"Sam Darnold burst into Adam Gase’s office..." MUST READ

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

This year was not going to be about going to the playoffs. It was about preparing Sam Darnold for the future and to make sure what we have in him is good.

LF911SC likes this.
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Didn't you get the memo?

We're past that sentiment...at least until we lose to the Bengals... :confused:

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I thought that's what last year was about.

Longsuffering88 likes this.
  4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

He apparently has good "burst"..... But does he have good "bend"?

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Perfection can't be hurried...:confused:

6. harts24

harts24 Member

LOL BURST into his office! Did he break the door down? a little over dramatic no

7. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I know. I'm not talking about the playoffs. I'm talking about long term development and hopefully being on the right track. I'm HIGHLY skeptical at best, and mostly just extremely doubtful. But if they play competitively against the Raiders, I might be less frustrated with the decision to commit to Gase for a whole other season.

8. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

People may dismiss it as a puff piece but Darnold looks like a different player now.

9. DefenseWinsChampionships

Na. He looks as the player he was during our final 4 or 5 games last year (where he led the NFL in QB Rating during his stretch-run).

What's scary is that, he's looking even better currently which is a sign of something special within the makings and he's still only what 21-22 years of age he's a baby.

10. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

The reads like fan fiction. I hope to God not a single bit of it is true. This sound like a scene from Friday night lights before they go out and beat state.

11. Yorkshire Jet

Yorkshire Jet Member

Hmm, this might be a quarter or 3 quarter true perhaps. Raises as many questions as it answers. Doesn't help that this meeting came before one of the most embarassing defeats in our history.

But i will stick on the rose tinted glasses seen as we are winning currently and read this as we are now going to build a new dynasty. How early can you book flights for the last 2 weeks in Jan 2021 for our home AFC championship game???

12. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Because the QB has to be in a system long enough for him to get a handle on what's being done, to master the fundamentals enough to decide what he's comfortable with and not comfortable with.

Just as the HC needs the time to learn about his QB. Especially one with only a partial season of tape. He needs time given the QB has no extensive history.

This isn't an indictment on either person

NYJFOREVER, FJF and dawinner127 like this.
  13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Sam also seems like the type of kid to agree or go along with anything. I could totally see him go into any meetings with Gase and just say yeah that looks great. Oh wow that looks perfect. Never pushing back against anything he doesn't like because Gase is his coach.

14. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

True, and lets also remember Sam totally believes in Gase and his offense. Was the one who said over and over again when he gets it down its going to be next to impossible to stop,

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why would any coach, much less a quarterback whispering offensive guru, need somebody barging into his office to tell him his pocket was created only of fence posts with no rails?

J'accuse!

ColoradoContrails and Acad23 like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Which is why you need to be able to rely on your HC to be smart enough to know this, and to realize that his young, inexperienced QB might not be able to grasp all the "genius" of your HC's playbook.

Obviously Sam was going to try his best to do what was asked of him. But he didn't have anything to compare things to, so how could he say Gase's ideas were shitty? But there was clearly a disconnect between what Gase was trying to do, and what was actually possible, and that should've been abundantly clear to Gase but somehow wasn't.

I hope Gase has finally woken up and is now taking into account the ACTUAL ability and experience of the team he has, and not designing plays and schemes for the team he wishes he had.

Ralebird likes this.
  17. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

kind of an odd time to bump this thread, no?

FJF likes this.
  18. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

To all

Read the above
    Read the above
    Read the above
    Read the above
    Read the above
    Read the above
    Read the above
    Read the above
    Read the above

this post is truth and epic and needs to be pinned to the front page until super bowl. Not kidding.

Last year was “all about Sam”
    The year before that was all about something else

And so on and so forth
    It’s NEVER about winning.

This is why many fans are so enraged

there is always a bullshit excuse from the Johnsons

19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. Hopefully Sam growing up and maturing woke Gase up and the O keeps rolling.

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

When a coach dumbs down the playbook there's sometimes initial success, as the plays being called 'fit' the current capability of the squad.

But it won't be long before the scaled back playbook starts to become predictable and easier to defend.

That's why I like when we see new plays being added, like the opening play pass to Bell, or the dbl flea flicker to Anderson. As long as Gase continues to add plays, albeit 'sam friendly' plays, hopefully we won't become easy to defend and the winning will continue!