Blessuan Our Hearts

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Nov 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We actually have no idea what they would do with lobster and fillets since we have never seen them with those ingredients. It’s chop meat and tilapia his whole career. Now we can continue to complain but the facts are this tandem of gase and Douglas are getting at minimum another season for the simple fact that they were paired together as a plan to win more games without the belief that the past mistakes would be righted in one season.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't know, Tannehill looks pretty good in Tennessee.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i'd keep maulet for depth and maybe even hairston. if we cna land a CB1 in free agency which would be nice we can pair him with austin to start. poole in the slot. and then for CB4-6 hairston, maulet, and a mid round rookie. TJ and roberts need to go though. and if we keep only 5 hairston probbaly won't make the cut.

4. FJF

31 year old qb having a career year on a playofff ready team in the age range where most qbs have their best years.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's doing the same thing he's done his entire career. Career average yards per game is 229, he's averaging 200 this year. 15 total touchdowns to 7 total turnovers with one of the leagues best running games and a good to great defense.

He's been solid and he's made a couple big time throws. He's playing game manager more than the highlights are showing you though. He reminds me a lot of 2015 Fitzpatrick this year.

FJF likes this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

True, the Dolphins under Gase (edit: outside his first season) were never a playoff ready team (wonder why that was...)
    He's been playing much better than 2015 Fitzpatrick. And the yards per game stat isn't right. You're dividing 1602 yards by 8 games, but he only started 6 of those games. One of the two he didn't start, he only played one snap and didn't throw the ball. The other one he took over for Mariota in the third quarter. So being generous, he played 6.5 games, and 1602 divided by 6.5 is 246. He's also throwing for 9.1 yards per attempt and has a passer rating of 113.9. On a Titans team that was struggling with Mariota at QB. He's playing at a very high level.

#66 HomeoftheJets, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that’s strange, I coulda sworn they made the playoffs

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Currently, the Jets have CBs on their roster (Blessuan Austin, Brian Poole, Arthur Maulet, Nate Hairston, Kyron Brown, Maurice Canady, and Darryl Roberts). With all the other needs the Jets have, I don't see their replacing 5 CBs this offseason. Now it could be that with better CBs, they may opt to keep only 5-6, but even then, I can't see the Jets adding even 3 new CBs to the roster. Like it or not, I think we'll be lucky to add 2 new CBs to the roster (one via FA and one via the draft).

Poole and Austin definitely need to be back, but I'd also bring back Maulet and Hairston. Kyron Brown is a rookie. If they think he has any potential, he should be back as well. Canady's in his 4th season. Has he contributed anything? Is he better than Brown? One of those two should probably be back as well. Roberts is pretty awful and should go. Trumaine Johnson is on IR. He has been beyond awful, and definitely should be gone.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

They made the playoffs in Gase's first year.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

Right, they did. With the previous regime's players and a negative point differential.

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

A good coach, like a good chef, should be able to consistently lift the ingredients to a higher level regardless of what they are. The tilapia has spoiled and the burgers are burnt. Anyone expecting to go from fast food to four stars in one year is being neither practical nor realistic but expecting progress is not.

I sincerely hope that your claim that Gase is getting another season to prove his ineptitude is overblown; nothing in his resume shows he is prepared for his position. I see no reason to view him and Douglas as an inseparable tandem.

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Bring back Maulet and Poole. Grab 2-3 new corners.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

True. I actually had it at 267 (1602/6) and then backspaced because I didn't feel like looking into his game log so I took the yards per game column for what it was.

His yards per completion is only slightly higher than where Fitzpatricks were in 2015. His touchdown to turnover rate will likely finish about the same as Fitzpatricks was.

I just don't think Tannehill is a good barometer for our own coach. Gase wasn't the only one that moved on from Tannehill as the franchise decided he wasn't the guy either, and he fell into a nice situation that's just been dying for a quarterback to be better than one read Mariota.

FJF and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I don't think that's what FJF was saying.

It isn't pleasant, but sometimes, one does just have to accept the inevitable, suck it up, and write the season off or "eat the season." Even though Gase's job performance has largely been awful and unacceptable, firing him in the middle of a season (his first with the team) where the starting QB had mono, the veteran backup immediately went down with a season-ending injury, little talent and a ton of injuries, and an untalented OL playing in a new offense and blocking scheme and had very little practice time together in TC or preseason would be nuts. Coaching hirings and firings don't happen in a vacuum. The rest of the football world sees what happens. While an interim HC might be able to get them better prepared to play, might have better game plans, might be more flexible and able to make adjustments, and might be able to get the team to be more focused and disciplined, there are no guarantees.

