WR squad

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, Nov 10, 2019.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We should sign a guy and draft a guy. Not necessarily in the 1st but definitely on the second day

2. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Meh, shows flashes and very frail and is easily out-muscled for the ball. He was an UDFA and he should've been treated as a commodity to trade and get a 4th, maybe a 3rd for at the deadline. He'll never be more than a complimentary piece at WR, but will likely want $ above his value.

In fairness to him, the dope of a HC coach said that he was going to have him run more than just deep routes, not sure what the route tree is that Flounder and Gase have come up with for him.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'll be surprised if he doesn't retire, and hope he does for his sake. He's been lucky twice. He doesn't want to wind up like Darryl Stingley.

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

But I was told Robby Anderson was worth a first round pick

5. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I'm not against drafting a receiver in the draft...just not in the first 40 picks drafting a receiver at 5 makes zero sense.

Metstrife likes this.
  6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Not before round 3. Preferably at 4 or lower.

I want to see the Jets draft OLB or OL in round 1 for the first time in ages.

We even had a shot at Josh Allen the past spring - he looks real good in Jax.

Metstrife and MJK like this.
  7. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Agreed pass rushers or OL...not drafting Allen set us back a year.

NCJetsfan, FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. FJF

I haven’t watched much college football this year but I never rule out any position in a cap league or if the player is the real deal. Like colts taking Nelson at 6. If there’s a wr worthy of the pick when we are otc they should definitely take him.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  9. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I would add CB to this rotation of desperate need. The case could easily be made that between these 3 positions if JD goes BPA in every round selecting one of them would go a long way to turning this organization around...

mrjet80 likes this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Totally agree with what many of you have commented on many a tread regarding the draft. To me the strategy should be pretty straight forward. OL, OLB, CB, and WR. BPA on those four areas on early rounds plus ILB in later round would be a start. And for good measure, get a couple of free agents to solidify the OL and WR position. JD would be a hero. Now, as far as coaching is concerned.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We should. The free agent cupboard is relatively bare though, assuming we won't toss enough money at Amari Cooper and AJ Green is aging and will be essentially two years removed from playing after he barely plays this year with the ankle.

Nelson Agholor has the dropsies too much for my liking.

A couple under the radar guys to look at;

Keelan Cole (Jaguars) - RFA
    Caught a TD against us and hasn't seemed to play consistently with any one quarterback to get his career moving. Former D2 receiver without great measurables (6'1 - 190 pounds - 4.64 40) but all appears that he's a good professional receiver. I wonder if they'll sign him to an offer sheet.

Geronimo Allison (Packers)
    Big strong dude who is used to running a scramble drill. I have to imagine he'd prefer to stay in Green Bay and he also doesn't have a ton of production to his name so he may not be that expensive.

Tajae Sharpe (Titans)
    Another small college receiver without immense speed or measurables and not a ton of NFL production. He also hasn't had a very stable QB situation himself.

DeMarcus Robinson (Chiefs)
    Speed guy who is coming out of his shell with a QB that can get him the ball a little better than Alex Smith.

Lequon Treadwell (Vikings)
    Disappointing first round pick. I thought he was a clone of Brandon Marshall coming out of Ole Miss and I'm shocked he hasn't been a good player. He's been cut by Minnesota and resigned and in Zimmer's doghouse but teams haven't tried to sign him.

It's a bad year to need a free agent receiver. We're going to be looking at signing the equivalent of a younger Bellamy and hoping they come on with more consistent reps.

In other words; throw shit at the wall and pray it turns into ice cream. With how deep this receiver class is and how badly we need to revamp the entire thing I wouldn't be opposed to taking 2 OL and 2 WR with our first four picks. And the defense can just figure it out they've had ten years of draft picks. Let's try the other side of the ball now.

#31 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  12. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

BPA is why we passed on guys like Nelson and Allen...prioritizing positions that are the most important is the way to go....no need to draft safties, interior D lineman, WR, or RBs in the top 10 unless your a team ready to contend.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

BPA has absolutely haunted this franchise for 20 years and I will forever hate the phrase because you're right.

kevda5n9ne and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

It's not a coincidence the last time this team had a good run we drafted Mangold and Ferguson in the 1st round.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Oh. Right...

Robby is a UFA after this season, eh? Joe Douglas blew this one then. He should have traded Robby when he could.

Andy_M, 94Abraham and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I believe Robby will be back next year. Unless some team throws stupid money at him, I think he will resign. The beat writer on SNY, I can't remember his name, he provides some valuable insights on what the front office is thinking on their pregame show. he says they want to resign Robby Anderson, and Anderson wants to come back. that's why they didn't trade him.

he doesn't need to be the no.1 by the way, they can (and should) still add to the receiver corps if/when they sign Anderson

also, the guy on SNY said that Douglas top priority will be upgrading the line. (duh) but the biggest insight, I think, was that he said the front office believes the only person they see as a real NFL starter on that line is guard Alex Lewis, and that they will try to replace every other guy if possible

17. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Who says he didn't try? 1 route Robbie can stay for the cheap but if he prices himself out he'll end up on a team and widdle into obscurity.

jonnyd, 94Abraham and Zach like this.
  18. FJF

We passed on Nelson for Darnold . Allen should have been bpa, that’s bad evaluating. But you can’t just skip superior prospects and take lesser because you feel the need is more important. That’s how you end up with a roster full of jags and busts. There’s no way we should pass up a great wr prospect for a good o line prospect if the scenario should be there. We need both, take the great prospect

stinkyB likes this.
  19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Was thinking the same thing about DT and Cotchery.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

It needs to be a blend of both though IMO, or you end up with a scenario like the Lions ended up in with taking three receivers in three straight years because BPA on their board dictated that. And then you have no offensive line, running game or quarterback to get them the ball.

Or us, where we've become a factory to recycle 5Techniques. I think when you are a team that is perpetually good because you have a proven quarterback and a core of good players, you can move into that BPA scenario when you're drafting in the 20s.

Vikings do it with corners, the Steelers do it with outside linebackers, the Patriots do it with offensive lineman.

What you said is right on though. We need receivers and offensive lineman at all costs. It better be a heavy blend of them for the first four rounds.

ColoradoContrails, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.