Way too early off-season plan. How JD can get it done?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 12, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Looking at what we may be able to do for this offseason and yeah it's early and shit will change but here we go

cap space currently is at 67 million including roll over
    -10 mil (rookie allotment)
    = 57m

Cuts
    trumaine 3m
    avery 6.5m
    winters 7.5m
    roberts 6m

that gives us 80 mil to spend. not bad but we have a lot of holes and free agents

Main holes (FA cost)
    WR - the FA crop is poor. only cooper would be an improvement for us and i doubt he shakes loose and his price is too high. we'll use the resign here

LT none we'll address this in the draft 1st round

(12.5) OG - We should sign Schreff, he's by and far the best OG on the market. he's reasonable young at 28 and guards can play well into their early 30s.

C - address in the draft

(18) Edge - this is why I want to save the 9 mil form cooper even if he's there. I'd expect to spent 18 mil. there are a ton of good edge rushers in this FA class. clowney, barrett, ngakoue and even some tier 2 guys like fowler, golden, lawson, JPP, mingo or even try a flyer on beasley cheap. personally i'd go for broke spending here

(20) CB - i'm listing CB at 20 because we need an overhaul. it'll be split between 2 players. remember in this case we only have 2 active CBs on the roster so far (haven't gotten to resigning) which are austin and hairston. the plan here is to sign 2 good ones to play outside. a few i'd consider are apple, hargreaves, darby, peters. ideally if we could throw 12 mil at peters and get apple for around 8 mil i'd be pretty stoked.

so that's all the free agent spending for a total of 50.5 mil leaving us with 29.5 mil for resigns (resign cost)

(10) Robby - will be interesting. market value is around 12mil but production is low. could get more like 8mil. i'll split it and call it 10 mil

(5 mil) - poole I think we can keep him cheap. he's a slot CB so won't command as high of a value. he's only making 3 mil year. I think we can get him for like a 3 for 15

(2) Siemian - for 2 mil again i'd bring him back another year. he's cheap and a vet and his value hans't gone up after lasting 2 quarters

(1.5) compton - cheap depth lineman

(2) Hewitt - will battle cashman for the starting job opposite mosely

(1.5) griffin - ok TE but reliable. small raise to pair with herndon

(8) jenkins - I think we should resign him. he's a solid player decent pass rusher great against the run good teammate. He won't be super expensive either.

(2) lewis - cheap starter at OG for another year. probably replaced in 2021 but we cna't replace 5 lineman in 1 offseason. 3 is as much as we can in 1 year so we keep him

(1) edwards - good punter and won't be expensive. no reason to switch him out.

(1) Ficken - resign him, he's been decent and cheap

that gives us 34 mil spent making us technically 4.5 over but with a restructure or back loading some of these deals since I used an average salary can account for that so that makes us tapped out

Now the draft mind you it's early but

1) OT - thomas would be awesome. if he goes before our pick we could get jackson, adams, wirfs, little. lots of good 1st round LT options

2) C - Tyler would be nice if he slips, if not we could land hansen in the 2nd

3) (NYG pick) from the leo trade - i'll have to do more scouting but we can take a WR here. gandy-golden would be nice i have to do more scouting but it's a deep WR draft and with an early 3rd rounder we can probably land a good one. hell metcalf fell to the 64th pick, this should be around 68-71

3) (our pick) I think we go CB here. again have to scout more but maybe someone like troy pride jr

With these moves that makes our projected lineup

Offense
    QB darnold, siemian
    RB bell, cannon
    TE Herndon, Wesco, griffin
    C Rookie 2nd rounder
    OG Lewis, Scherff
    OT Edoga, rookie 1st ronuder
    WR Robby, enunwa (if healthy), crowder, rookie 3rd rounder, bellamy, smith, berrios (one of the last 3 can be cut for small cap room)

Defense
    D-line - foley, shepard, Q, mclendon, phillips, anderson
    ILB Mosely, hewitt/cashman
    OLB jenkins/barrett
    CB Peters, Apple, Poole, Austin, 3rd rounder, hairston
    S Adams, Maye

Seems like a pretty good starting point and we can use the later picks (4,5,6) and UDFA to fill in depth. this way we get a rebuilt o-line mostly with 3 new starters, rebuilt secondary plus an edge rusher to pair with jenkins and another WR for darnold

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As always G&C you do a great job of research, and you're willing to put a "stake in the ground". That said, "Man plans; god laughs".

