New York Jets went to see Colin Kaepernick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

2. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

It is not your time, or his time and this is where I really disagree, it is our time. What he does may offend you and that is your right but it is also my time and it does not offend me. Following your stand anyplace outside of government office that fly the flag should not do it? Any work place that does stuff for the 4th or anything patriotic should be stopped. Whether you or I agree or disagree is not the point either you have it one way or the other because you send mixed signals when both occur.

Again let's not pretend the NFL did anything for the vets or the armed service without getting paid, the President made this political when at the root with the NFL it was monetary. I can understand the distraction portition of the argument and agree but again if you put that into a contract and if the player violates the contract then he is gone. That is their choice not anyone else's to make.
    https://www.truthdig.com/articles/pentagon-paid-nfl-displays-patriotism/

Out of curiosity and not trying to get political... why does it offend you? did you serve in the Armed Forces. I ask because most of the people offended did not serve and I am not equating serving in the Armed forces solely as a way to patriotism, you can also volunteer to help the community for instance.

My point is, I have an issue with people who claim patriotism or moral outrage over the act of kneeling if they have not done anything to make the country a better place by volunteering or serving in something bigger then you or I. What their father did, or relative in service, maybe they passed and paid the ultimate price, but they did that for everyone in this country. To me this is false patriotism and act of intolerance based on a political belief rather then factual laws.

For instance do you know it is against the law to use the flag on disposable items like napkins, where is the outrage over that? One act is illegal and I find that offensive and the other act is not illegal? I believe in the law of the constitution and Served to uphold that belief. If one action is illegal and the other isn't where is the outrage or outcry over that from the people offended by kneeling?

If it does not offend the majority of Vets who have served that the players knelled why are people who didn't serve so upset? Where is their anger over other acts that are clearly illegal?

nyjetsmets89 and Ralebird like this.
  3. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

I dont think Kap is a great qb, but rather a system qb ho never learned to throw the ball with touch. When the system changed that last yr in SF he was bad. So there was a good chance a team that did not run something similar to Harbaugh's system or ran plays specifically for him would never sign him.
    So his chances at getting signed from this work out were pretty slim to begin with and then coupled with the above I can't blame him.

Again I think the NFL is all about the money here. Can Kap still play yes but his real chance at any success is limited so he would need to sign an contract that gives the team an out if he brings distraction to the team. The question is will he do it?

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

See but you're missing the point. It's not about my views on his actions. It's about what I believe to be the reason he is no longer in the league. That reason is because regardless of WHATEVER you think about what he did; it is controversial when his name comes up. Right, wrong or left, that is the truth.

So you sign him to backup your starting quarterback. And now INSTANTLY anyone who gets asked a question that week as your team goes on the road to play a divisional opponent is asked about their stance on National Anthem Kneeling and Kaepernick. Should Kaepernick be starting? Do you think the NFL was just in their actions? Do you stand behind your backup quarterback? Where do you stand on the National Anthem protests? Did you do them? Will you do them now?

Week, after week, after week. Now you may think that's absurd! It is! But that's what will happen. I classify that as a distraction for a football team. I think that is bad for a football team. I believe that the owners also felt that that is bad for the football team. And did not feel as though he brought enough to the table in terms of football talent (and would likely have to compete for a starting job on say 20/32 teams right?) to outweigh all of the divisiveness and questions and media attention he would bring.

We're not debating what anyone thinks about the anthem protests. But you can't separate everything else that comes along with him and say in a vacuum "it should be about football." Ok. It should be. But that doesn't mean that's the reality of it. And Kaepernick could've made it all about football this past weekend. And he chose not to. Again, whether you think he is right or wrong in his war vs. The NFL because of what happened is irrelevant. If he wanted to be on an NFL roster so desperately then he would've attended the NFL workout as presented, signed the injury waiver (as he's no longer an NFL employee) and interviewed with teams in private.

Instead? He gave the NFL the middle finger and said I'm going to do this MY WAY. "The NFL needs to stop running." And you think a team wants to field those questions and jump at signing him to backup Ryan Tannehill? No thanks. We'll take our chances with Mariota or Ryan Finley at this point.

