Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Again, you're overstating the criticisms to make it easier to refute them. Very few, if anyone, here said we're above the Bengals, et. al. Most here said that the Jets had better not take Cincy for granted, and sure as shit, look what happened. But given we're not above those teams, those teams should not be kicking our ass. For all the mistakes made by the players yesterday (and in all the other losses), not once did I see Gase try to alter his plans to make up for those mistakes. Granted, maybe his adjustments wouldn't have worked, but he could've tried. I didn't see it. In all seriousness I think he ought to just let Sam call every play, he would do so much better than the "genius" who is so out of touch with what's going on around him, it's like he's playing Madden while the game is taking place in front of him.

truthbtold and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Once the plane and banner with the Fire Adam Gase Now on it flew across the Hudson, the beat writers went into full damage control.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

As far as the bolded is concerned you are 100% correct but I don't see a single poster here who has expected that so why create the strawman?

I vehemently disagree with the other sentence in your opening paragraph, he has been tremendously inconsistent which is reflected in the standings. The next five paragraphs are just the same old excuses without looking at the big picture of what a head coach is expected to be.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. Ralebird

First you need to stop using a term like "the Jets beat" as if it is a singular entity then you can show us what you characterize as "full damage control." Which of these guys ignored the abysmal showing and threw their complete, unwavering support behind Gase?

5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

When I say "Jets Beat" I'm talking guys like Cimini, Hughes, Mehta, Costello, etc. I'm not talking about the million and one Jets bloggers out there. Mehta was the only one that ripped Gase after losing to Miami. Cimini, Hughes, and Costello are just 3 of the many that threw their support behind Gase.

6. Ralebird

Saying the timing wasn't right for making a change is far from "damage control." Nor is it the same as throwing support behind the loser.

7. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

The beat writers walk a fine line. Gase is the coach, and they have to deal with him on a regular basis. They undoubtedly want to get on his good side so he'll leak them an occasional scoop. That's why they seem to have played along with him. Mehta seems to be different. He seems to be carrying water for whatever anti-Gase faction exists inside the Jets. He's done that before. Wasn't he the guy who did the dirty work for the anti-Doug Marone faction in 1 Jets Drive when it looked as if Marone was the favorite to replace Rex Ryan? Didn't he carry Pettine's water when Pettine was there? In other words, Mehta seems to pick a faction and use his stories to boost that faction.

#2427 Since1969, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's fine. No one said that we had to agree. All I know is that with a QB like Aaron Rodgers and they receivers they've had, they've lost a lot more games than they should have, Packer fans couldn't wait to get rid of him, and some in the media think the game has passed him by. That his offense is too conservative and old-fashioned. Packer teams under him were not known for being that disciplined, either. They got a lot of dumb penalties. I've also seen the Packers play a lot since there on TV more than the Jets, and I've seen bad play calling and an underachieving offense with possibly the greatest QB ever to play the game.

I also think that McCarthy would have wanted his own staff and probably wouldn't have accepted Greg Williams as DC. Didn't he also want complete control? If McCarthy was hired, there's a very good chance that Joe Douglas wouldn't be our GM. Now it's possible that might not be a bad thing as Douglas has still to prove himself, and he has made a couple of puzzling/questionable decisions so far, but most people feel optimistic about Douglas.

I'll give you that I could be wrong. He could be better than Gase, but if what I've read/heard about him is true, then he would only be marginally better, and still isn't what we need imo.

#2428 NCJetsfan, Dec 2, 2019
  9. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

-Barber: What you want today?⁣

-Steve Belichick: Just fuck my shit completely up

[​IMG]

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Right, of course you won't respond because that's what you do. Isolate one part of a post and ignore the rest.

Sometimes there are reasonable explanations to explain why a team has gotten to a certain place without it being excuse. Do you expect us to be 6-6 or something? This team could've been in the playoff race if everything broke right and we stayed healthy.

We lost our top 2 QB's for four games, our top 2 ILB's for the season, our top two guards, our center, we've shuffled our tackles around like a merry go round and our top two corners. The only teams that overcome adversity like that have an elite franchise quarterback and usually have an existing infrastructure in place where they've been the coach for a long while.

