Blessuan Our Hearts

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Nov 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

His yards per completion aren't spectacular, but he's completing over 70% of his passes. And they aren't dink and dunk. Compared to Fitz who was under 60% in 2015. As for the turnovers, the majority of Tannehill's this year have been fumbles. Which is kind of interesting, I don't know what it really means. Though one thing about Fitz's 2015: his passing numbers were particularly lucky; he threw a lot of balls that could have been intercepted but Marshall and Decker came down with them.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

In Mariota's 6 starts, Henry averaged 18.8 carries per game and 3.7 yards per carry. In Tannehill's 6 starts, he averaged 19.8 carries per game and 6.1 yards per carry. Looks to me like Tannehill is setting up Henry and not the other way around.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you've said in your first sentence here but will reiterate my belief that Douglas and Gase must be judged independently on their own performance without regard to the other. There is no need to link their tenure even one day into the future. It would be ridiculous (but as a Jets decision not unique) to remove Douglas before a full draft and Free Agent cycle which should have no bearing whatsoever on a decision to keep or remove Gase.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's really not the greatest situation in the world but we need to live with this strategy and operate under the assumption that Bless Austin can be a CB2. The rest of the team will have far more pressing needs and I think a mid-tier free agent corner will have to be the only secondary add.

I'd be nervous if I were the Jets regarding Poole coming back though. Good slot corners are becoming premium positions.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That’s not reality, Gms get paired with coaches, coaches get paired with qbs. Gase is going to get an opportunity to work with Douglas. No amount of hoping or protesting is changing that.

6. Ralebird

How much failure then is Gase permitted to inflict before his link to Douglas is severed?

7. Jonathan_Vilma

It's definitely another fair point. If you look at Derrick Henry's seasonal progressions though, he always plays better later in the year. He had 625 yards and 8 touchdowns in his final 5 games last year as well.

Tannehill is without a doubt an improvement over Mariota. I just think he is what he is. He'll always be the 15th best QB in the league. And in good situations he can get to the playoffs, as he did with Gase in 2016. He has his highest completion percentages and best winning percentage up until that point with Gase as well. He also had the benefit of a great running game that year.

Chicken or the egg?

8. FJF

I’d say Vegas would probably set the o/u of games gase coaches in his jet career at 32.5.

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Austin is on the team lol he's a shoe in

10. Ralebird

[​IMG]

11. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Austin could be a LEGIT starter. He needs to learn to tackle better besides throwing his shoulder in. Could be a good #2 CB imo.

mrjet80 likes this.
  12. FJF

It’s not so bad, 20 more to go if he is what you think he is. If your wrong, well that’s a good outcome too, right?

13. Ralebird

If I'm wrong, that's great. But if I'm right, as his resume indicates, why would anyone need to see twenty more bodies of evidence?

14. FJF

His record indicates he can coach a team to the playoffs and can oversee a high power offense. The personnel here and the failings of the last 5 years gives him a longer leash than you may hope for. Regardless of what you want, Johnson isn’t going to try him for the teams past mistakes. He got one year with Sam, now he’ll get a year with a new gm adding the players. If it looks like this next year he will be fired. If it’s better and Sam looks to be really taking off( this part I believe would happen with any coach) than he will get his 3rd year. If it’s 3 straight years with no playoffs he will be gone regardless of record in his 3rd year, if he makes the playoffs it will be an extension so his 4th year isn’t a lame duck year. It’s really not that foreign of a concept , he is on the same timeline every other coach starts with with a new team.

15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yeah poole may prove to be expensive but maybe not. there is a reason we got him cheap. Austin so far has looked every bit the starter at CB. he's a stud out there. I think it's worth letting him start next year since money is tight and he has given us every reason to start him with his play. If we can't afford poole i wouldn't mind a rookie, hairston, and maulet battling for the nickel spot

16. Jonathan_Vilma

I think Maulet would be a decent slot corner. He seems to be an ok tackler and moving side to side. He gets killed by being out jumped for balls, but he's maintained pretty good positioning.

17. Ralebird

His record indicates losing, an eighteen point loss in a single playoff appearance with an inherited team does little to boost his resume. I don't have any idea what "high power offense" he can oversee. Repeated failure leading to a longer leash is counterintuitive at best.

Your claim that I want the Johnsons to hold Gase responsible for losing records here in the past is remarkably inane but he should definitely be held accountable for every loss here this season regardless of who is on the field; that's what he signed up for.

I cannot believe anyone claiming to be a Jets fan is willing to give Gase 48 games to prove how bad he really is. This team is going downhill fast, just like Miami did with him at the helm. And he's not just starting out here, he's 3/4 of the way through a dismal season. How soon until he embarks on the antisocial path he did there, refusing to talk football with the owner and arguing with people all over the building?

18. FJF

Who said 48 games ? He has this season as a pass. That’s not me saying I want it, it’s what is happening. And the reasons for it are just as relevant as any argument to fire him. His record with the phins is irrelevant now as it’s the same record that got him hired here. It’s not getting him fired. So now he is being graded on what he’s done here and as bad as it looked at times he’s stil only 3/4 of the way through season 1 and it’s going to take more than this to fire a first year coach.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yeah i like him. he plays hard and gives it his all. and he's good in run support and a hard hitter. I like players like that.

20. Ralebird

Gase's history in Miami is the most relevant thing to his hiring. It was a mistake but that history is a permanent part of his body of work. His history here is the most relevant thing to his firing. Your timeline gives him 48 games with a bit of improvement and 32 without any. To paraphrase the words of Leon Hess, ''I'm not 80 years old; but I want results now."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.