Because now? In the ultimate team sport? Everything's about him. And it would be on any NFL roster. And that's the last thing any GM or specifically coach, wants.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

One of the great period piece movies of all time. Rip Peter Fonda.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I get that. But in the last couple years there have been teams that could have greatly benefited by signing Kap (Packers when Rodgers got hurt, Jaguars with Bortles at QB, Broncos post-Peyton) but decided they'd rather miss the playoffs than sign him.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Meh. Bortles was their 3rd overall pick and ended up going 10-6 and losing in the title game the year you proposed they should've signed Kaepernick. The Broncos had their own first round pick they were going to try out in Paxton Lynch and Trevor Siemien who went 8-6 for the franchise the year prior.

Fair point on Rodgers and the Packers. I just don't think teams felt it was worth it. Especially in the middle of a season to try to install an entirely new offense around a guy that needs an offense designed around him.

#168 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  9. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Tebow was banished from the league for being too popular to be a third-string quarterback. The media circus just wasn't worth it for a third string quarterback. And the reason he was too popular was because his devotion to his religious beliefs made him a hero in the religious community. He was indirectly banned because of his deep and outspoken devotion to religion ... and nobody bats an eye that he's not in the NFL anymore.

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Tebow were as good as Kap, there would be at least as much outrage that he isn't in the league. Either that or he'd be in the league.

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You made the claim that Kaepernick has profited from having knelt at football games. You refuse to substantiate that statement with a single fact. You may believe it in your own mind but if you're going to make such a claim on a public forum you have the obligation to support it. You have done nothing of the kind.

You now take your opinion a step farther and claim he "doesn't really want to play professional football anymore" but again completely fail to back up your statement.

Finally you say you think he proved (that he doesn't want to play) this past weekend. How? By refusing to allow the NFL to orchestrate the entire scenario behind closed doors? By giving him two hours to decide whether he would participate on their nonnegotiable terms? By not allowing his input into the time or place of their secret exhibition? You cannot be serious.

Biggs likes this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

After some of the NFL's shady shit came to light...I can see why Kaepernick threw a fit.

Still...showing up in the Kunte Kinte shirt is a bit of a head-scratcher if you're trying to move the conversation forward.

He just refuses to keep it about football...and that's where it gets sticky.

[​IMG]

FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  13. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Can Colin play Qb at the NFL?
    He has maintained good physical condition, and obviously still throws the ball at almost elite level.

Did Colin perform a protest against the rules and regulations of the NFL?
    No. Had he done so he wouldve been subjected to fines and suspensions.

Obviously NFL is trying to avoid a lawsuit, and I think Colin is at peace not playing in the NFL, even though I think hed love to.

I understand ppl feeling hurt in regards to his protest, I don't necessarily agree with it, but he was bringing awareness to a cause that he deemed necessary. I'm a retired in the law enforcement field, I dont agree with his protest. However I agree that he had a right to protest, and admire his courage to lead a peaceful protest.

The media made this situation a lot bigger than it really was and is. We have bigger issues with our country than a guy kneeling during the anthem, heck many of our politicians dont stand for the flag/anthem before and after Colin's protest.

I do agree having Colin as a backup would cause lots of unnecessary noise for the starting qb, coach, and organization. But Colin can be told before employment that during his stay with a team, he will only answer questions regarding the team, or the team he is playing against.

Finally we all have to learn to agree and especially disagree. We all have different views and opinions obviously. Heck half of my family is Jets/Mets fans and half are Giants/Yanks fans. I dont like their teams but I love them. Enjoy the game and leave the politics out. Sports unites us, politics divides us.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

tebow wasn’t banished from the league at all. He got multiple chances. Even after he failed with the Jets, philly and NE gave him chances. Tebow just sucked at quarterback

there are lots of deeply religious guys in the league

15. Jonathan_Vilma

You're not really offering up much of a rebuttal other than saying "you think this? That's crazy! You're wrong!"