I would like to see more creative ways to run the ball. But I have to believe there's a reason that there isn't much creativity. Gase would rather a gain of 0, 1 or 2 then a pitch that results in a loss of 5 because the tackles are garbage run blockers. We also run a zone blocking scheme. A scheme designed to get all of the blockers running one way and then the back chooses his hole. There's not a whole lot of discrepancy among plays there.

FJF and King Koopa like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I get your POV Vilma but the only way to know for sure what Gase is doing with each play call is to have his buddy JD the GM plug those holes you've mentioned.

When that happens, there will be no more excuses for losing

12. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

Adam Gase cannot consistently prepare his team. He is not a people person and has no personal understandings or relations with his players.

it’s one thing to lose in a competitive game. It’s another to come out flat consistently.

tannehil is another case in point for Gase to be fired. Tannehill has the athletic ability and football knowledge but never was able to flourish with Gase.. look at him now

GASE MUST GO

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

NYJetsO12, BacktoQueens and Ralebird like this.
  14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

No need to make shit up.

Just say Gase sucks.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

For reference. The 2007 Saints (7-9), 4-4 riding a 4 game win streak, lost to the 0-8 St. Louis Rams IN New Orleans. They lost 37-29 but they scored their last touchdown with 40 seconds left. The Saints didn't lead after the first 12 minutes of the game. The Rams finished 3-13.

The 1-7 Jaguars (5-11) beat the 7-1 Colts (12-4) in 2003.

The 2002 Saints (9-7) lost to the 1-13 Bengals in week 16. They missed the playoff by a half a game.

The 2004 3-10 Dolphins (4-12) beat the 12-1 Patriots (14-2).

The 2014 0-10 Raiders (3-13) beat the 7-3 Chiefs (9-7). The Chiefs had previously won 7 of 8. They missed the playoffs by a game. That same Raiders team was 2-12 when they beat the 8-7 Bills (9-7). They too missed the playoffs by a game.

Teams get caught with their pants down all the time. Tony Dungy, Bill Belichick, Andy Reid and Sean Payton all appear in the teams above. And we're going to act like we have the worst coach in the NFL because our shitty 4-7 team lost to the Bengals.

#2435 Jonathan_Vilma, Dec 2, 2019
    FJF, BradysTornACL and Acad23 like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

He's averaging 19.8 touches per game this year. He averages 24.0 for his career. He's not not being used. He's just not effective. There's a difference.

He's ranked 6th in the NFL in runningback receptions and 32nd overall. He's 12th in carries and averaging 3.2 yards per carry which is tied for the second worst mark of the top 50 qualifiers in attempts with Peyton Barber and above Ballage of the Dolphins.

Should we run him 4 more times a game so he can fold like a lawn chair when the first defender meets him at the LOS? Or maybe throw him a couple more two yard check downs where he makes a man miss with a slow hesitation and steps out of bounds right after the second defender gets there.

The offensive line is the worst in the league and he looks slow as shit after his 21 month hiatus. It was a bad signing. Whether you want to argue that the marriage was bad, or the player is damaged goods is up to you. The production is the production though. And it's no coincidence that few other teams were in on him after almost a two year off-season for him.

FJF likes this.
  17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I coulda used this info before I threw down $300 on the Jets...:confused:

FJF likes this.
  18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The Jets came out flat with Rex a lot too. Something I could never understand.

Sometimes you just come out flat. There’s no rhyme or reason for it.

FJF likes this.
  19. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Gase is average to slightly below average coaching a team that has bottom of the barrel talent at key positions/ areas that also has been ravaged by injuries worse than any other team in the league

We’re exactly where we should be right now if you take any bias out of it

Our o-line was flat out embarrassed by the Bengals yesterday...Mike McCarthy isn’t doing anything to help that

FJF, BradysTornACL and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I was worried about this. Gase did this with Drake all of a sudden in the middle of the 2018 Dolphins season. Up until that point Drake was very effective and then poof.

The Jets just can’t run between the tackles so this eliminates a certain portion of the playbook for Bell.

Bell is basically being used as a WR being asked to beat single coverage and make contested catches. Through this he has shown he can’t catch past 10 yards (though when he does make the catch he’s not getting chances for YAC because of the routes). So this eliminates another portion of the playbook.

Now, the million dollar question for me is: Why aren’t the Jets using Bell in under pass situations where he gets a chance to beat a 1 on 1 tackle for YAC? That’s his strong suit.

Why get too cute with this and go away from it?