2020 OL Depth?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by joelip, Nov 26, 2019.

1. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Greetings fellow Jets fans! Longtime fan (since Dick Wood days!) but rare poster here. Anyway, is it just me or is there generally a dearth of OL talent in the NFL these days? Also, even if a team has adequate starters, don't they get screwed when one or more starters go down almost inevitably?

With this in mind and with the idea that protecting Sam has to be the priority, can we go all in on rebuilding the OL for 2020? I'm thinking that we start off by making Scherff an offer he can't refuse. Then we resigns all our halfway decent o-linemen with the idea that they can be depth if they can't win starting jobs. These would include Beachum, Shell, Lewis, and yes Compton (who seems to be a halfway decent reserve). This would also involve cutting Winters, who is too injury prone/terrible. Next, we use our first two draft picks on a franchise left tackle and center and a later pick on a guard.

This leaves us with a line of:

LT Beachum/LT of the future
    LG Lewis/LT of the future/Rookie guard
    C Center of the future/Harrison
    RG Scherff/Compton/Rookie guard
    RT LT of the future/Shell/Edoga

This I think would leave us with decent starters and decent depth when the inevitable injuries hit. What do people think?

nycarl and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'd like to see us sign Scherff and Jack Conklin from Tennessee. Retain Beachum to play left tackle for a final year, retain Harrison but still draft a second round center.

The open guard spot can be filled by a mid-tier free agent to compete with a rookie mid round and Edoga. Or kick Harrison over to guard maybe?

LT Beachum/Shell
    LG Scherff/Edoga
    C Rookie/Harrison
    RG Harrison/Mid tier free agent/middle rounder
    RT Conklin/Shell

I think we'll fall out of contention for Wirfs and Thomas and the offensive line free agency market is a lot more lucrative than the wide receiver market.

1 - CeeDee Lamb
    2 - Best center/guard - Kindley, Biadasz, Humphrey
    3 - corner/edge
    3 - guard
    4 - RB/receiver/edge/corner

And so on. I could also see retaining Shell and signing Castonzo to be our left tackle for the next four years. That will require big money though.

I'm not completely opposed to just going OL/OL in the first two rounds either. A game breaking receiver like I think Lamb will be in the NFL will do absolute wonders for an offense like this.

#2 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Hi! I must say, I was somewhat confused about what transpired this past Sunday! The OL protected Sam for a minimum of 3 seconds on several occasions! What a concept! I for one hope that this trend continues! BUT YES, IT'S A NEED, KIND OF LIKE OXYGEN OR HAVING TO PEE!

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Realistically we need 5 new starters AND to bring back Lewis, Compton and Harrison for depth. Beachum is probably the only starter that should be considered to return, but I could see his play start to slip next year as he ages.

This will be quite the project for Douglas after years of neglect by Dumbcagnan. Highly unlikely it will be completely fixed in one off-season.

tomdeb and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Sign this beast?

Footballgod214 likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Since we don't really have anymore rookies or youth we're testing out at tackle with Edoga on the shelf, it can't hurt. He's been going back and forth as to whether he wants to play anymore though over the past 9 months.

I'm usually not a big fan of the Patriots trash though I can't imagine he's much worse than this dude Connor McDermott right? Ironically another piece of Patriots trash.

NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  7. FJF

Yea, I don’t know much about him but we seem to be scraping bottom for bodies now so i figures he may be a viable option.

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Bring back Lewis, Compton, Harrison, and Beachum if he doesn't ask for too much money. Sign 2 FA OL, preferably an OT and a OG. Then draft an OT and C. Anything beyond that is gravy. This OL will take least 2 years to rebuild.

LT: Beachum/Rookie
    LG: FA/Lewis
    C: Rookie/Harrison
    RG: Lewis/Edoga
    RT: FA/Compton/Edoga

#8 CotcheryFan, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. FJF

Skura our for the year for Baltimore. This may make them less likely to bring him back. With the Douglas connection, he could be a real possibility

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  10. DefenseWinsChampionships

Draft a Franchise LT come round 1.

Draft a road grading Center come round two.

Sign a big name O-Lineman come free agency.

So, yes. I want to rebuild our line overnight however...

If either WR's in CeeDee Lamb out of Oklahoma or Jerry Jeudy out of Alabama are available; we can not pass on either of them. Trade back up into the 1st round for an LT but Lamb or Jeudy can not be padded up on...

Give Sam Darnold one of those true #1 WR's with Robbie Anderson as a #2? Instantly a dynamic 1-2 duo and Crowder out of the slot creates for an exciting WR trio. Bell as another elite pass catching option coming out of the backfield and with two pass catching TE's in Herndon/Griffin and Sam Darnold is fully loaded with game breakers at literally every skilled player position.

I want a Franchise LT and road grading Center as bad as anyone but Jeudy and Lamb can not be passed up on.

11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Nice post. Winters and Qvale should NOT be resigned for sure. The jets have 3 picks in the first four rounds. The OL requires the most players of any position. My hope is that the jets use at least TWO of those first four picks on the OL, and clearly in round 1. As other have correctly posted, our former GM had 5 drafts and totally ignored the OL every draft day. This only shows how little the Johnson Bros. know about football--I can't believe the owners let that go on for so long-- Didn't they ever speak with anyone else in the organization other than the former GM about their team?

12. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I’m actually a big fan of Beachum. I would bring him back even as a 2 year starter. Can’t predict a franchise LT is still there in draft. Leatherwood could be a good pick to play LG and slide to LT if needed.

FJF likes this.
  13. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Ideal for me would be
    1. Sign Scherff. Think we need to spend money here when Sam is young. It’s the right move.
    2. Re-sign Beachum. He’s solid.
    3. Draft Alex Leatherwood. He’s a tweener but can play both LG and LT. Would start at guard for us.
    Draft a center in round 2 or Giants pick

Beachum-Leatherwood-Rookie-Scherff-Edoga

is a solid line.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Old, Ineffective and injury prone.....
    He'll fit right in.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Does Compton play RT? I thought he was only an OG.

16. NCJetsfan

The Jets have 5 picks in the first 4 rounds, not 3.

tomdeb and PabloJa like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

He's been a starter for all 9 years in his NFL Career (4 Raiders, 4 Cardinals, 1 Broncos). If we have the cap space and he's in shape, I'd like to sign him, but don't want another repeat of Kalil.

That said, I imagine that he wants to play for a contender. I don't think he'll have to go through waivers as a vested veteran.

18. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Would absolutely look at Veldheer but as much as we hate N.E. they do know what they're doing. If they're just letting him go there is probably some kind of red flag here

But we've got to be on top of everything here regarding offensive line.

19. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

The Pat's have made some weird decisions this year esp in regards to the WR position.

-Trade D. Thomas to the Jets
    -Sign A Brown
    -Release J. Gordon

These moves are especially weird because they knew, D.T was moving well in preseason. They knew A.B had issues coming from the Raiders. J. Gordon was healthy enough to play, so why get rid of him when you have Edelman as your main target?
    I get it Brady is great, and B.B is legendary but the Pat's are making some head scratching moves. Is it to force TB6 to retire lol?

20. FJF

All players go through waivers at this point in the season. I’d grab him just for depth at this point