Kelechi Osemele Released

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFOREVER, Oct 18, 2019.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

It's a big hit to take, salary cap wise. If it's pre existing the Jets are doing the right thing, if Osemele's telling the truth it will haunt them more than Sam's ghosts.
    Either Osemele has lied and effectively ended his career, or the Jets got caught up in a serious mess and will pay for years.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I believe he can be cut before the start of the 2020 season with zero cap hit, and the Jets would save like 11M.

Would cutting him now, or just putting him on IR change any of that?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he's only guaranteed this years salary. the jets can cut him in the offseason with 0 cap penalty. we can cut him know but we have to pay him the rest of the year. same goes if we put him on IR. I don't think osemele is telling the truth here. he's looking towards his next contract in the offseason and wants to be fully healthy for free agency which requires surgery now. If he plays through it and waits until the offseason he won't be healthy when the jets cut him which hurts his value. he may not even be able to find a team until june and he proves he's healthy and will get a 1 year prove it deal by then.

mrmajix likes this.
  4. TonyFtLaud

Being vested, his salary next season is guaranteed for injury so it's $11.2 plus the $5 plus this year. I was thinking it was this years remaining balance but saw it being discussed on NFL Network.
    If it turns out Osemele is lying about this, no team in the league will offer him a deal.

5. TonyFtLaud

It's the injury that complicates things.
    If pre existing, Jets can cut him now with nothing due. If it is new as he is claiming, were on the hook for the reminder of his deal, I'm sure there are off sets so we get relief for any contract hi signs for next season

6. GasedAndConfused

you have a source on that? even if true (not saying it isn't but it's nothing i've heard about personally)
    According to the jets he isn't injured. it's elective surgery he can play through. he wouldn't be guaranteed anything and can be released
    Osemele already said he expects the jets to cut him after this season. He's only guaranteed this season because he was on the roster opening day and anyone who is, is guaranteed their salary for that season in that case. He wants to be healthy for the free agency fully and not have to get surgery or play through it again.
    I really do get both sides on this but have to side with the jets. the injury existed prior to the season and he was playing through it and he signed the deal and is making over 10 mil this year. he can keep his word even if it cost him money in the long run. If he wanted surgery he could have opted to have it earlier and not play through it and still been a raider

7. TonyFtLaud

Like I said, it was a discussion on NFL Network.
    I don't know if Osemele's telling the truth or lying about everything.
    Are you sure he had a torn labrum with the Raiders? I'm aware of his knee injuries, back surgery prior to the Raiders but not this. It would be and well documented, Jets could end this entire ordeal by releasing the injury reports .
    In no way are the Jets claiming he isn't injured. They are saying it's an injury that existed before he was signed, that he has played through and can continue to play through until the end of the season. That agree it will require surgery, just not about the timing.
    I'm hoping it turns out that none of what he's been saying is true.

8. GasedAndConfused

no way for us to know that really. obviously each side is going to spin it in their favor. he had to have passed a physical for the trade to go through. meaning they should have MRIs and such from back then on file. It should be an open and shut case really. Not sure why it has to be an issue but in a season of mono, missed toenails, missed kicks and 3 kickers, and falk at QB might as well pile onto the shit show lol

9. TonyFtLaud

They won't have MRIs of the shoulder from a physical unless he had a prior injury to the shoulder. I couldn't find him ever listed on any injury reports for it.
    Either way this season is a mess, the upcoming schedule will give the gullible false hope while putting premium players out of reach in the draft and limit the chance for a trade back , and even knowing this, we will keep coming back for more......
    Fuck, were all crazy and still argue constantly over this shit show.

grkmanga31 and Cman68 like this.
  10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I still don't take the side of Osemele.

According to him and all of his doctors, this has been an injury he has had since long before this season. He has been playing week after week with the injury.

Now, after he is benched for his poor performance, he is looking to have surgery and be put on the IR? It's not a matter of the doctor's recommending surgery or not. It's the simple fact that he likely has needed surgery for a long time and is only acting on that surgery because he was benched. He sees the writing on the wall, knows he will be cut, and then plays up his injury and uses it as an excuse to get surgery and recover prior to signing another deal elsewhere.

That's total horseshit.

Did the Jets make mistakes through this process? Likely. But Osemele can fuck off with his "I'm looking to do what's best for my health" bullshit.

