Kelechi Osemele Released

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFOREVER, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

This should definitely help attract free agents in the future. Good stuff.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The fine he incurred Saturday voids the rest of this years salary upon release. As far as I am understanding it

NCJetsfan and TonyFtLaud like this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Hopefully they will be of a higher quality than most of the FA's that Macc managed to get signed.

Jetsfansince95 likes this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Sanchez? o_O

MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

If they're lazy, money grubbing mercs with no real intention to help the Jets win games, win a Super Bowl then good!!! Please stay away!!!

6. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Are you trying to say that you've been unimpressed with Trumain Johnson thus far? :D

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, I half expected a competent DB worth $36mil. Who knew... :p

stinkyB and Jetsfansince95 like this.
  8. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I would cut him fuck this

Jetsfansince95 likes this.
  9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

One of thr worst free agent signings in NFL history...

10. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

This seems to go against the way the Jets have treated every other injury since Gase and Douglass got here. Actually even before that. The way the Jets are treating this certainly appears like he is being a pussy and trying to collect a big payday without actually doing anything to earn it. You don't know the extent of the injury, but plenty of college players play through shoulder injuries that need surgery and get the surgery done in the off season. Happens all the time. He knows he's going to be traded or cut the way he was playing so this would be a smart move for him.....out due to injury not due to sucking. Not sure he counted on the Jets calling him out on it though.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the Jets front office has fucked this up about as bad as you can

Jake likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

Exactly. there is no "win" for the Jets here. I don't know what the GM/Front Office is thinking. It's all lose lose.

Either Osemele is hurt and the Jets lose his grievance. The Jets become blacklisted by agents around the league, players avoid them like the plague and they possibly get disciplined by the league

OR

The Jets win their grievance and what? Osemele is forced to practice as a malcontent that doesn't even want to play or get fined for some pennies?

neither scenario is good. So stupid. Just IR him and move on

Cman68 and stinkyB like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If you were a player, wouldn't you rather the team pay for your surgery rather than having to pay for it yourself? That in and of itself makes Osemele's handling of this understandable. When you factor in his age, the likelihood that he isn't in the Jets' plans in 2020, and having surgery during the offseason would prevent his from getting another contract until teams saw whether he was healthy, his position is totally understandable. I'm not saying that it's the right thing to do or that I agree with it, but can understand why he is taking the stance he is.

14. NCJetsfan

Me too. I think Douglas does. If indeed both doctors have said that the surgery can wait and that the injury was a pre-existing one dating back before he joined the Jets, then the Jets should have no obligation to pay for the surgery and have every right to expect him to keep playing, especially if he isn't in their future plans.

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Nonsense. The issue is contract value and him dogging it. If the Jets win they void his contract and release his ass. Two doctors already stated he was good enough to practice. We should not bend over for every lazy player that is pushing the system. I had enough of that with worthless Mo and others. You think good teams like NE would put up with that shit?
    Yet another useless free agent acquisition brought to us by Mac.

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

I disagree. While it's certainly possible that the Jets have screwed this up, I don't think they have. If the injury really occurred when he was with the Raiders, the Jets have no obligation to pay for the surgery. He and the Raiders hid the injury in the trade, or Osemele assured the Jets that he could play with the injury. If both doctors have said that the surgery can wait until after the season, then Osemele is just trying to guarantee his money and contract next season, and he's trying to cheat/use the Jets, and I don't blame them for their position.

While it's not great PR, the Jets shouldn't allow themselves to be forced into something they don't want to do (pay for Osemele's surgery or have to keep him on the team and pay him next year). If the injury was pre-existing and the doctors have said that he can play the rest of the season without risking further damage, there's no way the Jets should lose a grievance hearing or arbitration. While I can't blame Osemele for trying this, it doesn't speak well of his character, and he is probably killing his chances of any other team being willing to sign him unless they get desperate. If the Jets win the grievance hearing, if FJF is correct, then they can cut him, save $6 million on the cap this season and save $11.7 million next season. They won't force him to practice or play, they'll just get rid of him as an example to other players that the Jets are no longer suckers and aren't going to accept players coming here just to collect a big contract and then dogging it on the field and in practice.

17. BrowningNagle

it was a trade that brought him here. It had nothing to do with free agency. And that speaks to the broader point - the Jets traded FOR him. You can't have buyers remorse and try to void his contract.

Even if you can (as it seems they are trying to), it is not good for business. Osemele is a respected NFL veteran and an Athletes First client. Athletes First is a powerhouse agency representing many players. Why pick a fight with them over Osemele? so stupid

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I respect your opinion but to me something smells to high heaven with this trade. Character or not, Athletes First reputation or not, the trade was made based on expert medical opinion that he could play at full strength. He has been far from it since day one. I don’t believe he re injured his shoulder, that shoulder was never good enough and apparently not fully disclosed which is not buyer remorse. Might be dead wrong, but I think this was not an above board transaction with the Raiders and Osemele. They Jets IMO are trusting the NFL process to challenge it, and to send a message that we are not the league patsies any more.might backfire, we shall see. Fact Is we absolutely do not need any part of Osemele under these circumstances

SOJAZ and BrowningNagle like this.
  19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Does Trumaine have any pre-existing conditions?

20. NCJetsfan

Laziness and apathy.