New York Jets went to see Colin Kaepernick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Nov 17, 2019.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I personally would not even want this guy as my fantasy football QB and thats without the baggage . The guy IMO is not very good. We can agree to disagree

FJF likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Is the NFL not providing him that opportunity to work? Again it's a baggage vs. talent position. Did the NFL collude against Ray Rice and not Kareem Hunt? Or was Kareem Hunt coming off an NFL league leading rushing year vs. Ray Rice off an awful year and heading to runningback purgatory?

Ray Rice surely was one of the top 96 runningbacks left in the league at that point. The league made the decision as a whole that he was not worth it anymore and they did not want to answer to all of the negative press that would come with it despite his girlfriend standing by him and marrying him therefore after it.

No one is limiting his ability to seek work. Again, whether genuine or not, the NFL provided him with the platform to showcase his talent for TEAMS to come see. He wanted to make it a circus and bring the media in. NFL teams don't want that and they certainly don't want it out of their NFL quarterback. They'd rather live and die by the Luke Falk's of the world.

I also thought about it being part of the settlement. But I think terms would have to be met by both sides if it was and there wouldn't be so much disagreement regarding the venue and what not.

For what it's worth, the NFL handled it very poorly from a PR standpoint. But it's their organization. He wants to be an employee. They're not really obligated to do anything for him. And it was completely unprecedented to hand him a league sponsored workout. Whether it was dictated by the settlement or not, that's never been done to my recollection.

FJF likes this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Wearing a Kunta Kinte shirt to the workout says everything about his agenda.

It's like showing up for a job interview at a women's rape center wearing a Free Harvey Weinstein t-shirt.

4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Most teams don’t have two or three QBs....a good back up is hard to find.

That being said I don’t see how he would fit into the Jets plans for 2019. There are only 6 games left in a lost season and the circus he would bring to the Jets is not worth it. I can see other teams taking a look like the Bears or Panthers if they’re willing to deal with the outside noise.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

That's such a horrible analogy and not in the slightest bit accurate.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I made a harmless joke about him protesting our offensive line and it got deleted for being too political.

Conclusion. It goes beyond Kapernick making fans not want to watch the Jets. He is even making me want to stop coming to this forum. That's some heavy duty division.

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah... I guess you are right.

Harvey Weinstein is free...a Bill Cosby t-shirt would have worked better...

#87 Acad23, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  8. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

As I said a few months before, Kaepernick doesn't really want to play. I am sure Kaepernick the Activist is making more money than if he was a backup QB. His decision to change the location was just another stunt to get more attention. All his actions are carefully calculated and are aimed only at promoting his justice warrior persona, which should lead to more endorsements from Nike, etc. It's too much risk for him to play again. If he plays like crap (most likely scenario), he will instantly lose the victim status along with all the endorsements that come with it.

But don't count the Jets out... If they have a few more games like the Miami loss, look for the Johnsons to create some kinda distraction. Signing Kaepernick might be one of the options.

dawinner127 likes this.
  9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Kap never was suspended and never violated the league code of conduct policy. It wasn't a PR problem.

The NFL is a business that has an anti-trust exemption. It's not their bat and ball with no obligations to a fair process.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Ray Rice was never permanently suspended from the league. The analogy was made to justify the baggage vs. talent argument.

The NFL has no obligation to employ any one individual over any other individual. The 32 franchises have deemed that Kaepernick the person and player is not worth their time as a backup quarterback. I don't think Kaepernick has any interest in being in the league either.

FJF likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the NFL settled for a reason. Its possible they settled because it wasn't simply a case of a team not wanting him, there was a clear directive to NOT sign him

from the beginning of trump's bullshit with Kaepernick the NFL handled it wrong. Should've just said, this is America, the NFL believes people are allowed to have opinions

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Why is the dollar figure reportedly under the $10 million mark and split by two players? Surely there was a lot more to be gained by furthering their lawsuit against the NFL, right? Especially with a high powers lawyer like Geragos.

Because he cut bait and took what he could get before he got destroyed in court. It looks better for Kaepernick to settle than to lose the lawsuit.

Sec124DieHard likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

we have no idea what the dollar figure was

Ralebird likes this.
  14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

To me it looks like the 32 franchises acted as if they were 1 league and blackballed him. The reason they did it was clearly because he was considered a financial risk. Now while I agree any one team could make that determination the fact that their was enough evidence to go to trial that at least 2 teams colluded and maybe more seems to say this wasn't about obligation by one team or individual it was collusion.

FYI Ray Rice was granted arbitration on a salary dispute with the NFL that was also settled. He was also reinstated after winning a players Union appeal of his indefinite suspension. He also went to a pre-trial domestic intervention program and a Federal Judge dismissed all charges that were filed against him after he completed it.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

We don't know for sure. But there were reports across the entire news world as to what the figure was.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3237678002

C'mon now. Kaepernick had a lot more to gain letting that lawsuit play out if there was something there. They subpoened emails and text messages.

16. BrowningNagle

its over and Kaepernick won though. He got his money AND most reasonable folks realized the NFL was wronged him for having an opinion. The only people that don't, are just people that dislike his opinion(s) in the first place.

besides I could say the same thing about the league. If there was nothing there then why do they need to settle? they are the NFL, they can afford an army of attorneys

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

A very two sided coin don't you think?

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Because the NFL has a lot more to gain by making it go away than Kaepernick does.

I have no problem with his opinions. I don't think he went about fighting for them the right way at all. And I completely understand why NFL teams want nothing to do with him.

If he was as talented as Peyton Manning, I can see the argument. He'd be no more than Fitzpatrick was and he proved that his last year. Combine that with all the bullshit they he brings and the media shit storm that follows. The NFL tried this with a backup QB in Tebow. And deemed it was nowhere near worth it. Imagine Tebow's press but negative?

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Much less than you think. Kaepernick profited off of his kneeling. The NFL almost crashed and burned. They want his name out of their headlines at all costs.

20. BrowningNagle

he's way better than Tebow ever was

but it's better comparison than your Ray Rice one. As Kaepernick's "issue" with the league has nothing to do with criminal activity