Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

wow I didn't realize he was getting the ball that much. and the NY Post writes an article about Gase not using, or not wanting to use Bell. stunning ignorance

FJF likes this.
  2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

That d didn't click until last few weeks... they rode the qb. The offense is built and game planned around that qb. Flaco could never run that offense

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's a nobody since Gase traded him. That's the point.

And it came up because someone tried to use him as a case in point of Gase misusing talent. When he's just another example of a lightning in a bottle runningback that flames out. Gase made the right move getting rid of him. That's the point.

4. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Problem is since that lightning in a bottle Gase has been horrible. He can't call plays. Had to have Sam tell him to change it up. And now he's just calling more of the same.

#2524 J-Raw24, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That, of course, is because the New York Jets decided to hire Gase to become the team’s next coach. And we could look at this two ways: did he coach a terrible team that got lucky to have a few more wins than they should have (in which case Gase should be considered a bad coach), or did he oversee a talent-poor team and coached them up to win more often than they should have (in which case Case should be considered a good coach)?

From 2016 to 2018, Miami went 18-5 in games decided by 7 or fewer points, and 20-6 in games decided by 8 or fewer points. Both records were comfortably the best in the league. So, is that sparkling record in close games a positive for Gase — hey, he’s a great coach who wins when the talent level is close! — or a negative for Gase (he’s a terrible coach who is lucky his teams won as often as they did).

Unfortunately for Jets fans, nearly all the research on this subject suggests that a team’s record in close games is not reflective of skill, but of luck. The Jets have been terrible in close games in recent years, while Gase has been great: you would expect some regression to the mean in either instance, and I would project the Jets to be about .500 in close games during Gase’s tenure.

The bigger cause for concern, then, would be this: Gase went an almost unfathomable 3-19 in games decided by more than 8 points during his time in Miami.

https://www.footballperspective.com...-3-19-in-games-decided-by-more-than-8-points/

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. You call plays based on how your personnel matches up w. the opponent & the situation.It's hard near impossible to call a good balanced game w. a non existent offensive line & WR's w. questionable ability to separate.

Get on Gase for not getting w. Pollock to get this OL to actually block someone. Get on him for stubborn things like benching Ty Montgomery. Even get on him for lying to all of us claiming he was building an offense around the team's strengths when in reality he's using the exact same offense he used in Miami which doesnt fit AT ALL. But getting on him for playcalling on a micro level is just silly.This OL makes it impossible to use logical play calling.

7. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

So as I listen to certain people and become aware of the way things work in the NFL I try to take notice of when things are said by certain people and their connection to the organization. I was listening to Daniel Jerimiah this morning. If you remember he was linked to the Jets front office during the summer. Him and Douglas worked together for the Ravens. Obviously a connection. His comments were to the lines "the Jets losing to the Bengals and Dolphins is not good and we could talk about them but would need more time."

My take and my take only he is not happy with the way Gase is coaching. Here is my question. Is he putting this out their for Douglas to see if their is interest or is this just an observation. Maybe I'm reading too much into this. Maybe I'm pulling at straws. I don't know but I'm hoping that he had a conversation with Douglas or has some insight. Hoping something is there. That being said connected to Douglas or not I'd have the same analysis so probably nothing here but knowing the connection I thought it was interesting.

NYJetsO12 and rohirrim665 like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

its not unfathomable though. When Gase gets behind or ahead, he doesn't line up and run out the clock conservatively like most coaches. We've seen that on display both good and bad this season

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That should cancel out though. If he doesn't coach conservatively when he's ahead, then he should have blowout wins that should even out his point differential from the times he doesn't coach conservatively when he's behind.

10. BrowningNagle

not really, only if his team doesn't suck. dude has coached the dolphins and the jets. Its tough to blow anyone out with those shitty players

11. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

This isn't even in defense of Gase, but I as much as I love Leveon for the way he has conducted himself throughout this shitshow of a season, I like the way Powell runs MUCH better. Powell has so much more burst. I get Leveon's patient running style, but he lacks burst when a hole is open. There was a play in Cincinnati where he should have broken off a big run and he took FOREVER to hit the hole and got a 6 or 7 yard gain when it should have been a big play.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Sorry Kurt, we almost always agree, but in this case, no. I do not hate Gase. If he took them to the SB I'd love him. But he isn't going to do that. He'll be lucky if he ever gets them to the playoffs and a one and done trip at that.

