Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You would have to be insane to pin your hopes on that. You're a fan of a crappy team with a crappy owner. "Wait until next year" a rallying cry of fans of bad teams everywhere is not about hope, it's about acceptance.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That's what makes me laugh when anyone says it's a "talent" issue.

There was a play Sunday where we had 6 guys on the line and the Dolphins had a three man rush and one was totally unblocked with a free run at Sam.

We had SIX guys blocking TWO!!!

That ain't a talent issue.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan, Andy_M and 2 others like this.
  3. Yorkshire Jet

Yorkshire Jet Member

Well i was replying to a Harbaugh suggestion, who has a superbowl appearance with the 49ers and good pedigree. Also Mike McCarthy did have lots of success, granted with Rodgers. But still has experience of winning.

Also either go for someone who has had success recently and is young (McVay, Nagy, Pederson, Reich type) or go for someone who has a proven record. Not Adam Gase basically who has none of these things.

Personally i like Jack Del Rio, had good seasons with Raiders and Jags and i think fits us well. I would try him on a quick fix under Douglas.

Douglas might be the right guy. But Gase, Owners and a good amount of the team are definitely not. Needs a clear out and re-structure from top to bottom. Probably will not happen, but it should.

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

If you sack Gase - and I would - you don't go for a short-term quick fix like Del Rio. You let Williams and Cooter take over and spend all your time getting the right person at season's end.

5. Yorkshire Jet

Yorkshire Jet Member

I don't think Williams or Cooter are realistic head coach hires. If you can get someone out of work to come in on a short term basis and promise them an interview at the end of the season? If he does well we might hire them, if they do well and we go elsewhere then other teams will still have a look. Look at Kitchens at the browns, got a head coach job because of half a season of promise. For an old guy, out of work, who wants to get back on the rollercoaster??? For them if it goes wrong then at least they can go back to golf course in 2 months time. I am not sure why this is never considered, when most co-ordinators who are put in temporary charge try to change things with no realistic hope of the full time gig. Rex Ryan someone say?????? ;)

6. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Bottom line.........at this point there is absolutely nothing that would suggest that the Gase/Jets thing is ever going to work. There is absolutely nothing we have seen that supports Gase as being some offensive guru, competent HC, or even a competent OC for that matter. Anyone with eyes and a brain has to be able to see that he has to go. There is absolutely ZERO chance of straightening this mess up until he is gone. This team will continue to be absolute dog shit until that happens.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan, Ralebird and 2 others like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Just to drive your point home:

One thing that has become clear in the 2019 season is the Jets have no idea how to use Le’Veon Bell’s skillset to their advantage. At least it seems that way most of the time. Once in a while, they will leverage his ability properly.

Take this play early in the third quarter of the game against Miami yesterday. The Jets split Bell wide.

[​IMG]
    This is a tough spot to put a defense in. Bell has receiver skills, but the threat of him running the ball makes it difficult for Miami to replace a linebacker with an extra cornerback. So when the Jets split him out wide, it puts the defense in a difficult position.

The Dolphins respond by putting a cornerback across from him.

But Bell drawing a corner really messes up Miami’s assignments, and the Dolphins end up with linebackers against both Jamison Crowder and Robby Anderson. Those are favorable matchups for the Jets.

[​IMG]
    In the end, the corner Bell draws respects his route running ability so much that he leaves a huge cushion. It becomes an easy completion for Sam Darnold.

[​IMG]
    Bell caught the pass and scampered up the field for a 12 yard gain.

These are the types of things Bell is capable of doing to make everybody’s life easier. His ability to split out wide forced the Dolphins to stick linebackers against wide receivers. Bell’s reputation as a receiver got him an easy completion even against a corner.

With a struggling offense, one might think the Jets would go back to something that worked. This team has had a tough time simplifying the game for Darnold and taking the playmaking burden off his shoulders. Here he finally got something easy to execute.

