WR squad

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, Nov 10, 2019.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

2 OL, 1 WR, and 1 CB or Edge is all I ask for. This is gonna take at least 2 years given how many key positions need upgrades.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

2 OL, 1 WR, 1 Edge, 1 TE, 2 CB, 1 RB

Drafting need in the first four rounds is set for the next two years.

And then OL and CB for the next three picks. Yes. For two years. (We don't have 7th this year, so that means one of them should be dealt with through UDFA signing.) Of course this depends on how Ryan Griffin and Wesco progresses. I am hoping Griffin grows into another quality TE to pair up with Herndon, while Wesco grows into the blocking TE/FB role, but I am counting on them yet.

#42 Zach, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  3. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

That makes you the Giants with OBJ...oh joy.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Check out the WRs who may become FAs during the upcoming offseason. One can't rationally expect Douglas to draft 3 WRs, but even if he did, it isn't rational to expect that they could all contribute next season, if ever. If Douglas had traded Robby, it would have been Crowder and 3 rookies, unless Enunwa is back, and he can't be counted on. He should retire while he can still walk.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

There’s more than 1 round of drafting. If all we are able to count on is the first pick we may as well fold up shop now

CotcheryFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

I think there's a middle ground. What you stated sounds all too close to what Mac did. He thought all those DTs were BPA and great prospects and to good to pass up. IMO there has to be balance.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  7. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I agree. And there's also FA which I really think JD will pick up at least a starting guard, CB, WR, and possible EDGE talent. Not counting the re-signings ( Jenkins ) and depth pieces. If he does that he can go into the draft focusing on the rest of the OL, adding another CB, and another skill player for Sam.

Assuming JD is able to sign players of those positions above in FA and with the OL depth being as deep as it is, particularly for OTs, the first round pick will depend naturally on the Jets position and who is still on the board. I will go out on a limb and say the Jets finish 5-11 and get the #7 pick. You would have to figure aside from the top 2 QBs, Chase Young is gone, one of the top OTs is gone ( Thomas or Wirfs ), possibly the CB from Ohio St ( forgot his name ) and perhaps the DT from Alabama. If Jeudy is still there - a big if - and perhaps the Jets really wanted Thomas and he is gone - it wouldn't be the worst thing if they took him. But at that point JD has probably already identified which OTs he will select in the second round. This draft is deep enough to get one in round 2.

I cannot see the Jets coming out of their top four selections without at least 2 OL - probably a LT and a C.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't count on getting a starting LT in the 2nd round. As we've seen before in drafts, once a player or two at an important position is/are drafted, a run starts. Even picking at #7 in the 2nd round, the Jets could find themselves without a good LT prospect, or having to reach for one. There's no way I'd be in favor of that. In your scenario, if Wirfs is sitting there (and the Jets like him), then he has to be the pick, especially if Young and Thomas are gone. It would be great to add Jeudy, but if we don't get the OL fixed, it won't matter how great the WR is we draft. I'd rather add Wirfs or trade down if they aren't that high on Wirfs but like another LT prospect that they can get a little lower, than take Jeudy.

I'm hoping that they only finish with 3 wins and can trade down 2-3 spots, add another 2nd rounder, and still get one of Thomas/Wirfs.

9. mrjet80

That's the other problem - I don't think they will lose to the Skins, Bengals, or Miami for a second time.

No if Wirfs is there AND they like him they should take him. I was just throwing a scenario out there that they liked Thomas over Wirfs and Thomas was gone.

Quite frankly if Young was still available whenever the Jets pick I can't see them passing him up regardless. Mac really crapped the bed last year passing on Allen I think.....

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He most certainly did. Edge was a big need and he passed on Allen and other prospects for another interior DL. There has to be a balance between BPA and need.

11. NCJetsfan

Mac definitely screwed the pooch not taking Allen. I wanted to drive to NJ and beat the hell out of him after he took Q. Williams and not Allen.

Young would be great in any other year, but I don't care how great he is, the Jets cannot pass up taking Thomas or Wirfs in the 1st round, unless there's another LT that Douglas thinks will be better that's rated lower in the 1st round and can trade down. I think taking Young would be a huge mistake. He won't protect Sam or help him develop, and if Sam gets seriously injured or doesn't develop, by the time we get another potential FQB, Young will be either on his second contract with a team other than the Jets or will have retired.

12. mrjet80

I was just reading up on Wirfs. I haven’t seen him play but I like his size and intangibles. He may be better then Thomas who is currently ranked higher.

I’ve always preferred the Big Ten when it comes to OL...

#52 mrjet80, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  13. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Yep...I don't think receivers are a priority need for this team right now, assuming we can keep what we already have. We need a whole new Oline plus a depth guy or 2; at least one, if not 2 or 3, corners; and a pass rusher WAY before we need to improve the receiver corps. That probably takes care of the next 2 free agencies and drats.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Iowa does have a great pedigree although they also do have Robert Gallery to their name.

Starting Iowa offensive lineman in the NFL:
    RT Bryan Bulaga
    G Brandon Scherff
    C Austin Blythe
    G Marshall Yanda (likely HOFer)
    LT Riley Reiff

You can say that one doesn't always directly related to the next drafted but they're all coached and recruited by the same guy.

Jets81, CotcheryFan, K'OB and 2 others like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I disagree. How is Sam supposed to develop without quality WRs to throw to? Yes, the OL needs to be fixed, and I believe it will be, but Sam then needs targets. Even if Robbie is back, Crowder and he aren't enough. It's doubtful that Enunwa will be back, but even if he is, how long before he goes down with an injury again. NFL offenses are predicated on passing the ball. Who knows if Herndon will be healthy next year? Who knows if Wesco or the ex Texan will be adequate TEs? If we sign Hargreaves and he pans out and/or sign a FA CB, along with Austin, we'll be fine at CB. The name of the game in today's NFL is scoring points. It's more important that Sam develop and we are able to score points than it is to add CBs imo.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

crowder is a super consistent WR. always has been. DT no way though. dude has dropped a ton of balls for us this year

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yup. I'll take as many corn-fed Iowa offensive linemen that this team can find. Joe Douglas should just set up his office in Iowa for the next couple years

Footballgod214 and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

He has a 61% catch rate vs. Robby's 48%. He only has four drops on the year...

#58 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

4 drops = TON of drops.

FJF likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

I'm sensing sarcasm in you, padwon.

I mean it's not great. Relatively speaking though it's not really that bad. DeAndre Hopkins has three. Keenan Allen has 5.

Thomas has been good for us.

NCJetsfan likes this.