Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

So who’s it gonna be? Last time I heard the Jets are all about “next man up”.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Honestly if we're going to go the billboard route again, can we be proactive and give some suggestions of who we want to hire?

NYJFOREVER and Linebacker712 like this.
  3. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

All the optimism I felt when we fired Bowles, went immediately in the toilet the day we hired Gase.
    As hard as I tried to fool myself into being hopeful about the future, deep down I knew just how much of an indefensible, God Awful hire this was. The only organization with a more incompetent front office than ours, was smart enough to let him go, and we pull a hamstring running to hire him. I still can't get over the stupidity of it.

Do these Johnsons ever watch any football?
    It needs to be asked, because how could anyone watch Miami football from 2016-2018, and think this man was a viable option? HOW can that be possible? If the Johnsons, thought Adam Gase was some kind of offensive whiz kid, and a competent NFL Head Coach, the only reasonable explanation is that they didn't watch the Dolphins play football from 2016-2018. Maybe these owners should take the time to pay attention to the business they're in. Just look around the league, and it's painfully obvious that what we're doing here, bears no resemblance whatsoever to what's happening anywhere else in the NFL. The only exception being the rotting corpse Gase left behind in Miami.

The day of the hire, we threw the 2019 season into the dumpster.
    It would be nice if we could leave it at that and move on.
    And it really needs to happen soon, because if not, we just may win enough games to throw 2020 in the dumpster as well.

4. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

For those that said bring in “Fire Gase and bring in Williams”. Please! Williams has his own issues and cannot prevent team from scoring in first drive. They gave up nearly 400 total yards and costly big plays.

I know it ain’t going to happen but a new coach, OC and DC and lot of draft picks is desperately needed for the Jets in offf season. Start new and keep Darnold and few guys....

5. Jonathan_Vilma

It's not that easy to make time to watch football when you're counting your pharmaceutical money.

Face it. Owning the Jets is a hobby for the Johnson's.

6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

They dropped the thought of Matt Rhule even though some news outlets had already reported the Jets had hired Matt Rhule the moment Peyton Manning picked up the phone and called Chris Johnson. Then Johnson stood in front of a podium and looking rather uncomfortable and doing a bad job answering questions Chris tried to sell us all on Adam freaking Gase and the funny / sad part is some people actually bought into this line of Bull Shit, I know , I know I find it amazing myself .

ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  7. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

EXACTLY THIS. No 2 TE sets. No Max Protects. Gase is a fraud.

NCJetsfan and CBG like this.
  8. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Gase isn’t coaching well but this team is severely flawed...the oline is a travesty for starters

Can’t run or protect Sam worth a shit as we’re all aware of by now. Yea there’s ways to coach around this a little bit (which stubborn Gase refuses to do) but deep down you cannot win consistently with a garbage oline, you just can’t

The corners are a joke and we have nothing consistent off the edge or even up the middle rushing the passer

A good coach might have this team with one extra win somewhere...No excuse for not even being competitive but we would suck with anyone at this point

Linebacker712, Acad23 and rohirrim665 like this.
  9. xfinfan86x

xfinfan86x New Member

This is how it went down... in a Peyton Manning voice..."Chris Woody Hey listen theres this coach... he's available and he's the biggest offensive genius this world has ever seen! He was coaching Miami Dolphins and he..." Woody Johnson interrupts... "The Miami Dolphins do we own them?" Woody asks Peyton: "No but... YOU could own this guru, this umm... shall we say... QB Whisperer. The best I've ever met..." "Are you serious? Why is he leaving Miami?" asks Chris. Peyton does his commercial pitch "He doesnt have the personnel and full control of the roster to run this system. Its too advanced even for me... Space age stuff. Very Top Secret. In Denver I only was given very few glances at it. Legend has it he discovered this playbook in his earlier days as an archaeologist." Woody interrupts again this time with a firm and steady tone in his voice.... "Say no more. Do whatever it takes! Whatever he wants. Just get him here making us money."

CBG likes this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Whats the Mystery guys?

The Fraud Bros hired another Fraud

Someone posted "do the Johnsons even bother to watch Football ??"

SMH..they prob have no knowkedge of pharmaceuticals..if Johnson and J were actually run by Chris and Woody and not Ivy Leaguers they would have been in Chap 11 a long time ago

11. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

I was hoping someone would post exactly how I feel so It would save me the typing and you did it. Thank you for being the voice of reason.

