Kelechi Osemele Released

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFOREVER, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Too bad that doesn't show on an MRI... :confused:

Andy_M, stinkyB and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

We have $44 million in cap space available next season, with 27 free agents. If the Jets allow Osemele to shut down the season due to a pre existing injury , the available cap drops to $27 million. If the Jets can void his contract it rises to $50 million, nearly doubling. We're already in poor shape cap wise given the # of starters and role players set to hit the market .
    It's a numbers game that can make a big difference next off-season.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

and it aint gonna matter how much cap space the Jets have once word gets around the league how poorly they treat their players

4. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

not sure how poorly theyre treating KO, players talk, i think theres more to this than we know. Forcing players to play hurt is not exactly in our history.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They don't treat their players poorly. Sam Darnold and Mosley can attest to that. I wouldn't want any player to sign here who is only coming for the money and to take advantage of the team. I only want players who are committed to: being their best, being professional and winning. When the facts come out, I think the Jets will be vindicated.

6. TonyFtLaud

That explains why no one will sign with NE......
    Players are aware of the game he's trying to run. Most teams would do the same as the Jets.
    It's nice to have a GM with balls for a change.

LAJet and FJF like this.
  7. BrowningNagle

has NE ever pulled a stunt like this? denying an injury - forcing a player to play who is injured? I don't think so

8. BrowningNagle

fair enough, we'll see. but it doesn't look good.

9. BrowningNagle

I don't believe there is such thing as vindication here. Yeah, maybe the league or arbiters rule in favor of the Jets, but the headlines alone and word of mouth around the league is going to blow up before that.

"Jets Forcing Injured Veteran to Play to Save on Surgery Costs" - that's a top headline. that one gets everyone talking.
    "Jets win arbitration hearing with Kelechi Osemele" - buried on the bottom of page 5

It's like they always say - pick your battles.

10. TonyFtLaud

I'm sure it happens more than were aware of. Osemele has taken things pretty far. I'm sure his allegations of blank MRIs and wrong MRIs are completely false.
    That's why this is getting so much press.

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The trade should be voided and he should be Oaklands problem.

12. JerzeJets

JerzeJets Active Member

Woah man this is the jets...that is not how this works lol.

13. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

What's the situation with the two doctors who cleared him? Are they employees of or paid by the team? If so, maybe you can question their objectivity. Did the player get a second from a doctor chosen by and paid for by him? If so, what did that doctor say? If there's a difference between what the team doctors said and what Osemele's doctor said, he may very well win his grievance. On the other hand, if his doctor agreed with the team doctors, he is screwed, blued and tattooed. In the end, this issue will probably boil down to a battle of doctors. Knowing what the various doctors said would give us all a pretty good idea of what's going on here.

wewantsapp likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The players have inside information, they don't get their news from the media. Now if the Jets are in the wrong here, then free agents might stay away. But if it's Osemele's problem, I don't think it'll matter in the long run.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hear what you're saying, but imo it isn't about the surgery costs. Rather, it's about not paying him $11.7 million next season and perhaps getting out of the $6 million they owe him for the rest of this season. It could backfire and hurt the Jets, and it wouldn't surprise me if it did, as we all know if something bad can happen to the Jets, it will. Hopefully, the smarter players and agents will understand that Osemele is just dogging it and trying to screw the Jets and won't hold it against the Jets.

16. TonyFtLaud

The team Dr is not a team employee and is not going to rush their practice to clear a player who should not be cleared.
    That said, he was cleared by the team Dr and an independent DR he saw on his own. Both came to the same conclusion, pre existing injury, will need surgery, can be done after the season.

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

See the article I posted the other day in post #27 here; it explains it all.

18. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Thanks!

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

So, anyone blame K Osemele for not wanting to risk further damage playing for this atrocity?

Hard to after last night. This team can't even identify proper protections let alone execute them.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

no new england doesnt sign injured guys and take on big contracts. they sign guys on the cheap and cut them at the first sign of any issues. everyone is expendable and they would rather pay the price of signing and cutting a guy rather than have any distractions or dick swinging contests.