SOJAZ, mrmajix and grkmanga31 like this.
  11. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I have to admit that I watched those clips of Osemele being interviewed and my gut instinct was that the Jets are in the right in this case.

Who knows. That's just what I felt.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I heard the interviews as well and felt the same way. He was content on continuing to go to doctors until he found one that told him what he wanted to hear.

You can definitely play with torn ligaments in a shoulder. I didn't play NFL football but I played high school ball with torn ligaments and had surgery after the season. It's a pain tolerance kind of thing but it was never anything that seemed insanely unmanageable. I of course didn't go up against 340 pound defensive tackles but still.

On the other hand, I played baseball as well. Trying to throw a baseball with torn ligaments? Extreme pain and absolutely no arm strength. Football is different. Toss a motion restricting brace on that arm and have at it.

The fact is that Osemele didn't play well, he realizes the Jets are 1-5 and he wants to get this taken care of instead of fighting with his team. He may really have some sort of injury but guys always have surgeries in the off-seasons to correct problems they played with all season.

Honestly, forgot the fact that Maccagnan was a horrible talent evaluator. He seems like a terrible people evaluator. Drafting Polite in the 3rd after the rest of the NFL flagged him and now he's out of the NFL is the perfect example of this.

ultrajet, Pepsiguy5 and grkmanga31 like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

it was though. remember when we traded for him he didn't even practice in camp or the 1st few preseason games

14. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out the Jets' position here. If Osemele got a second opinion from a board-certified orthopedist and if that doctor recommended immediate surgery, the Jets may have a problem. This is what the CBA says:

A player shall have the right to follow the reasonable medical advice given to him by his second opinion physician with respect to diagnosis of injury, surgical and treatment decisions, and rehabilitation and treatment protocol, but only after consulting with the club physician and giving due consideration to his recommendations.

Of course, this assumes that this was a second opinion (and not a third, fourth or fifth) and that the second opinion came from a qualified orthopedist. :

Is something else going on here?

#134 Since1969, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You could totally be right. He sees that his career is coming to an end, knows that he isn't a good fit in the Jets' blocking scheme and hasn't been playing effectively/well, and just wants to get all of this last big contract and then retire.

That doesn't sound the player that Osemele has been in his career, however. He works hard in practice and on the field. When he blocks his primary assignment, he looks to help another OL teammate or go to the 2nd level and take someone out. AFAIK, Osemele has never been one to dog it. He plays all out on the field. I also think that he has a lot of pride in his performance as a player. Therefore, I think that it's also possible that even though the injury is pre-existing, Osemele did his best to play through it and gave it his all, but the tear may have gotten worse or started putting pressure on a nerve, and the pain got so bad that he couldn't take it any more. If Mac was stupid enough to offer him a fully-guaranteed contract if he had to get surgery, then he should have had Osemele fully checked out physically and when he discovered that Osemele had a previous should injury that was eventually going to need surgery, should have rescinded that offer and offered him a contract that wasn't guaranteed for injury/surgery. That's on Mac, not Osemele.

Yes, that puts Douglas and the Jets in a real bind for next year, but he accepted the job knowing that he was behind the 8 ball due to Mac's incompetence, and he had time to learn about all the contract situations with players on the team. I sincerely hope that Douglas did not intentionally send a blank CD and try to cheat Osemele. If so, then I will lose a lot of respect for Douglas and lose hope that he is the right man for the Jets' GM job. If his actions do result in the Jets losing a draft pick and/or cap space, then I'll want his ass fired before he ever gets to run a draft or FA. Hopefully, if the NFL does punish the Jets, it will only be a big fine. IMO it would not be appropriate to take away cap space or a draft pick. This is not great PR for the Jets. It makes them look dishonest and even more incompetent.

16. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

Actually he came in a trade for 5th rounder. Just sayin.

17. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He's having surgery today and the team listed him as Doubtful for Sunday LMAO

Acad23 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  18. TonyFtLaud

The league is gonna love that...

19. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

This is a terrible look for the team if true.

20. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Wow, I guarantee this was inspired by crazy Gase--I don't know how anyone can directly support this team right now....via buying sports memorabilia or buying tickets! We need to reject the product they are giving us--this is downright unacceptable.