If the Jets split Bell wide again, and Miami approached things the same way there again would be a bunch of mismatches.

If the Dolphins moved their corners inside to play the wide receivers, they would have to put a linebacker out wide against Bell. That isn’t a place most linebackers feel comfortable, and Bell would have a huge advantage.

If it worked enough times, Miami might eventually have been forced to replace a linebacker with an extra corner. That would be the point where you motion Bell into the backfield. Miami would have a lighter box and be more vulnerable to a run play. It would be a way to help out an offensive line struggling in run blocking.

This play happened with over eleven and a half minutes left in the third quarter. The Jets put Bell out wide once more in the entire game. That was in a desperation situation with 35 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

When we talk about bad game planning and play calling, rarely is it due to something egregious like the Seahawks not giving the ball to Marshawn Lynch in the Super Bowl. More often it is a handful of little things that add up over time. This is one of many little things with the Jets’ offensive approach that seems questionable. They found something that provided them with an advantage and totally disregarded it.

When you hear an analyst say, “The Jets have no idea how to use Le’Veon Bell,” this would be an example.

NYJetsO12, SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and 7 others like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Can you email this over to Adam Gase?

10. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Exactly......

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. MoWilkBeast

Jets81, NCJetsfan, Noam and 4 others like this.
  12. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Apologize to Rhule for Macc being an idiot and pay him handsomely.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  13. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Sorry I’m not a basement dwelling computer expert and was not trying to claim that I wrote that. I don’t know how to post a link. I thought the source was mentioned within. Give yourself a gold star for excoriating me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You can't play dumb and use the word "excoriating" in the same post.

Nice try... ;)

15. MoWilkBeast

That wasn't excoriating, more of a gentle rebuke. You managed to cut and paste the entire text and images, but couldn't cut and paste the web address as well? (Hint - it's the little chain button). Nor could you type in before the article "Here's an interesting little article I found on GGN the other day". You hardly need to be a basement dwelling geek to do that.

Ps. I'm in my 50s, own my own home and have 3 kids. That said (using shouts up the stairs voice): ' Hey Mom, get you're lazy ass down here with my breakfast now. And take my laundry back up with you while you're at it.'

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I'd go all in on Rhule but he probably wouldn't take it. The guy turns programs around. He's from NY originally. Like his disposition and how he just methodically builds his system wherever he goes and WINS quickly.

He's one of the best young coaches around. We need one of these top, dynamic guys. If not him then McCarthy is a solid fall back option.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The Browns and Kitchens are the best reason to fire Gase now and see what Williams can do as coach. Williams was the interim coach of the Browns and arguably was the reason for their turnaround last season, so what did the Browns do? Promote Kitchens to coach instead of keep him at OC and Williams as coach.

maybe Williams is a good coach and Kitchens undeservedly got the credit with the Browns. If Williams can get this talentless team playing well the second half, it’s a pattern of his ability in the role not an exception, and we have our coach.

but Kitchens didn’t get the HC gig because of a half season of promise with the Browns because he wasn’t the coach in that half season. He got the job because the Browns were afraid he’d get another job and mistakenly assumed his chemistry as OC with Mayfield would translate to success as a HC, ignoring the person who was successful for them as coach for that half season.

Jets need to see what they have in Williams rather than waste any more time with Gase.

18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Wahoo take a bow,,,great catch by you and this was only ONE illustration of how the coaches are clueless can you imagine how many other mistakes we can find if we direct the game

19. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The only saving grace in this situation is that Joe Douglas isn't Maccagnan, perhaps Rhule would take the job if he were approached by Douglas.

The breakdown was when Mac wanted to have control over the coaching staff, which based on Mac's record, is ridiculous.

cmcm750203 and JetsNation06 like this.
  20. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

This is a good breakdown on how poor this roster is, and although Bob Weschusen makes the argument that Gase shouldn't be fired, I still maintain that there are coaches in this league who are dealing with shitty depth and are still winning, or at least remaining competitive