What Gase Has Done Well

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Nah, he doesn’t need to. The team is 3-7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Being optimistic about qualifying for a playoff spot the following season. Is it only Jet fans who continuously resort to this absurd false sense of hope?

Jets69 likes this.
  3. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

The roll outs yesterday instead of having Sam stand back after three steps and getting destroyed or throwing off his back foot into traffic. Also going with Powell instead of Bell for a lot of the touhes. That OL isnt going to open a ton of holes

Now. I dont how much of that is Sam taking control and pragmatism. But it was nice to see after NE and Jacksonville.

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

As indicated in your avatar.

5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Could this from Newsday on Monday have something to do with it? Am I being too fussy or demanding or is the paragraph in green somewhat telling? Shouldn't the coach be doing the reaching out? Is this the same attitude that allows the coach to ignore those in the training room? Is Gase above talking to his own players? We see Belichick every week with an entire unit gathered on the sidelines during a game for discussions. Did the players go to him for that? Are the Jets too good for that?

SportsFootballJets

Sam Darnold's numbers have improved since having talk with Jets coach Adam Gase

By Al Iannazzone
    The conversation came after Sam Darnold had thrown three interceptions against the Jaguars and the video board inside their stadium replayed all of them while blaring the theme from Ghostbusters.

It was a low point for Darnold for sure. But he wanted to climb up out of it. He has and it can be traced back to discussion he had with Adam Gase about his offense.

Darnold told Gase certain things that he thought worked well and some things he didn’t. Since that talk, the Jets’ offense has shown a stark improvement, as has Darnold.

“It was just about continuing to gain trust in each other and confidence in each other,” Darnold said during a conference call Monday. “It was important for that conversation to happen. We just talked about things that I liked and things that I didn’t like, things that he liked and he didn’t like.“It was really good. It was really good to continue those conversations and we have been the last few weeks.”

Darnold led the Jets (3-7) to a 34-17 victory over the Redskins on Sunday with the first four-touchdown game of his career. He spread the ball around and completed those touchdown passes to four different receivers.

In the last two games — both Jets wins — Darnold has thrown five touchdown passes and one interception. Overall, since the big pow-wow with Gase, Darnold is 65-for-99 for 783 yards with six touchdowns, two interceptions and a passer rating of 101.5.

In the two games before his talk with Gase, which included the night Darnold declared “I’m seeing ghosts” against New England, he threw two touchdown passes, seven interceptions and had a passer rating of 36.7.

“It was really important for me at the time because I felt like I had a lot better understanding of the offense at that point during the season,” Darnold said. “I felt confident enough. I felt like I knew the offense well enough to have a really good conversation about it.”

Gase, the Jets’ play-caller, welcomed the conversation with the 22-year-old Darnold.

“It was really just him coming in and telling me what he liked and how he saw how he wanted to play and what fit him best,” Gase said. “That’s what you want. You want your quarterback to be able to do that.

“Sometimes when you’re a younger player you’re trying to feel everything out, trying to see how everything works and operates. It was probably the right time.”

It’s fair to note that as well as Darnold has played these last three weeks, it hasn’t been against the Patriots, Saints or 49ers’ defense. It’s been against three of the NFL’s worst defenses — the Dolphins, Giants and Redskins.

But Darnold or the Jets shouldn’t be penalized for finding their rhythm against some forgiving units. It’s obvious the offense, and Darnold, are works in progress. They appear to be getting better with time, experience, and because of the comfort level of the quarterback.

“He knew what he was getting really good at,” Gase said. “He knew what was causing him to play slower. He was able to exactly tell me what he was looking for and how I could help him. That’s the direction that we went.”

Darnold has developed good chemistry with slot receiver Jamison Crowder and tight end Ryan Griffin.

Crowder leads the Jets in targets (73), receptions (53) and yards (562) and has caught touchdowns passes in three straight games. Griffin has a team-high four touchdown catches. They both got in the end zone in Sunday’s win.

Some of the plays are by design or come from Darnold or the receivers improvising. But running more plays that Darnold believes have the best chance of working has made a big difference.

“That was zero issue for me,” Gase said. “It makes it easier because now you’re not guessing, you’re not wondering what he likes, what he doesn’t like. The communication factor there, that makes life easier if you’re the play caller.”
    Edited to add:

Just realized another version of this was posted yesterday by @Falco21 but I am generally loathe to open anything with MUST READ in the title; too many disappointments from too many Nigerian princes. Falco's version strengthens my feelings that this meeting was something the coach should have called - every single day if necessary.