Yes, yes, yes, the talent sucks. But it sucked last year too, and has had for a decade. No one realistically expected them to get to the p.o. this year, but they've , regressed. And yes, yes, yes, there have been a lot of injuries, especially to key players, but still they could've been playing better than they did...not winning maybe, but looking competitive. You don't think Gase had any meaningful impact on that?

Let's revisit some things:

1. Goes the whole p.s. without playing his OL together, then throws them together for the season.
    2. Selects backup QBs that should probably not even be in the league.
    3. Never altered his game plans, play calling, despite clear evidence they sucked and didn't fit the players he had.

I could go on but these serve the purpose of showing where a HC could make a difference.Would altering these have made them winners? Nope. But they would've looked like an NFL team. And it's not like he's a rookie. He's been a HC for 3 years before coming here, and he's doing the same things that caused him to be a loser in Miami.

You want to give him more time, that's up to you, but IMO it's just a waste, and will push the rebuild back even further. It was a bad hire from the start, and the results have only proven this out.

NYJetsO12 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Post of the Day! A truly outstanding post! Spot on!!!

14. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Yeah as really 1969 Since said it. It is in the not just being a team leader but also a team player at the same time!

15. I've been very critical of Gase for how he handled the OL, within certain context have criticized his scheme & have been disgusted with how he's handled injuries w. the training staff who up to his regime have been pretty much flawless.

But let's be real. If we're gonna check off every little flaw in his body of work let's at least keep in mind the things working against him..

1. The worst roster in the nfl. The absolute WORST
    2. A new scheme & pass first mentality considered to be complex & time needed to learn it
    3. There's a fine line between "Everybody has injuries" to when a team has had SO many injuries to a shallow depth chart that it simply can't be overcome on a hollistic basis. We've undoubtedly reached that point.

And last I checked he did something Todd bowles NEVER accomplished in 4 years or no Dolphins coach accomplshed since Dave stinking Wannstadt in MAKING THE PLAYOFFS. "What he Gase ever done?" How bout starting w. THAT?!

It doesn't matter if I think he needs more time or he doesn't. Draw your own conclussions...w. all respect you already have. But at least acknowledge the whole picture...good and bad. Every time somebody brings up the reality of the situation the "fire gase" crowd gets ultra defensive....it suggests a lack of objectivity & bias.Frankly for many it's based on no other reason than they didnt like him in Miami, he isn't Mike Mccarthy & they need a scapegoat

BrowningNagle likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Personally, I think he needs to look at Kyle Shanahan and see how many versatile run plays he has in his arsenal. They have a much better offensive line however. I think his pass concepts are pretty good, but the overall offense just lacks the type of balance you need to win at the next level. Theres always some way to adjust.

Also, he doesn't use the strength of his players, unless the players make him. Sunday, no rollouts away from Dunlap. No runs to the outside for Bell. IDK, where the Jets go from here in terms of coaching.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

let's face it folks.......we suck!

Doreblade likes this.
  18. All offseason he was asked what the team’s identity was.He spoke in the same generics that Bowles/Mangini did about fitting the scheme to the teams strength.And just like the other 2 instead chose to run his typical scheme which ISNT a natural fit..this bothered me immensely.

I dont get on him about the running game though.The OL gets absolutely zero push forget about sealing the edge for an outside run. Unfortunately like it or not puting the ball in Sam’s hands is the only way this O is gonna create big plays. Bell be damned.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Panthers fire Ron Rivera after eight-plus seasons, Perry Fewell to serve as interim head coach

The Carolina Panthers have announced the firing of head coach Ron Rivera. The Panthers elected to make the move coming off a disappointing 29-21 defeat at the hands of the Washington Redskins Sunday. Secondary coach Perry Fewell has been named the interim head coach while offensive coordinator Norv Turner will transition to special assistant to the head coach, and quarterbacks coach Scott Turner will serve as offensive coordinator.

"I believe this is the best decision for the long-term success of our team," owner David Tepper said in a statement.

"I have a great deal of respect for Ron and the contributions he has made to this franchise and to this community. I wish him the best. I will immediately begin the search for the next head coach of the Carolina Panthers."

According to NFL Media's Tiffany Blackmon, the coaching staff was in 'complete shock' that a change was made today. They were amidst preparation for their upcoming game against the Falcons and carrying on with business as usual.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well if they can do it, so can the Jets.

NYJetsO12 and Footballgod214 like this.