I also would expect a trade back scenario landing us more quality picks.

azhar80, Jets_Grinch, twown and 2 others like this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

I would consider a trade. all depends where we are. regardless of our spot if thomas is on the board we take him. if not i wouldn't mind sliding back. after thomas there are like 3 similar LT prospects so trading back could work there. all depends where we pick and where thomas goes.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

I really don't know enough about Thomas, or any of the draft possibilities, but just in terms of a general strategy given our huge number of gaping holes, even if Thomas is available, I might consider trading back anyway if the "secondary" LTs aren't that much of a drop off. IOW: if I could snag TWO highly rated OL instead of one (potentially) great one, I'd have to seriously consider that.

ukjetsfan and tomdeb like this.
  5. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Trade back for Alex Leatherwood. OT bama.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Scherff is the best but he's also going to command the most money. Either way, I'm all for it.

I'm interested in Jack Conklin from Tennessee. Rookie year All-Pro and he's been riddled with injuries the past two seasons. Maybe a discount RT.

A couple others;
    RT Jack Conklin (26)
    G/C Cody Whitehair (28)
    LT Anthony Castonzo (32)
    RT/LT Germain Ifedi (26)
    RT Daryl Williams (28)
    OG Andrus Peat (27)
    OG Joe Thuney (28)
    C Brett Jones (29)

It's a deep offensive line free agent class. It's a shame La'el Collins resigned with the Cowboys or else he would've been a good target. I would think Scherff is a priority.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

If thomas is there i'd rather have him over the rest. he stands out from the pack. it's not worth an extra 2nd round pick to miss out on him. unless we maybe get an extra 1st i'd consider the downgrade. after him though i'd be happy to trade back. there are easily 5 others worth taking in the 1st as it stands. leatherwood, wirfs, little, jackson, adams. with not a lit of difference in the talent.

that is a good option if we slide back for sure.

8. GasedAndConfused

if we can't land schreff i'd settle for peat or thuney. Don't want conklin as i'd rather go with edoga at RT and draft a LT in the 1st. Jones is interesting but also 29 not elite and i'd rather get a young C in the draft. it's a very rare deep o-line draft and i'd rather use our picks on that then pay big money in free agency we could spend on edge or CB which is weaker in the draft this year. If we could land jones cheap though i'd go for it and make him compete with the rookie and be good depth

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

I can't see him not signing two offensive lineman in a honesty. I'm with you on trying to find good young offensive lineman in the draft, but on the flip side you free up the availability to draft edge/CB. This is a good edge draft too.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

To trade back out of the very high spot we'll likely be in, I would want at LEAST one other 1st this year, and a 2nd or maybe a very high 3rd. I'd be hoping to land a stud OL and pass rusher with our first two picks and then another stud OL with the third one (subject to what we might've gotten in FA).

11. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

All of it depends so much on where we finish, draft order, etc. I would basically look at our options as this

If we somehow pick #2. Draft Chase Young and then mix with multiple OL in round 2 and the 2 picks in round 3 along with FA

If we pick 3-5: Evaluate Andrew Thomas. If he is a sure thing, get him. If he is gone...drat Jeudy and then draft multiple OL in round 2 and the 2 picks in round 3 along with FA.

If we pick 4-7: Target Tristan Wirfs or even Jeudy if he falls. Then draft multiple OL in round 2 and the 2 picks in round 3 along with FA.

Mid Round 1: Draft Alex Leatherwood

I wouldn't rule out the idea of not going OL in round 1. The key is will we be able to find a LT in FA or later round to immediately start? Will be tough for that position. I am confident we can draft enough interior OL in rds2-3 to start but LT is the key, clearly.

If I was GM, I would do this (Mock):
    RD1: Trade Back to 14 or so. Draft Alex Leatherwood. a OT/LG combo from Bama. Seems like a sure thing. Suprised a Bama OL is not much higher on draft board. Lets say this nets us a round 2 pick.