Jay-Z signed a deal with the NFL to work with them on their live music events as well as being the social justice ambassador for the league. Jay-Z pressured AND worked with Roger Goodell to facilitate a workout for Kaepernick.

The NFL is the employer that Kaepernick supposedly wants to work for. The NFL arranged a workout and interview setup and invited all 32 franchises to attend said workout. They dictated the turns. It is after all their organization right?

Kaepernick is not an employee right? So the employer said; we will give you this chance but it has to be here and we don't want the media there. Do you accept or not? You're supposedly dying to get back into the league.

Was the short notice disingenuous? Yep. You can't expect them to be thrilled to provide him a workout. He hurt their bottom line. I also don't believe the NFL has ever provided an open workout for one single player in the 60 year history of the league. The NFL said no media though, we don't want this to be a circus. This is about football.

So then Colin Kaepernick says; your terms? No way! This will be on my terms. I want to be back in the league but we're going to do it my way. This is about ME. This is about what happened to ME. Don't forget that he also refused to signed a standard injury waiver for what reason?

TWO HOURS prior to it, Kaepernick continues to make it about him and his mission and changes the location which means that 16/24 of the expected teams are no longer interested. The media is now invited. He has now created his circus. He has now created a much bigger platform for himself than it needed to be. He comes out and challenges the NFL after the workout.

Kaepernick proved that this wasn't about football. He proved that this was about standing up to the big bad NFL. He gets a lot less attention if he just attends the planned workout.

By the way, the person who facilitated all of this? Jay-Z, right. He believes that he turned quote a "legitimate workout into a publicity stunt."

It's wild that you don't see what a circus he turned it into. He proved to teams that it's not about football. And he can't do anything without making it about him and his war on the NFL or his social justice campaign.

By the way. Listen to some people who have supported Colin Kaepernick for most of the way. Go listen to what Michael Wilbon said. He thought the way that you did about the NFL leading up to his planned workout. And then after he saw how Kaepernick handled it, his thought process changed and believe Kaepernick handled it horribly did himself no favors at all and made it about everything other than playing football.

FJF and dawinner127 like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the NFL is not the employer. The NFL is a trade association. For years they told their members, the real employers, not to employ Colin Kaepernick. I am glad he gave the NFL the "fuck you" because they deserved it

Biggs likes this.
  17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You do realize that players in the NFL are under contract. Contracts are negotiated before they are signed. The NFL as you so clearly pointed out were disingenuous. They also asked him to sign a very complex waiver at the last minute.

If the NY Jets could hold a workout on Mars for a Left Tackle that would be a top 20 NFL LT and Joe Douglas didn't go I suspect some of us might be pretty pissed. If I was a fan of Carolina or Tampa Bay and my GM didn't show up I would killing them on social media right now.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Complex injury waiver:rolleyes:

They both tried to protect themselves. Again, Kaepernick wanted to dictate the terms of the waiver and the NFL tried to protect themselves from another collusion grievance if no team chose to sign him after he threw some rockets on air. Because you KNOW it was coming after he had a good pad free, defense free workout and no team made him an offer.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/11/18/colin-kaepernick-copy-of-workout-waiver

FJF likes this.
  19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Again you're wrong. The NFL was asking Kap to give up rights that had nothing to do with an injury waiver. Again, lawyers for both sides negotiate language all the time. That is not dictating that's standard procedure when dealing with legal contracts. Lawyers review and clients follow their lawyers advise and language is often changed. The concept of dictating that you continue to bring up is decidedly two sided. The NFL isn't the employer the teams are. It's clear the NFL wasn't going to employ Kap a team would. The NFL's tryout was a publicity stunt to further tar Kap. It's obvious Carolina and Tampa Bay should bring him in for a workout along with other QB needy teams. They are blackballing him.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah Tampa Bay has a lot to gain bringing in a 31 year old quarterback while almost being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Carolina? Fair enough.

The NFL asked Kaepernick to give us his rights to sue them again if he didn't get signed or offered a contract. Do you blame them?

How was the event a publicity stunt when the NFL did not want the media there? Maybe the offer of the event was a PR move. Kaepernick turned it into a publicity stunt.