New York Jets went to see Colin Kaepernick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Nov 17, 2019.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yeah, it was a simple dick waiving contest.

The NFL waived theirs by scheduling it on their terms on a Saturday and telling him on a Tuesday. Kaepernick had to accept it, if he declined or asked for more time he would be skewered.
    so Kaepernick waived his dick back. "yeah, ok, I'll do it, but not on your terms."

Its a petty fight and some people want to take the side of the multi-billion organization. thats fine but I'll take the side of the 1 man with an opinion myself who was simply fighting back.

azhar80 and stinkyB like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I can agree with that. I just don't truly think he's too interested in rejoining the league in all honesty and obviously I don't think the league is too interested in him.

It'll be interesting to see how many more years this goes on for.

FJF likes this.
  3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The NFL was trying to look fair by offering a tryout. They got publicity for it and then made it a hardship for the details to be worked out. Sounds like a publicity stunt. Even you pointed out they tryout was disingenuous. I didn't say that you did.

Blame isn't the point. When I get a legal contract I give it to my lawyer. If they don't like it they make changes and both sides negotiate language. If anyone asks me to give up rights that aren't germane to the contract I won't sign it. That's normal business not a one sided dictating of terms.

Why would the NFL be afraid of a law suit? They are a multi-billion dollar corporation. A lawsuit without merit is no threat to the NFL at all. You characterized the NFL tryout as disingenuous. Why would anyone give up rights not germane to the tryout when even a Kap hater like you recognizes that the NFL was disingenuous about getting him a fair tryout?

stinkyB likes this.
  4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

There are QB's in the NFL that are in their 40's. Tampa Bay with decent QB play this year would be in the playoff hunt. Winston has been an absolute turnover machine. If they draft a QB next year he's likely two years away from being good enough to get the talent on that team to the playoffs. They also have a win now HC. That's why.

azhar80 likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

But I don't understand why the NFL should be at the mercy of his side at all when they offered him an open tryout that they've never done for any other player in the world? Why should there be many details to be worked out? This is the offer, this is how we're doing it. If you don't like it, then we won't do it and when we do it we're going to protect ourselves at all costs.

The NFL isn't afraid of lawsuits. They're afraid of bad publicity that hurts their bottom line. Another collusion grievance creates new headlines that they're sick of. It's obvious they want the whole thing to go away right? Which I believe they thought it would. And then Kaepernick's camp releases statements in the middle of the season saying no one's calling me, I've never seen anything like it, etc.

I think the tryout was a test to show that Kaepernick cannot leave all of the bullshit behind and make everything about playing football. And I think he failed. Because look at what the entire football is ultimately talking about and he has public supporters saying c'mon man why didn't you just try to make this about playing?

FJF and twown like this.
  6. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

because the league didnt make it all about playing the second they tried to sneak that waiver past him

if the teams were serious about giving kap a shot, then that collusion language wouldnt be necessary. but they werent, and they had to include that language in the waiver because they knew how obvious their collusion would look if he killed the workout

no sane person in kap's position would have signed that document

Biggs likes this.
  7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The NFL wanted to shut up Kap. They failed to get that in their financial settlement and tried to get it in a legal document during a "disingenuous" (Your words) tryout where it was clear no job would be offered. The tryout was all about tying up their failure in the settlement to shut Kap up about the continuing NFL black ball. It failed, Kap was able to paint the NFL as in collusion after getting a settlement from them on collusion.

8. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Really really hope this piece of shit never sets foot on an NFL playing field ever again

Section 336 likes this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Put Kaepernick behind our 0-line and see if he's "NFL ready".

Talk about injustice... :confused:

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

I think a lot less people feel this way then you think. The NFL was sued once for collusion. What makes you think that any properly run organization would set themselves up to allow that lawsuit to resurface because of a tryout they arranged?

Kaepernick puffed his chest out and kept his name in the news. That's good for him furthering his agenda and his social justice campaigns.

But his Nike Ad campaign said 'Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.' He undermines everything he stands for if he rejoins a franchise in the NFL.

The NFL was disingenuous because they set the trap. But Kaepernick didn't side step it. He jumped right into it and made what was touted as a football workout into a circus spectacle. And he wanted the media there to ask all about it.

But we don't have to agree. That's what makes forums fun.

I also believe that the 32 billionaire NFL owners are smart enough on their own to realize that signing him is bad for business without a directive or it being spoken about. Because well, him kneeling on national TV for 16/17 weeks in a row, was bad for business. Regardless if you believe in his stance and whether it was appropriate or not.

azhar80 likes this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You still have not supported your contention that Kaepernick has profited from the turmoil surrounding kneeling.

Jay-Z? Seriously? Jay-Z is not relevant to that profitability. I find Jay-Z not relevant to anything. Your mileage may vary.

Michael Wilbon's opinion is no more valid than mine or yours.

In what business agreement does one side create all the rules and demand full concurrence? Why does the NFL believe it should not be subject to a normal negotiation process? Why was there such a short timeline on this workout? What were the necessities and the consequences? Why did the NFL want to do this behind closed doors rather than out in the open for all to see?

I saw no circus; I saw a guy demonstrate his abilities in front of anyone who cared to attend or record. That tells me it was all about football and the drama you see is a product of your own imagination.

azhar80 likes this.
  12. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

:D:D:D What fight? The NFL does not need him, as simple as that. As a matter of fact, the NFL is better off without him. Kaepernick once again made a total ass out of himself, which was confirmed by pretty much every pundit who used to defend him. Now he's 100% done. Nike might offer him another endorsement and then he will fade into obscurity. The NFL, on the other hand....

dawinner127, FJF and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

You just keep taking everything out of context and picking and choosing what you decide to respond to. Not to mention you haven't read deep enough into the thread or else you'd find the answers.