Rd 2 (Jets): Nick Harris (C) Washington. Would like to get Humphrey from OU but he may be gone in RD1 along with Biadasz from Wisconsin

Rd 2 (mid round): A.J. Terrell | CB | Clemson. Solid player from a winning program. Hopefully he is around here?

RD3: (Giants): Alton Robinson-Edge-Syracuse. Solid edge player who plays on a bad team. Often doubled teamed. Strong 2018 year.

Rd3 (Jets):K.J. Hamler | WR | Penn State

dawinner127 likes this.
  12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I would ecstatic if this is how it went.

13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I've been reading good things about Notre Dame's LT Liam Eichenberg. Has anybody here seen him play? Big guy.....he may be available in the second round. Kraemer gets all the attention but supposedly Eichenberg is a borderline blue chip talent. I'm just thinking along the lines if the Jets wanted to go EDGE (Young) or WR (Jeudy) in first round...….

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Nice job. Not sure Robbie A. is worth that much, but jets have little choice. Glad to see someone is interested in finally building an O-Line. Our former GM sure wasn't.

15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I would go after Offensive Linemen in free agency and heavily in the draft.

Grab a WR in the draft. Sign a couple corners in free agency. The more linemen, the better. Go crazy with them. We do not need RB, TE, QB, Safety, or Defensive Linemen. Focus on the Offensive Line and get a play-maker WR to pair with Anderson, Crowder, Bell, and Herndon.

I can see us heavily improving next year with a transformed offensive line and one more WR.

chandler, Red Menace and SOJAZ like this.
  16. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

All I know is if we don't pick Chase Young with the first pick, everything needs to be on the offensive side of the ball. I'd rather go 4-12 losing shootouts than 4-12 watching an anemic offense.

Plus, if we have a legit NFL offense, we won't be going 4-12 regardless of our defense.

SOJAZ likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

it's always a good edge draft though lol. its rare for a good O-line draft. i'd rather use the draft to stock up on o-line then to expect a 1st rounder rusher to be a bosa. i know allen and bosa are killing it but the other 5 pass rushers in the 1st round last year are not. I'm not opposed to signing 2 o-lineman but there really isn't much on the young and good and i'd also rather use FA for CBs as well over the draft
    we don't know how high we will be. i don't think we will get 1. right now we are picking 5. we also play wash this sunday and miami and cincy. I don't see how we don't win at least 2 of those 3 games. that puts us at 4-5 wins which this year could knock us back to like 8-ish. if that's the case i'd trade back if thomas doesn't fall and he likely won't. I actually think no matter where we pick, washington is gonna get him in the top 3. I'm hoping they go for jeudy but who knows. if thomas is gone and we can slide back for an extra 2nd that would be awesome
    LT is deep enough we could probably get a good one in the 2nd, but that would liekly hurt our chances of finding a C. it'll be interesting but yeah this is super early

18. GasedAndConfused

his value is interesting it was higher in 2017 he on pace to make the probowl then mccown got hurt and he feel short. then in 2018 we thought he'd make a pro bowl but the numbers were just decent. darnold mised a month and mcown looked bad. enunwa missed the whole year. o-line sucked etc etc. we gave him the tender for a 1 year prove it deal and again numbers aren't there, just potential. I think he's worth shepard money, thats what spotrac says too. but then again without the stats the jets could hardball him and he could take a 1 year prove it deal elsewhere. the WR market this offseason is horrible

19. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I think a decent C can be found with one of the 3rd round picks...….

The Jets will probably win those 3 games but no others. Which leaves them at 5-11 and probably picking about #7.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

This is going to be a wild year for free agent corners. Teams are going to be throwing a lot of money around at them. If we think about doing it we need to choose wisely because we're 0-2 on big time corners.

CB Logan Ryan
    CB Trae Waynes
    CB Byron Jones
    CB James Bradberry
    CB Eli Apple
    CB Darqueze Dennard
    CB Daryl Worley
    CB Ronald Darby
    CB Chris Harris
    CB Bradley Robey

The top four are really the cream of the crop. Chris Harris might be the best cover corner on the list, but he's aging and will likely go to a 1-2 year competitor.

#20 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019