglas can do in one offseason. I think by the time 2-3 offseasons have passed, we will have an almost completely different offense. I think Sam will definitely still be here, probably Herndon, maybe Anderson, maybe Edoga, maybe Crowder. The rest will be new additions.

I think that Douglas should and will sign a CB or two in FA. He may or may not be able to sign a 2nd tier Edge rusher. If not, fine. I think pretty much the entire draft (unless the OL the Jets want don't fall to us) should be spent on OL and WR.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

He's not making people miss though. And if he does, it's such a slow hesitation move that the second defender gets there in a heart beat.

Good receiving runningbacks feast on check downs and option routes. That's all Kamara and McCaffrey run.

I mean what do you want to do with him? Throw tunnel screens his way? Our screen game also sucks as a result of the shitty offensive line?
    Run him on slants and go patterns?

twown likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I've watched a few of their games and trubisky never gets pressured really. I also found these but these are the newest i could fine

Preseason: https://www.4for4.com/fantasy-football/2019/preseason/2019-offensive-line-rankings-1-10
    bears ranked 5th

After preseason PFF rank 9 https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pff-rankings-all-32-offensive-lines-after-the-2019-nfl-preseason
    After week 3 PFF moved them up to 8 https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pff-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-following-week-3-of-the-2019-nfl-season

so they have a top 10 o-line as far as i can see and read

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'd agree that the numbers are a bit skewed because they got torched by QBs and not every team has a Kyler or a Lamar... but they are last in the league by 14 (20 before this Sunday) yards per game. I didn't do the math but I'd have to imagine that even reducing those QB rushing stats to the mean, they'd still lead the league in rushing yards allowed.

How do you have your QB throw the ball a career-high 48 times against a team that gave up 166 rushing yards per game? That's just fucking baffling and there's no excuse for it.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Peyton didn’t just wake one day in his late 20s and start using it. It’s a system ,just like any other. It takes reps and film work and players being in the same page . I don’t see any reason why Sam can’t run the same one. Other than the line in front of him doesn’t let him run anything but for his life.

9. BrowningNagle

I think they could mix in some slant patterns for him. 2nd & 7, you motion Bell out of the backfield and have him run a slant for 5 yards or so across the middle.

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Sam's skill set isn't Peyton's. Peyton was a genius at reading defenses pre snap and changing plays at the line. He was also a traditional pocket passer. Sam doesn't have Peyton's abilities and never will, and he's best when on the move. Good coaches build their offenses around their players.

11. BrowningNagle

building his offense around the strengths of his QBs/hiding their weaknesses was/is a hallmark of Adam Gase's strengths. He was instrumental in making Tim Teblow competent enough to make the playoffs, which is why he was rewarded with the offensive coordinator job in the 1st place.

He went to Chicago and to this day is the only coordinator able to keep Jay Cutler from turning the football over constantly.

he doesn't NEED Peyton Manning, but when he did have Peyton Manning he only happened to run the greatest offense this league has ever seen.

--

lets criticize him for things that he actually fails at instead of making things up

Jonathan_Vilma and FJF like this.
  12. FJF

Peyton wasn’t a genius at 22. He was a good football player with a live arm.
    He became a genius through reps and film and some stability
    Sams good on the move when the play breaks down, he is also good when the play stays on schedule and he has a clean windshield . I haven’t seen Gase run anything Sam can’t do with more reps and experience

13. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

https://empiresportsmedia.com/new-york-jets/new-york-jets-adam-gase-is-not-a-qb-whisperer/

Well lets see.... The Titans have won 5 of their last 6 games since Tannehill took the reigns. He’s resurrected their squad and put them in the thick of the playoff hunt. Tannehill now has a 113.9 Passer Rating, 1,602 Yards, 12 TDs & 4 INTs. Tannehill is a front runner for comeback player of the year as well. How can you really say he was the problem in Miami when he’s having so much success with the good coaching staff. Gase was evidently holding him back and that gives him a very bad look.

No convinced how about a losing record as a HC.... NO convinced, maybe having the dubious distinction of losing to two team that were winless. Not even RK could pull that off... AG is not the answer he is part of the problem which was created by the CJ who seems to have an FB IB of idiot.

14. BrowningNagle

Pansyhill has a couple good games and you crown him so quickly lol

FJF likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I didn't think holding him out for MOST of the p.s. was a bad thing given his lack of playing time for over a year, but to have NO snaps was dumb. Almost as dumb as not having your OL play a single down together. Or maybe we're not giving him enough credit for being able to see the future and knowing that the OL injuries would mean they wouldn't play together anyway.:rolleyes:

16. Jonathan_Vilma

15 touchdowns to 7 turnovers. He's accounted for 148 touchdowns to 103 turnovers for his career. He's slightly ahead of his normal rates but he's always been an average quarterback. He was with Gase and he still is.

Average quarterbacks end up in great situations and things just click. Case Keenum was 11-3 and threw 22 touchdowns to 7 picks and went to the NFC Championship game. Ryan Fitzpatrick and Vinny Testaverde with us. Jay Fiedler went to the playoffs in back to back years. Jake Plummer won a ton of games at the end of his career with Denver. Kerry Collins secured the #1 seed with the the Titans in 2008.

It's not some wild occurrence to see a middle of the road quarterback have a good year in their early 30s. And he's not exactly lighting the league on fire. He's beaten one winning team.

FJF likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agree with all of this, but I want to note that if Gase was truly a creative HC and had any flexibility, why not use Powell or Montgomery for runs to the outside to open things up if the concern was that Bell is too slow? In short, why not try something different? Apparently that's NOT something in Gase's play book.

18. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Its that he's doing it with bearly any talent around him. He just has a coach that know how to use him. I don't think he's a great QB. No one on that team is really Great. But the coach is coaching them up. Something Gase has never done.

19. FJF

He has a good o line and a monster run game keeping 8 in the box so he can throw at man coverage and check down for good yardage.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't really see any gameplans tailored around Bell's strengths. Wheel routes, out routes out of the back-field, slants, etc I feel the majority have been him just getting basic check-downs, where Bell drifts away from the pocket.

We don't know for sure if it would work, Jets have 3 big TEs that can surely help out in the run game. We only ran it like 9 times last week, and the majority were obvious runs up the middle. Bell is a great pass protector though, no doubt about it. Teams like the Panthers and Packers just know how to get their RBs the ball in the passing game, doesnt feel the same way with Gase.

#2600 101GangGreen101, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019