Kaepernick signed a multimillion dollar endorsement deal with Nike in 2018. Two years after his last game. The deal is reportedly in the range of what was estimated that stars get paid. Find me a former non Pro Bowl or All Star player in their respective sport that signed an endorsement deal like that.

There is no business agreement. The NFL does not want Colin Kaepernick. Kaepernick claims that he still wants to play in the league. He needs the NFL to keep his name alive. Without the NFL he has no billion dollar organization to wage war on as if he's just an average Joe like you or me "fighting back." The NFL offered him a tryout. It is their organization. Why would he have any say in any of the terms? Why would they allow themselves to re-open a collusion grievance when no team signs him because they don't want that circus hanging over their franchise for a bottom half of the league QB?

You can think whatever you want, and I hope you do. The point in bringing up Wilbon and Jay-Z is that people who have LONG supported Kaepernick, just like you, felt that he acted ridiculous and did himself no favors and proved he no longer wants to play professional football.

The NFL gave him every opportunity to simply make this about football. But he had to fight back! No way NFL! You can't choose the rules even though I want to be apart of it again and you want nothing to do with me!

C'mon bro. Open your eyes.

FJF likes this.
  14. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Sure there are, but none of them are the darling of the religious community. Tebow was. And because Tebow was, every single place he went (including the Jets) he brought a media circus with him and every time the coach gave a press conference, one of the first questions was "Is Tebow going to get a chance to play more?" No coach wanted to deal with that every day, so they blackballed him. The guy won a playoff game, was uber-popular, widely regarded as a clubhouse leader, and frankly is far and away better than persons like Luke Falk. The reason he's not in the league anymore is because coaches didn't want to deal with his popularity. And the reason he was so popular is because of his association with the religious community. It's the exact opposite of what happened to Kaepernick. No team will touch Kaepernick because he's despised by an incredibly large portion of the NFL fanbase and because he will bring a media circus. No team will touch Tebow because he's beloved by an incredibly large portion of the NFL fanbase and because he will bring a media circus.

Of course, nobody in the sports media cares about Tebow being blackballed by the league because they are all liberal and they aren't very sympathetic to organized religion ... while everyone in the sports media cares about Kaepernick being blackballed by the league because they are all liberal and hate the police and the military.

15. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

If the NFL was so genuine in their workout/tryout why did they hold on a Saturday in the middle of November?

Most of these workouts are held on Tuesday, not a day before game day where most teams are busy putting finishing touches on their game plan. Also barring injury most teams have their personnel set. So this fake workout the NFL set up was nothing more than a FAILED publicity stunt, and Colin and his team called out the NFL, Goodell, and Owners at the end of their session.

Colin can proceed with a Civil suit vs the NFL, dont think for a second NFL is not aware of that. Colin knows his place, wealth will not be coming from playing QB in an NFL team. A book deal/movie deal is not impossible in this situation. Nike had run a very successful ad with Colin before and can do so again in the near future.

Back to the Jets... We need a real backup Qb, Colin or not. We need a Qb who can move the chains, make enough plays to help us win games. At this point in time we dont have that player on the roster.

All Gas No Shake and Mogriffjr like this.
  16. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Tebow and Kaepernick are two sides of the same coin.

You're allowed to be a distraction if you're THE BEST.
    If you're a distraction and you're not the best, you're JUST a distraction.

Would there ever be such a thread if these both guys were DTs instead of QBs?

17. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i read the op.... i have to wonder just how much of the 10 pages of posts are ignorant to borderline racist. i will jsut have to imagine because it will make me sick to my stomach reading it all.

can he play football? can he help the team?

the rest of it is just people being uncomfortable rooting for people they think they dont like even though they dont even know them.

citing vick as if he is the only guy to ever do something wrong and then saying that kaepernick is racist... ok buddy.

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Righteous indignation!...without even reading the thread.

You must be really "woke"...:confused:

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to believe you don't understand the meaning of "out of context." Every point I raise is to elicit substantiation from you for empty claims you have already made. Once again you tell us about a Nike contract that is both "reportedly" and "estimated." That means there are no figures and no substance; you have absolutely no idea how much the contract pays him. You also have no way of judging if this phantom amount is more or less than he would get if he was still an active player. What about salary that would have been earned by him in the NFL during the past few years? Do we simply say he would not have worked? Yet you stand by your claim that he has profited from his situation. C'mon, bro. Open your eyes!

There certainly was a business agreement on the table between the NFL and Kaepernick for the proposed sham workout the NFL attempted to cram down his throat. The difference was the NFL adopted the "my way or the highway" attitude which did not allow for a finalized agreement; Kaepernick would not agree to the NFL's nonnegotiable demands. That may prove one point you have made above - "The NFL does not want Colin Kaepernick" despite their efforts to make it appear differently.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

He's not an active player. For whatever reason. And he has a lucrative salary. Go look up the terms of the deal. Figures aren't released but I highly doubt they would build million dollar ad campaigns around him for small money. And allow him to dictate that they remove the colonies flag from the Betsy Ross shoe. Or release his jersey (which sold out by the way). I've substantiated it. Just because the exact dollar figures aren't released doesn't mean that he's not taking in a healthy salary for a player that's never made a Pro Bowl, won't be a Hall of Famer and doesn't work as an analyst.

Sorry you feel so bad to Kaepernick and his millions. I don't.

There was no business agreement. Whether legal or illegal (in the eyes of the collusion grievance) the NFL has made it abundantly clear they do not want him in the league. He is the one that supposedly wants to be back in the league. Why would they want to honor any terms for someone they want nothing to do with? The workout was a courtesy lobbied by their billionaire social justice advisor. And Kaepernick spit on it.