I initially hated the Gase hire for the first few hours and then convinced myself of all the upside he has so I didn't have an entire offseason of despair. In theory I became a fan of Gase .

Has he lived up to my expectations ? Not at all . However , to think ANY other coach In this league would be doing much better seems silly considering the roster we have thanks to the last two GMs and also the unbelievable string of misfortune we've had with injuries . You can put the Williamson injury on Gase, but losing Mosley and Enunwa , Darnold and Herndon and all of our backup LBs for majority of the year makes this team so much different .

Am I a fan of Gase ? Not anymore , no. I think a great HC could have us at 3-4 at best right now but it's hard to evaluate the team properly with this maligned roster and most especially awful O-line.

The only thing I'm certain of is that this franchise is a depressing mess.

King Koopa likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

I understand and share the sentiment sometimes. But the two drives we flip to a short passing game we scored touchdowns. Everytime we seemed to get away from it, it became sack city. The running game is incredibly predictable. And the passing plays are all mostly long developing plays that our offensive line cannot block for.

Stay with the short passing game and try to do exactly what Brady did to us all game long.

The personnel is atrocious at this point but there are adjustments that teams make all over the league to their gameplan when injuries happen. The Jaguars had 4 linebackers out today. The Chiefs were missing three offensive lineman by the end of the game.

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What are the odds that Gase can convince the Johnsons of this? That he is really a great coach but simply a victim of circumstance?

14. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

No argument there. But like you said, a good coach would at least have the team putting up a fight; he's gotta have the team performing in such a way that people know that when they get some talent, they're going to be dangerous. Instead, I don't think Gase would be able to eek out more than 6 or 7 wins even if he was coaching the Patriots or the Saints. At the end of the day, it's all about the coaching and leadership. Look at us back in 96: Under Kotite, we were 1-15. One year later, under Parcells, with almost the exact same team, we were 9-7.

What would be best for this team is to not win one more game this year, get the #1 overall pick, and trade down a few spots for teams competing for the top QBs. Stock up on draft picks, get an OT and edge rusher as early as possible, and get a decent CB as well. This team might not make the playoffs for another couple years, but they need to start building for it. No more BPA drafts unless the best player is at a position that truly needs an upgrade. Of the "best players" we've drafted, none have amounted to much with the exception of Adams. Either they're underwhelming, or complete busts, and the jury is still out on Darnold.

15. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

If the fanbase and analysts were onboard with this, I'd give him a decent shot of getting a second chance. But he's getting skewered, and rightfully so. A coach can get a pass for having a horrible first year only if he has a record of success beforehand. Case and point: Jimmy Johnson went 1-15 his first year with the Cowboys. But he had rebuilt Oklahoma's program as their head coach and made them a regular powerhouse, then went onto Miami and turned them into probably the greatest college team of the 1980s. So yeah, he deserved the benefit of the doubt. Gase hasn't shown one bit of success, either here or with Miami, that suggests that he deserves more of a chance.

The team was bad last year, but they weren't even close to this bad. Even their good players have regressed badly.

16. Ralebird

Do you really think the Jets should be trading away their own chance to get a top quarterback?

17. Ralebird

This is not about satisfying the fanbase, it's about the Johnsons getting swindled again.

18. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

I’ll give you just a few that come to my mind without doing a deep dive:
    • Matt Rhule (yes, again)
    • Jim Harbaugh
    • Lincoln Riley
    • Matt Campbell
    Oh, you don’t want anything to do with college football coaches? Then I give you this:
    • Greg Roman
    • The Colts’ offensive coordinator which I don’t remember his name right now
    I mean, these are just viable options, feel free to add names.

19. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Well said. I'm never in favor of getting rid of a head coach prior to him getting two years but this is an absolute mess and we're really going to kill our top 3 pick QB in the process if the wrong is not righted.

We need a culture changing coach. Adam Gase seems very much in his own land and has a proven track record of players not liking (i.e. Landry and Pouncey in Miami). Neither of those players are guys who have went other places and proven to be locker room cancers.

I really think this team is very close to quitting on him. Hopefully not because that situation sucks for all involved but I think it's close.

Look at what the 49ers did. Hired Jim Tomsula, who was a disaster so they fired him. Hired Chip Kelly the next year who was another great disaster and also had that dictator type personality with players. They finally found their guy but didn't wait around for him without being proactive.