New York Jets went to see Colin Kaepernick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Nov 17, 2019.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

how the fuck am I nitpicking the argument by calling out your false, nitpicked claim... as false?

man we live in some strange times

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Because the point is that he's doing better than pretty much any other player in HIS situation out of the league at 29. And is still paid through endorsements as a top star.

I generalized. Sorry I didn't factor in the 1% of Troy Aikman's in the fucking world.

3. BrowningNagle

there are no players in his situation. I don't believe there are any other players banished from the league for their political views. I think this is rarified air

rammagen likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

He also staged a political protest while on the clock at his job. Few people would ever survive this at their own job, and then be given an open interview three years later. As I said. Genuine or not, settlement or not, they still gave him the opportunity and he blew it off because he wanted to dictate the terms himself. What employer would ever allow you to choose the terms of your interview?

NYJFOREVER and dawinner127 like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

the employers didn't have to show up to the venue. they chose to

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If I had a chance to get one of the top 32 salespeople in the world I would go see them anywhere they wanted me to meet them.

rammagen likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Right. And he still continued to challenge the NFL at such event. Proving in my eyes that this is not at all about getting back on the football field. But you're welcome to think that that's all it was about.

16/24 teams chose not to attend after ditching the NFL scheduled event.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Even if they would go outside during work hours in view of everyone in the company and step on the American Flag and then broadcast it on Facebook Live?

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

This is the real problem. It's going on a lot more than people think in all kinds of fields. The NFL has marketed itself as a super patriotic organization. It has wrapped itself in the flag and the professional military as part of a targeted marketing program. FYI our Constitution in the 2nd Amendment was pretty clear about the danger of a professional military. The league took a political stance and when a player pushed back and the President told them to fire him they tried to squash him. This is going on all over the country. A right wing radio talk show host was canned last week for appearing on a balanced panel that pissed off the owners. Shep Smith resigned from Fox News days after the AG Barr meets with Rupert Murdoch and the President complained about Fox news. The left has intimidated plenty of organizations to fire people for their opinions.

It's pretty sad what went on with Kap and how he was vilified for simply protesting during a political event, the raising of the flag and the playing of the National Anthem which has zero to do with football.

Ralebird and rammagen like this.
  10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Stop acting like a snowflake.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Quit acting like a social justice warrior. If you politically protest at work you better be ready to accept the consequences. He doesn't mind the consequences because he's still making a substantial amount of money. Few of us would be so lucky.

12. BrowningNagle

so.... what exactly is your point? you say there are consequences for having an opinion and you ALSO say Kaepernick accepted his consequences. cool, I guess...?

For some reason you continue to bring up his financials as if thats important, but that seems like its a separate discussion. super weird.

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

That's the problem isn't it. We believe in free speech and we actually have elections yet we are intolerant of differing opinions. Basic tolerance of differing opinions is foundational to democracy. Luck should have nothing to do with it.

Ralebird and rammagen like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

You're trying to simplify a complex matter. He didn't simply 'have an opinion.' He decided to showcase his political opinion while he was working. In the social media world it is now also written into contracts that you reflect your employer in the social media world. Look at both sides of the spectrum; Curt Schilling and Jemele Hill both got canned because they voiced their opinion on social media.

The original point was that no team wants to handle the scrutiny, or positive or negative press that he would bring in politicizing their entire football team because they do not deem the juice to be worth the squeeze. No team in their right mind would want the other 52 players and coaches and PR staff and front office to deal with any of that for a backup quarterback or a bottom 10 starter.

Your argument is that it shouldn't matter. The reality is that off the field stuff DOES matter. And is only forgiven if the talent FAR outweighs the drama. In this case it doesn't.

The financials were brought up because I personally do not believe he wants to play football anymore. And this is all PR he's seeking. He keeps his name alive and keeps his status as a social justice hero by battling the big bad NFL when he was presented an opportunity to showcase his talents to the NFL Teams and not make it into a media circus. He decided he'd prefer the circus because he stands more to gain by doing that than being a backup quarterback.

Well it's certainly a problem on both sides. I do agree with that. Intolerance is an issue. I just don't feel bad for someone who chose to do it at work simply because he's a public figure and thought he could get away with it.

15. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

wow two different situations, are we the type to believe everything on face book if so then I suggest then everyone do some research about that. FB does not care about what is being posted and even allow politicians to flat out lie in their ads. That is why I stopped going there and recommend people stop as well for a source of any information.

2nd of all as a vet what he did was not insulting to me and he was advised by a special forces vet about kneeling. I had friends that passed while in service as well. You kneel at church i do is God or the priest offended?

Sorry but I disagree whole heartedly and I always find it hard to believe so many people are this adamant about it. Esp because a vast majority of these same people never served.

3rd Politics may not have place in sports, but what he did and what he may do does not matter to me. All that matters is Sam getting better player and if he helps him then sign him. If the distraction is not worth the benefit then pass. This is a purely football based choice.

Let's all stop pretending the NFL cares about the Flag they were paid to hold events for the Armed Forces by the Armed Forces in the hope people see this and join. It is another form of revenue and commercials

Ralebird, sozopol, Biggs and 2 others like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

I understand. I don't think everyone shares your opinion though, but I certainly respect it and thank you for your service.

You can try to say it should be purely a football choice but you can't just isolate everything a player does off the field from what they do on it. You can't just ignore off the field attention and distractions. There's so many cases where players became a distraction so they were jettisoned from the team they were being a distraction on.

17. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

I understand your point but the basic facts are pretty simple if the distraction he brings to the team hurts or hinders Sam it is not worth it. But if he toes the line and helps Sam grow how can it hurt him.
    He may or not be interested in playing again but going to see him throw does not hurt anyone.

Sports may not be the place to discuss political beliefs and they should be separated an that would be the approach if they were to sign him.

This is pretty strong topic because the right believes one thing while in essence denying certain rights while the left believes in other thing and let the consequences happen. He did what he did and paid the price but lets not believe it was because the right boycotted him it was because he hurt the bottom line of the nfl's money making machine.

Let's not pretend what you do or I do at work is even on the same level of NFL player kneeling. But what we do on our own time is our business and this should be handled the same way

Biggs likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Right and my point is that there is zero chance this does not bring a huge distraction to any NFL franchise if they were to sign him. Especially as a backup. What makes you think otherwise? You can't separate him from politics for football because he will not separate himself from his political views in order to play football.

And more power to him. But I don't blame NFL teams for not wanting that around their franchise.

And your last point is the overriding point. It wasn't handled on his own time. It was handled in the confines of the NFL broadcasts and stadiums. He'd have a much better case if he was being an activist away from the field and the product. But he wasn't. He decided to do it at work.

dawinner127 likes this.
  19. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

It’s a rigged witch hunt guys. Kaepernick tearing down America

20. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

this is the only reason the nfl decided to put on this "workout"

kaps settlement with the league was via an nflpa grievance. kap can still, and probably will, personally sue the league in civil court.

full thread ...

rammagen likes this.