#45 Ralebird, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Am I not doing this right? ;)

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I mean we are 3-4 with darnold. considering the amount of injuries we have and the poor o-line that's not awful. it's almost 500. we also lost opening week with sam sick but 1 point due to a bad kicker and mosely getting hurt.
    we also have scored a TD on our opening drive 4 games in a row. that's the longest streak in the NFL
    Sam had a career high 4 TDs last week.

azhar80, NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Remember when we beat the Cowboys and what stood out in that game?

Do people remember how fired up our team was? Maybe it was because we had Sam back but there was an added fire in the way we played.

Why has that only been for one game? Heck when we played NE the next week it looked like we were going to a funeral. We need something to light a consistent fire under this team.

If Gase keeps the Ravens game from being another national embarrassment like our first two prime time games - and we are competitive for every game the rest of the year - I will get off his nuts.

azhar80 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I just read an article that indicates that maybe Gase isn't as bad a HC/offensive mind as we thought.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/sam-da...ts-have-found-opening-drive-success/311907806

Sam Darnold, Adam Gase explain how Jets have found opening-drive success
    Jets offense has scored on first drive in four-straight games
    By Nick Wojton | Nov 18 | 4:38PM

The Jets started their blowout loss to the Patriots in Week 7 with an interception two plays into the game. Since then, the Jets have opened their last four games in a row with touchdowns.

So what's different? Opening drives by NFL teams are often scripted. The ensuing one might be as well.

But quarterback Sam Darnold isn't crediting a script for the Jets' early-game successes. Instead, it's all about building the right beat coming out of the gate for Gang Green's offense, the quarterback said on Monday.

"For us I think it's about being able to find a rhythm there on the first drive," Darnold said. "Obviously, game planning those things is a big part in it, but also, even when we find our rhythm in other drives when it's not scripted, whenever we do go down the field and score, I feel like our whole offense, whenever we get those... whenever we get that first, first down and then we get another one, I feel like our offense just kind of gets in a rhythm there and I feel like we get a lot more comfortable and we can kind of get a flow going."

But that's not an attack on the so-called "script" created by head coach Adam Gase heading into games. In fact, Gase backed Darnold's sentiments and said even if there's a plan, things often change. During the Jets' 34-17 win against the Redskins, factors caused the coach to quickly start re-writing the plan on the fly after about three plays, he recalled.

Instead of complimenting the early gameplan, Gase gave the credit to his players on the field and their execution.

"What we're calling is almost irrelevant. It's just kind of guys dong the right thing," Gase said. "Guys are doing a better job as far as understanding how each other play.I think that's just time on task, I think they've done a good job of transferring practice stuff to games."

The Jets will hope to extend their stretch of opening drive scores to five when they host the Oakland Raiders in Week 12. New York will also hope they'll find a way to continue scoring later on in individual games as well. Despite their four-game streak of scoring right away, the Jets have split those games with a 2-2 record, with both wins coming in their past two outings.

That sounds like to me that Gase is making some adjustments, being more flexible, going with things the team does well, and is crediting the players rather than himself. Time will tell, but this at least gives me a little hope for next year and beyond.

azhar80 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  10. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Asking a bit much? The Ravens have embarrassed everybody lately, including the Pats in prime time. I'm not worried about how he does
    against the Ravens, this Oakland game will be more telling.

Ron

azhar80 likes this.
  11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Number 5 is what stood out for me. I see Gase is adapting and this is something Bowles never did. So that is very encouraging. I hope he continues to improve this team. Really looking forward to Douglas and Gase first draft.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Be really curious how Gase and Douglas address this first draft. I hope they try and get more playmakers on both sides of the ball. But especially offense. When Ryan Griffin is your red zone threat you need help. Griffin has been great so far but we need more.

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

A couple of wins against crummy teams has ruindraft position but bolstered some hope in the Gase hire.

That's all well and good...get some wins against decent teams and we'll talk.

If I see the Jets come out flat toss away winnable games...I'ma gonna kick my cat.

14. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

We still aren't a good football team and most of that losing is attributable to drafting bad football players. Until we fix that, we will do our best to get to .500

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The race to mediocrity begins now!

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Mediocrity would be a step up for us considering how the last 3.5 seasons have gone.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the FIRE GASE.....NOW! thread has found itself bumped to page 2

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We've completely flipped from Bowles, which is what we all wanted.

Now we start out games hot and can't finish...

Acad23 and NYJFOREVER like this.
  19. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

We managed to finish the Giants game (LeVeon touchdown) and the Redskins game (Crowder touchdown). I want to see how we play on Sunday vs a solid team, this is one of Gase's most important games of the season.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Starting out hot is certainly good. Isn't the inability to finish games typical of a young and/or rebuilding team? They have to learn how to finish games, to put the opponent away. Of course, that's playing bad teams, and the hot starts may come to a screeching halt this weekend.

Whatever the case, at least it's something about which we can be hopeful.