Let's say that Gase was fired and Greg Williams was made the interim HC. I believe that he would have had the team focused and ready to play, but his having to focus on the offense might mean that the D didn't play as well as it has. Who is going to run the offense? Dowell Loggains? He's been worse than Gase everywhere he's been. No one would have wanted him running the offense. Frank Pollack? Based on the way the OL has played most of the year, I wouldn't want him anywhere near running the offense even if he does have previous experience as an OC (He doesn't.). Jim Bob Cooter has been an OC before, and would have been the best choice based on experience and competence, but is this a system with which he's really comfortable? Would he have wanted to make major changes in season? Would Williams and he mesh, be able to get on the same page?

Even if all that had worked out, and the Jets played better, when it came time to began the search for a new HC this offseason, no HC worth a darn would be willing to even be interviewed, much less accept the job unless he got some kind of major guarantees written into his contract, and then if he sucked, we'd be locked into him. One simply cannot have a knee jerk reaction and fire the HC every time the team struggles for a game or two. You can't hold a new HC accountable for what his predecessors did or didn't do in terms of the team's play, and that's what you and many others on this board are doing.

When there is little talent at key positions (LT, Edge, #1 CB, and #1 WR) there is only so much any coordinator or HC can do. When the OL is as bad as ours and perhaps playing in a blocking scheme that doesn't fit what abilities they do have, there is only so much that any coordinator or HC can do.

Just because Gase wasn't fired on the spot, doesn't mean that his poor performance is acceptable (well to the dumbass Johnsons it probably is, but hopefully, to Douglas it isn't), and it isn't to the fan base. At the end of the season a proper evaluation should be made on Gase. If he is retained, then it should be with the clear memory of his major failings this season, and he should be told in no uncertain terms the areas in which major improvements in his and the team's performance are expected to be made next season, and if not, it will be his last as Jets' HC. He should be given the opportunity to learn, grow, and make the necessary changes/corrections during the offseason.

15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Their run game has been great though too. Henry has been awesome all year, that sets up playaction

FJF likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Not Austin?

Poole, Canady and Maulet are the FA CBs. So you're saying re-sign Poole and Maulet, but not Canady. Since you want to add 2-3 new CBs, are you saying keep Austin, but not Hairston, Roberts and Brown? If so, we'd be cutting the number of CBs from 7 to 5. Is that what you intend?

I don't think it's realistic that the Jets will add 3 new CBs. If we didn't have to rebuild the OL, need an edge rusher and a WR or two we could do it, but as things are, I can't see adding 3 new CBs.

#76 NCJetsfan, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  17. FJF

You can hope and at some point gase and Douglas May separate from each other but the plan from the only opinion that matters is to see these 2 work together longer than the 3 mostly in impactful months of the year they have already. That’s the reality and it’s been the reality the moment Mac was fired and Douglas hired. You can take solace in the fact that gase won’t outlast Douglas if that makes you feel any better. Douglas’ 6 year contract guarantees that. But for now it’s probably best that you accept the plan or continue, along with others , to beat the dead horse that is “fire gase”

18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I think he referred to CB's who are FA's after the season. I agree that 3 CB's is a lot to add for a team that needs a major OL overhaul. Also, Austin could very well be a starter for a while if he stays healthy. I expect at most a FA CB signing and one selected in the middle rounds of the draft.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think we really only need 2. 1 mid round pick (maybe 3rd or 4th) and 1 free agent. resign poole and we have bless. then keep maulet and maybe hairston for depth if we want 6 CBs. that means FA and bless are starters. poole in the slot. rookie/maulet/hairston battle for CB4,5,6 spots

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

We're Jets fans, we know all about writing off seasons but I've never felt anyone should write off a season until it's over. I always will expect a complete effort and peak performance at every game from both the players and the coaching staff. If we start to write off seasons before all the games are played, where's the incentive to perform, where's the incentive to improve? Let's not build in excuses before the fact.

Like many here, I did not like the Gase hire but took the wait and see stance. I certainly did not expect a midseason change but found that I did not have a problem if it had occurred after seeing just how ill prepared the team has often been and the apparent lack of concern and understanding Gase has shown by his remarks and actions. What I found most disturbing however was the vote of confidence given Gase even as the failures continue. What kind of message is that to send? That has nothing to do with burdening Gase with the failures of his predecessors; he's responsible only for his own.

We will continue to disagree on replacing a coach in the short term; you in the belief that doing so would poison the well of potential replacements and I in the belief that NFL head coach slots are outweighed by the pool of potential applicants. The Jets have hired a coach with a resume of failure; it's time they hired one with a history of success.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.